Application error cmd.exe

Gary

Aug 31, 2002, 4:49:02 PM8/31/02
Each time I shut down my computer an error message comes
up several times until XP completely shuts down. The
message is "cmd.exe. application error"

DOes anyone know how to correct this probles?

Thank you

Kayode Okeyode

Aug 31, 2002, 7:29:46 PM8/31/02
What application have you installed lately which makes use of cmd.exe? Have a look at your event viewer and scroll to the time when
you shut down xp (they will have a red X - right click and read the details); there might be clues there...
Start > Run > eventvwr.msc

MS KB talks about your problem in the context of Windows NT which is why I believe you must have lately installed an application
which could have caused these messages (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q268722)

--
Kayode Okeyode
My Windows Resource Page:

Kelly

Sep 1, 2002, 12:06:22 AM9/1/02
Hi Gary,

In addition to Kayode's advice.....

Users that claim to have cmd.exe warning messages found this to be the
culprit:

Hello-Kitty.exe W32/Supova.e.worm
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99594.htm

A registry run key is created to load the worm at startup:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Run\Supernova=C:\WINDOWS\BLAARGH.exe

When this worm is executed, it will modify the registry to instruct the
Peer-to-peer (P2P) client KaZaa to use the %Windir%\Media folder as a shared
location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kazaa\LocalContent\
Dir0=012345:C:\WINDOWS\Media\

More information here: W32/Supova.e.worm
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99594.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly