MalwareBytes

royP

Nov 15, 2010, 11:57:55 AM11/15/10

Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?

Peter Taylor

Nov 16, 2010, 7:31:27 AM11/16/10
On 11/15/2010 05:57 PM, royP wrote:
> Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?

Definitely.

--
Peter Taylor

none

Nov 16, 2010, 8:28:10 AM11/16/10
"Peter Taylor" <p...@notspam.com.invalid> wrote in message

> On 11/15/2010 05:57 PM, royP wrote:
> > Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?
> >

> Definitely.

2nd!

Harden Thicke

Nov 16, 2010, 8:46:17 AM11/16/10
Be careful. It is actually a program.
"royP" <royP....@no.email.invalid> wrote in message

~BD~

Nov 16, 2010, 10:37:25 AM11/16/10
royP wrote:
> Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?

Something to think about here:-

http://pcbutts1-therealtruth.blogspot.com/

HTH

Alias

Nov 16, 2010, 10:55:45 AM11/16/10

You deserve to be blocked. It's too bad you're not blocked everywhere.

--
Alias

Jim

Nov 16, 2010, 2:55:29 PM11/16/10
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:57:55 -0600, royP
<royP....@no.email.invalid> wrote:

>Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?

Yes .

Ken Blake, MVP

Nov 16, 2010, 4:25:20 PM11/16/10
<royP....@no.email.invalid> wrote:

> Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?

MalwareBytes is the name of the company. You presumably mean
MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Yes, it's definitely worth downloading and
installing. It's the best anti-spyware program available.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Mint

Nov 16, 2010, 5:14:58 PM11/16/10
On Nov 15, 10:57 am, royP <royP.4ki...@no.email.invalid> wrote:
> Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?

I've used most anti-bad stuff programs including anti-virus ones.

My recommendations.

Use none of those, but do the following.

1.NEVER use the internet or use your email program as an admin.
Use only a limited user account.

2. Don't use the same password

3. Use common sense when visiting places.
" If you hang around a barbershop, you'll get a haircut."

4. Use noscript or similar program.
Don't get lazy with it.

5. If you have other people using the computer, disable all media and
also allow them to use only a L.U. acct.

6. Delete all cookies and only allowed trusted ones.

7. Make sure that Windows Firewall is on. Be judicious in the
exceptions you allow.

8. Monitor very closely what install programs do. Turn off automatic
updates, especially with any Windows O.S.

9. You can use devcon to shut down any device. All it takes is a
simple batch file to turn it on and off.

10. Use msconfig to see what's loading up. Many programs don't ask
permission when installing new services.

11. Have a great time. :-)

Andy

Peter Foldes

Nov 16, 2010, 6:02:23 PM11/16/10
You are a mentally sick lying Troll BD.

Malwarebytes is one of the best if not the best of all of them

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

~BD~

Nov 17, 2010, 7:09:57 AM11/17/10
Peter Foldes wrote:

> Malwarebytes is one of the best if not the best of all of them

Indeed! Read here .....

Quote:

Together, as an initial joint offering, Sunbelt Software and
Malwarebytes have created a dedicated Website portal to offer consumers
free tools to clean systems which have become so infested with malware
that normal PC functions and performance are significantly hindered. The
portal is available at http://vipre.malwarebytes.org. In addition to
this initial first offering, the companies are also working together on
a broad range of initiatives for sharing information on emerging
threats, methods to mitigate risk, and other joint efforts.

"Sunbelt is honored to partner with Malwarebytes on this dedicated
cleaning portal, as well as future initiatives that address new and
emerging threat patterns facing consumers," said Alex Eckelberry, CEO of
Sunbelt Software. "Malwarebytes threat cleansing functionality is a
perfect complement to our leading malware cleaning tools and we hope our
first joint solution will offer home users a powerful tool to ensure the
safety of their home PC."

Ref: http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Press/Releases/?id=346

Harden Thicke

Nov 17, 2010, 8:43:26 AM11/17/10
HoopleHead Alert!
"Mint" <chocolate...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Alias

Nov 17, 2010, 9:25:56 AM11/17/10

I have a much better idea: don't use Windows. Use Linux with a NAT
firewall router enabled and you won't need to worry about malware. My
favorite distro is Linux Mint, available from http://www.linuxmint.com/

--
Alias

What's in a Name?

Nov 17, 2010, 4:52:25 AM11/17/10
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:37:25 +0000
~BD~ came up with this little ditty:

> royP wrote:
> > Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?
>
> Something to think about here:-
>

> troll's page snipped here <

one troll feeds another....
--
tired of viruses,trojans,ad/spyware and all the crap needed to clean+
protect your system? Dump windows and get Puppy Linux!

glee

Nov 17, 2010, 11:43:05 AM11/17/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

The only thing the think about there is why you bother posting a link to
the site of a plagarist, thief and liar, as if it is worth reading.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

~BD~

Nov 17, 2010, 1:02:42 PM11/17/10
glee wrote:
> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> royP wrote:
>>> Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?
>>
>> Something to think about here:-
>>
>> http://pcbutts1-therealtruth.blogspot.com/
>
> The only thing the think about there is why you bother posting a link to
> the site of a plagarist, thief and liar, as if it is worth reading.

Maybe your comment would carry more weight if the link in *your*
signature block provided more relevant and up-to-date information.

http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/default.htm

Ten years old? © Copyright MVP-DTS (DTS-L) 1999 - 2000.

Maybe it's *you* who's the bad lad - no way of knowing, is there?!!!

D.

bobster

Nov 17, 2010, 4:28:05 PM11/17/10
?"~BD~" wrote in message news:9pGdncYh26aoOH_R...@bt.com...

http://pcbutts1-therealtruth.blogspot.com/

HTH

=========================================================================================================

Something else to think about. Is this "support your local Scientologist
week?"

~BD~

Nov 17, 2010, 6:40:57 PM11/17/10
bobster wrote:

> Something else to think about. Is this "support your local Scientologist
> week?"

Unfortunate as it is, the dangers presented by unprotected use of the
Internet are very real, and they are growing every day.

Please help to prevent system intrusions by spreading the word and
telling your Internet friends about these free services. They will
always be free, and they will be enhanced from time to time as other
security needs and problems arise. I'll be glad to drop you a short
eMail note when new solutions or significant improvements are made.
Check out our "User-Managed eMail System" here!

The world's Internet is an incredible facility, but like any powerful
tool it needs to be used with care, wisdom, and caution. Unfortunately,
not everyone with access to the Internet has your best interests at heart.

That's what you will find stated by Steve Gibson - see
http://www.grc.com/default.htm

He's dead right IMO!

Dustin

Nov 17, 2010, 6:53:43 PM11/17/10

> Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?

Yep.

--
Stupidity isn't a crime. So you're free to go.

Dustin

Nov 17, 2010, 6:58:27 PM11/17/10
~BD~ <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in

No, bad advice;

go here:

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/PCBUTTS.TXT
or just use google "pcbutts thief" :)

Malwarebytes is a top notch antimalware program recommended by many
users on a daily basis. It has over 3.4 million! downloads on cnet.com

I've copied the txt file I linked too above. Not for your benefit, BD;
but for the other readers.

Now then, as for you and your reputation...

BD was a user on the malwarebytes forums; but couldn't seem to
understand it's a family oriented site; He posted easter tit shots on
two seperate occasions, the first was deleted by an admin; He did it
again and has since been removed from the forums.

Also, I'm going to disclose that I'm a former employee of malwarebytes
in the definitions/malware research/antipiracy depts... BD has a
personal issue with me as I won't disclose any details further about
what I did for them. The guy believes it's a huge conspiracy.

Anything posted by BoaterDave (BD) should be ignored.

http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=197597102

Analyst's Diary

No good deed goes unpunished

Roel September 06, 2006

I think I speak for just about the entire security industry when I say
that I really value the work of the people who help out on security
forums. These people put in a lot of hard work and effectively it's
all voluntary.

Some of these people create tools to remove certain malware
families/types, and these tools will be very popular within the
communities that they belong too.

Recently the tools created by members of one community have proved so
popular that someone decided to copy them. Most of these tools are
scripts, which means that they can very easily be edited. Normally
editing is done to update the scripts so that they can detect new
malware. Sadly, in this case someone has basically copied the scripts
and put his own name to them.

This copying and taking credit for other people's work has been going
on for quite a while now. Normally ignoring such people is the best
course of action, so as not give them any (more) attention, but I
think a line has been overstepped.

'Pcbutts1' is actively promoting 'his' anti-malware tools which remove
a number of threats. This is what people see when they go to his very
recently updated downloads page.

The people listed on this page are well respected within the security
community and a number of them are actually Microsoft MVPs. It's
'pcbutts1' who is the fraud, not them.

Let's hope 'pcbutts1' grows up - and fast.
Comments:

08.09.2006 07:10 | Atribune

If you dont steal explain to me why smitrem the program you claimed
was your last year had code written by another MVP and myself in it?
You weren't even bright enough to remove my name at the time.
Don't feed us your BS that you arent a thief and that you coded this
for someone, we all know you are full of it.

Dave Nelson

MS MVP Windows - Security

----

08.09.2006 21:03 | i_kenefick Post Reply

I'm sure Roel is up to date :)

Roel, I think I speak for all when I say that yes PCBUTTS1 has
plagiarised his last piece of code. I thank you personally onbehalf of
my feiend and colleague David Lipman (listed on PCBUTTS1 page) for
making this public in the eyes of security vendors. For years he has
protested his innocence in vain in alt.comp.virus/alt.comp.anti-virus.
The truth hurts... time for PCBUTTS1 to feel the pain :-)

Regards, Ian Kenefick

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

----

10.09.2006 02:54 | noahdfear

I too thank you for publishing this, Roel. It's long overdue that
pcbutts get more publicly exposed for the liar and plagiarist he is. I
would also like to mention that he is hosting and distributing several
well known software programs without proper licensing/consent, as well
as distributing quite a number of copyrighted, non-redistributable
files. My hope is that enough people see this blog, and others like
it, to begin completely ignoring and or rejecting his suggestions in
the newsgroups in which he trolls, in addition to more software
vendors and affected authors jumping on-board the impending class
action suit against him.

This person has for the last year or so has been laying claim to
several pieces of software which are used to fight malware. To just
name a few: SmithRem-Used against many of the SmithFraud\Zlob
infections.

NailFix- Used against Aurora\Nail infections.

RogueFix- Used against some variants of SmithFraud

There are others as well. Some of these people he has allegedly ripped
off are Microsoft MVPs.

When confronted he slanders his accusers, calls them vile names and is
overall not someone who you would trust. He changes his Whois info and
tries to hide his identity. He even began to offer help to users via
email to avoid any detection by the security community.
Some of the originators of these scripts are contemplating legal
action. But we all know how well that works on the Net.

The only other recourse is to try and shame him into doing the right
thing. But based on comments found via a Google search for pcbutts
it's an unlikely thing he will because it appears the right thing just
isn't in his genetic make up.

But you can do the right thing, by spreading the word about this
person. You can also do your part by complaining to the ISP hosting
his site at:

Mr. Scott Knowles
Interland Shared Abuse Department Interland, Inc.
303 Peachtree Center Avenue, Suite 500
Atlanta, GA 30303
voice: 404-260-2477, opt 9 (ext 5260)
ab...@interland.com

You are welcome to freely distribute this file to anyone via any
method you see fit. The more people who are informed of this code
thief, the better. His ISP has been contacted over his hosting
programs without permission and they seem to be ignoring us. Please
send them an email letting them know you do not approve hosting
websites that host other peoples programmes without permission. If
your a customer of Interland, please consider doing business with a
more ethical company in the future.

Dustin

Nov 17, 2010, 6:59:31 PM11/17/10

> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>
>> Malwarebytes is one of the best if not the best of all of them
>>

> Indeed! Read here .....

You should read here:

This is what you suggested others read, pcbutts ignorance.. well,
here's the scoop on your source BD. You're a troll. Malwarebytes should
sue you for slander.

Dustin

Nov 17, 2010, 7:00:25 PM11/17/10

> glee wrote:
>> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Something to think about here:-
>>>
>>> http://pcbutts1-therealtruth.blogspot.com/
>>
>> The only thing the think about there is why you bother posting a
>> link to the site of a plagarist, thief and liar, as if it is worth
>> reading.
>

> Maybe your comment would carry more weight if the link in *your*
> signature block provided more relevant and up-to-date information.

Okay.

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/PCBUTTS.TXT

http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=197597102

Analyst's Diary

Roel September 06, 2006

08.09.2006 07:10 | Atribune

Dave Nelson

----

Regards, Ian Kenefick

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

----

10.09.2006 02:54 | noahdfear

Anytime I can force crow down your throat, BD; I'm going to enjoy
doing it. :)

Anne Onime

Nov 17, 2010, 10:46:14 PM11/17/10
I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely up there.

David Brooks, on the other hand, like all friends
and supporters of TheApostle, is filthy pond scum.

"Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ibv2i6$m95$1...@speranza.aioe.org...

> You are a mentally sick lying Troll BD.
>

> Malwarebytes is one of the best if not the best of all of them
>

> --
> Peter
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> royP wrote:
>>> Is MalwareBytes free download worth installing?
>>
>> Something to think about here:-
>>
>> http://pcbutts1-therealtruth.blogspot.com/
>>

>> HTH

glee

Nov 18, 2010, 12:18:52 AM11/18/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

Excuse me, but WTF does the date if the page in my sig have to do with
anything? DTS was formed in the late 90's, the page describing it was
made then, no one updates it any longer, it serves it's purpose as a
descriptive page. No way of knowing? You're dumber than I thought.

~BD~

Nov 18, 2010, 7:15:40 PM11/18/10
glee wrote:
> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> glee wrote:
>>> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

>>> The only thing the think about there is why you bother posting a link to
>>> the site of a plagarist, thief and liar, as if it is worth reading.
>>

>> Maybe your comment would carry more weight if the link in *your*
>> signature block provided more relevant and up-to-date information.
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/default.htm
>>
>> Ten years old? © Copyright MVP-DTS (DTS-L) 1999 - 2000.
>>
>> Maybe it's *you* who's the bad lad - no way of knowing, is there?!!!
>
> Excuse me, but WTF does the date if the page in my sig have to do with
> anything? DTS was formed in the late 90's, the page describing it was
> made then, no one updates it any longer, it serves it's purpose as a
> descriptive page. No way of knowing? You're dumber than I thought.

My apologies for being dumb. :)

I can see you are an old and wise owl, here http://aumha.org/vsop.htm
but I still don't think it right and proper for you to be using such
out-of-date info. in your signature block. Especially when at least one
of those guys is now deceased.

glee

Nov 18, 2010, 8:40:13 PM11/18/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

At least 3 or 4 of the people shown on the members page are now
deceased, and I am missing from the page because the original site was
lost and the pages were replaced with older pages. It continues to be
used as the link for our group because there simply is no other
available any longer, and no one has the time or inclination to set it
up all over again. You'll find a more updated list of DTS-L members on
Kelly Theriot's site:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/dts_pics.htm

The VSOP page on aumha is also out of date by nearly 4 years, because
Jim does not have time to update it any longer...along with most of the
articles on-site. The forums are still active, especially the malware
forums, and we don't have time for updating static pages just to keep
you happy. ;-) You'll find at least one deceased member of DTS-L on
the VSOP page also...so what?

Amazing as it may seem to you, many web pages are not updated regularly
and may be years old...either because the info is static and not in need
of updating, or the page owners do not have the time to keep them
updated. That doesn't change the relevance of the info that is on the
pages.

It's this type of petty quibbling and nit-picking over irrelevant things
that caused a number of DTS-L members to leave the newsgroups in large
part and move to private web forums. Now the groups are an afterthought
as most users move to Microsoft and private web forums, so only a few
even appear here any longer. You'll recognize a few of them by that
outdated link in their signature....why don't you go bother them with
this non-issue?

Peter Foldes

Nov 18, 2010, 11:24:41 PM11/18/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

> glee wrote:
>> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

> My apologies for being dumb. :)

> I can see you are an old and wise owl, here http://aumha.org/vsop.htm but I still
> don't think it right and proper for you to be using such out-of-date info. in your
> signature block. Especially when at least one of those guys is now deceased.

BD

You are Trolling again and doing the same as you did at Ahuma and you were banned
from there for that.
You never learn and you keep on Trolling . Go and get a life you brainless Troll.

~BD~

Nov 19, 2010, 3:55:06 AM11/19/10
Peter Foldes wrote:

[....]

> BD
>
> You are Trolling again and doing the same as you did at Ahuma and you
> were banned from there for that.

I asked questions, yes. Were you following me there? How do you know why
I was banned? Even *I* don't know that! Are you involved there in some
'management' capacity Peter Foldes?

> You never learn and you keep on Trolling . Go and get a life you
> brainless Troll.

My quest for knowledge knows no bounds! :)

Tell me, Peter - are you a member of this organisation?

http://www.aumha-oto.org/thelema.html

Do you think I would benefit from becoming a member? I like the motto:

*Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law*

Regards

Dave

~BD~

Nov 19, 2010, 5:08:47 AM11/19/10
glee wrote:
[....]

> At least 3 or 4 of the people shown on the members page are now
> deceased, and I am missing from the page because the original site was
> lost and the pages were replaced with older pages. It continues to be
> used as the link for our group because there simply is no other
> available any longer, and no one has the time or inclination to set it
> up all over again. You'll find a more updated list of DTS-L members on
> Kelly Theriot's site:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/dts_pics.htm

I did look there, with a number of different browsers, but clicking on
the 'picture' produced a nil result. Does clicking on that picture
'work' for you?

Interesting that in these days of being so security conscious, actual
dates of birth have been posted to the web forever!

> The VSOP page on aumha is also out of date by nearly 4 years, because
> Jim does not have time to update it any longer...along with most of the
> articles on-site. The forums are still active, especially the malware
> forums, and we don't have time for updating static pages just to keep
> you happy. ;-) You'll find at least one deceased member of DTS-L on the
> VSOP page also...so what?

OK - just as long as no one is up to mischief! ;-)

Maybe you could get your prime mover, Robear Dyer (AKA PA Bear) to come
back to this group and apologise for having lied about me being banned
by ISP's - I'd accept if he provided a satisfactory explanation.

> Amazing as it may seem to you, many web pages are not updated regularly
> and may be years old...either because the info is static and not in need
> of updating, or the page owners do not have the time to keep them
> updated. That doesn't change the relevance of the info that is on the
> pages.
>
> It's this type of petty quibbling and nit-picking over irrelevant things
> that caused a number of DTS-L members to leave the newsgroups in large
> part and move to private web forums. Now the groups are an afterthought
> as most users move to Microsoft and private web forums, so only a few
> even appear here any longer. You'll recognize a few of them by that
> outdated link in their signature....why don't you go bother them with
> this non-issue?

I appreciate your comments Glen. It is much better to communicate than
simply ban someone from posting. On a number of occasions when I was
posting on the AumHa forums, threads were locked by 'the management'
without, IMO, good reason. Such action instils suspicion that all is not
quite as it should be.

I've visited many of the web sites illustrated here, btw.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_dtsl_web_sites.htm

Lots of expertise and effort have gone into creating same, I'm sure.

Strange thing though - I have *never* seen any post on Aumha made by
Kelly Theriot, ever! However, I really do like what written at the
bottom of Jim's page, here! http://aumha.org/about.htm

Regards

Dave

glee

Nov 19, 2010, 11:22:15 PM11/19/10

> glee wrote:
> [....]
>>
>> At least 3 or 4 of the people shown on the members page are now
>> deceased, and I am missing from the page because the original site
>> was
>> lost and the pages were replaced with older pages. It continues to be
>> used as the link for our group because there simply is no other
>> available any longer, and no one has the time or inclination to set
>> it
>> up all over again. You'll find a more updated list of DTS-L members
>> on
>> Kelly Theriot's site:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/dts_pics.htm
>
> I did look there, with a number of different browsers, but clicking on
> the 'picture' produced a nil result. Does clicking on that picture
> 'work' for you?

No pictures. They used to work. Kelly has apparently moved some things
around and it's broken. Just as well, considering some of the mugs
involved! :)

> Interesting that in these days of being so security conscious, actual
> dates of birth have been posted to the web forever!

A birthday without the birth year is not very useful, in terms of
identity security. It really isn't a risk since the years are not
included.

> snip

> Maybe you could get your prime mover, Robear Dyer (AKA PA Bear) to
> come back to this group and apologise for having lied about me being
> banned by ISP's - I'd accept if he provided a satisfactory
> explanation.

I don't know anything about why you were banned....I was busy working
and never read any interchanges between you and Robear, or anyone else.
I don't know what he told you, or anything about what you refer to. As
for Robear being my "prime mover"....you're joking, right?

> snip

> Strange thing though - I have *never* seen any post on Aumha made by
> Kelly Theriot, ever! However, I really do like what written at the
> bottom of Jim's page, here! http://aumha.org/about.htm

I don't know what you are referring to at the bottom of that page.

~BD~

Nov 21, 2010, 6:31:01 AM11/21/10
glee wrote:
> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> glee wrote:
>> [....]
>>>
>>> At least 3 or 4 of the people shown on the members page are now
>>> deceased, and I am missing from the page because the original site was
>>> lost and the pages were replaced with older pages. It continues to be
>>> used as the link for our group because there simply is no other
>>> available any longer, and no one has the time or inclination to set it
>>> up all over again. You'll find a more updated list of DTS-L members on
>>> Kelly Theriot's site:
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/dts_pics.htm
>>
>> I did look there, with a number of different browsers, but clicking on
>> the 'picture' produced a nil result. Does clicking on that picture
>> 'work' for you?
>
> No pictures. They used to work. Kelly has apparently moved some things
> around and it's broken. Just as well, considering some of the mugs
> involved! :)

OK - thanks. I understand about the 'mugs'! :)

>> Interesting that in these days of being so security conscious, actual
>> dates of birth have been posted to the web forever!
>
> A birthday without the birth year is not very useful, in terms of
> identity security. It really isn't a risk since the years are not included.

I agree. Some folk go a bit OTT about such matters. ;-)

>> Maybe you could get your prime mover, Robear Dyer (AKA PA Bear) to
>> come back to this group and apologise for having lied about me being
>> banned by ISP's - I'd accept if he provided a satisfactory explanation.
>
> I don't know anything about why you were banned....I was busy working
> and never read any interchanges between you and Robear, or anyone else.
> I don't know what he told you, or anything about what you refer to. As
> for Robear being my "prime mover"....you're joking, right?

When I said 'prime mover' I simply referred to him having made more
posts at Aumha than *anyone* else. More than 21000 last time I looked
(more than 10 times as many as you!).

As far as I can tell I evidently upset Robear and Bill Castner by
admitting that I was 'testing' an Enterprise (? Corporate) version of
Symantec Anti-Virus which had been 'lent' to me by one of the corporate
clients with whom I used to deal before I retired.

Funny things happen on the Internet. Here's a copy of the email message
I received from (supposedly) Jim Eshelman on 8 March 2008. Does the
language used seem in accord with the Jim you know and love?

Might you 'have his ear' perhaps, and ask if I may be reinstated now?
Just a thought! 8-)

**

Dave,

I have just disabled your account on AumHa.net. I will do some surgical
work to remove the contents of some of your posts.

You are permanently banned. There is no basis for appeal. I gave you
breaks and opportunities, and you abused them. I told you what you had
to avoid doing, and you did it anyway.

If we discover that you attempt to register on this forum under any
other identity, you will be disabled. Under those circumstances, I am
asking my co-administrators to contact whatever ISP you are then using
and attempt to get your account revoked under the ISP's anti-abuse rules.

Do not attempt to contact me, or I will contact whatever ISP you use and
attempt to get your account revoked under the ISP's anti-abuse rules.
(Or, I may simply delete your emails.)

I regret that I have to take such a stand. You have given me no other
reasonable choice.

--
Jim Eshelman

**

>> Strange thing though - I have *never* seen any post on Aumha made by
>> Kelly Theriot, ever! However, I really do like what written at the
>> bottom of Jim's page, here! http://aumha.org/about.htm
>
> I don't know what you are referring to at the bottom of that page.

I quote:

All information given on all parts of the Windows Support Center Web
site, is probably wrong. All content is provided only for entertainment
purposes. I cannot guarantee, and do not guarantee, that any information
provided here will work on any computer system for any user at any time.
Worse yet, I sometimes make mistakes (that�s life!), and it is possibly
I made one or more of them here. All information herein is offered as-is
and without warranty of any kind. You take your life in your own hands
if you trust me on any of it. Bad things may happen to you, and you have
only yourself to blame. Neither James Eshelman, this site, outside
contributors to this site, people quoted on this site, nor my cat Ares
is/are responsible for any loss, injury, or damage, direct or
consequential, resulting from application of any information presented here.

**

HTH

Dave

~BD~

Nov 23, 2010, 2:30:19 AM11/23/10

Some unanswered questions here!

D.

~BD~

Nov 23, 2010, 2:36:35 AM11/23/10
~BD~ wrote:
> glee wrote:
[....]

>> I don't know anything about why you were banned....I was busy working
>> and never read any interchanges between you and Robear, or anyone else.
>> I don't know what he told you, or anything about what you refer to. As
>> for Robear being my "prime mover"....you're joking, right?
>

> When I said 'prime mover' I simply referred to him having made more
> posts at Aumha than *anyone* else. More than 21000 last time I looked
> (more than 10 times as many as you!).
>
> As far as I can tell I evidently upset Robear and Bill Castner by
> admitting that I was 'testing' an Enterprise (? Corporate) version of
> Symantec Anti-Virus which had been 'lent' to me by one of the corporate
> clients with whom I used to deal before I retired.
>
> Funny things happen on the Internet. Here's a copy of the email message
> I received from (supposedly) Jim Eshelman on 8 March 2008. Does the
> language used seem in accord with the Jim you know and love?
>
> Might you 'have his ear' perhaps, and ask if I may be reinstated now?
> Just a thought! 8-)

I was being serious.

I'd much appreciate a response from you, Glen.

[....]

Dave

glee

Nov 23, 2010, 12:18:33 PM11/23/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

I don't have Jim's "ear", nor does anyone else at aumha at the moment.
He's been proprietor in absentia for some time now, due to heavy work
obligations. No one's been in touch with him on site issues in a long
long time. If Jim banned you permanently, he surely had his reasons (I
do not know them), and only he could change it. Since he has not
responded to messages in some time, I see no options there for you.

~BD~

Nov 23, 2010, 6:42:05 PM11/23/10
glee wrote:
[....]

> I don't have Jim's "ear", nor does anyone else at aumha at the moment.
> He's been proprietor in absentia for some time now, due to heavy work
> obligations. No one's been in touch with him on site issues in a long
> long time. If Jim banned you permanently, he surely had his reasons (I
> do not know them), and only he could change it. Since he has not
> responded to messages in some time, I see no options there for you.

Thank you for your reply, Glen.

Do you consider still Aumha a 'safe' place for folk to go to seek
answers to their computing woes?

I noticed that there are many hundreds of 'members' who have 'signed up'
- but who have never made a single post. I find that odd, as one can
read messages posted without 'joining', an action only required if one
wishes to *make* a post.

Similarly, have you any reason to doubt the security of people who go to
Annexcafe User2User for advice on computing matters?

Thanks for sparing the time to satisfy my curiosity!

Dave

glee

Nov 23, 2010, 9:38:05 PM11/23/10

> glee wrote:
> [....]
>>
>> I don't have Jim's "ear", nor does anyone else at aumha at the
>> moment.
>> He's been proprietor in absentia for some time now, due to heavy work
>> obligations. No one's been in touch with him on site issues in a long
>> long time. If Jim banned you permanently, he surely had his reasons
>> (I
>> do not know them), and only he could change it. Since he has not
>> responded to messages in some time, I see no options there for you.
>

> Thank you for your reply, Glen.
>
> Do you consider still Aumha a 'safe' place for folk to go to seek
> answers to their computing woes?

A safe place? Why would it not be a "safe place"? Most of the same
core group of moderators and users has been there for years. It is
probably "safer" than most help forums, inasmuch as the admins and
moderators keep very close track of spamming ans other issues. Your
question is very odd. The help supplied there in my opinion is much
more in-depth than many other forums I have visited or been involved
with.

> I noticed that there are many hundreds of 'members' who have 'signed
> up' - but who have never made a single post. I find that odd, as one
> can read messages posted without 'joining', an action only required if
> one wishes to *make* a post.

So? Your point is what? People register at sites all the time and
don't post. many people register at multiple sites when they have a
problem, and post at the one that completes their registration first.
This seems particularly true for people with malware issues. Again, I
find your question odd and somewhat irrelevant.

> Similarly, have you any reason to doubt the security of people who go
> to Annexcafe User2User for advice on computing matters?

I still don't know what you are getting at. What do you mean by "the
security of people" who go there? Annexcafe has its own newsgroups. I
have not used them, have never found any useful info that originated
there when doing a web or group search on an issue. I can't comment on
their groups other than to note that.....and the fact that their home
page plays some gawd-awful music when it loads, and I immensely dislike
pages that do that! :)

Peter Foldes

Nov 23, 2010, 11:34:19 PM11/23/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

You are Trolling again as usual David. Leave people alone with your witch hunt for
bad people as you say. You have been hitting on everyone that does not know you and
answers to you with the same crap as you present it. Ahuma and Annexcafe and
Malwarebytes .They all threw you out (banned you ) for the same reasons. So did a
few other servers and at least one ISP. Robear will verify as will David
Lipman,Kelly, Steve (Cochran )and most MVP's that came in contact with.All of them
plonked you to this present day. Get a life already and stop beating a dead horse
and leave people like Glenn be with your irritating and stupid drive to try and get
yourself re-instated which will never happen.

glee

Nov 25, 2010, 11:18:30 AM11/25/10
"Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I think your virtual spanking worked, Peter! ;-)

~BD~

Nov 25, 2010, 7:04:51 PM11/25/10
glee wrote:
<snip>

> I think your virtual spanking worked, Peter! ;-)

So far, Glen, you appear to have spoken as straight as a die. Thanks.

Do you actually *know* the persona known as Peter Foldes? He's stated
that this is *not* his real name. Do you actually *know* Robear Dyer?

*Both have lied*. No doubt. A fact!

I have no idea *why* they have done so, but the truth *will* out! :)

Dave

choro

Nov 25, 2010, 7:08:53 PM11/25/10
"Harden Thicke" <har...@hthicke.invalid> wrote in message
> Be careful. It is actually a program.

What the bloody fuck do you mean, it is actually a program? Of course it is
a program. What else could it be you stupid bugger?

glee

Nov 25, 2010, 10:33:29 PM11/25/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

I don't know Peter Foldes and frankly don't care whether that's his real
name or not. Many people do not use their real name in groups. I do
know Robear Dyer, personally.

Whatever....

~BD~

Nov 26, 2010, 7:03:12 AM11/26/10
glee wrote:

> I do know Robear Dyer, personally.

Maybe you'll ask him *why* he was so irritated by my questions - and why
he lied about me being banned by ISPs. I have *never* been banned by
*any* ISP - *ever*!

Btw, it's good to see you helping out folk on this newsgroup! :)

Dave

~BD~

Nov 27, 2010, 10:37:19 AM11/27/10
glee wrote:

> I don't know Peter Foldes and frankly don't care whether that's his real
> name or not. Many people do not use their real name in groups.

Glen,

If you can spare a moment or two, I'd appreciate you taking a quick look
at this message <OMCdnZwVcflugmzR...@bt.com>

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3COMCdnZwVcflugmzRnZ2dnUVZ8rqdnZ2d%40bt.com%3E

Is what Foldes says about having copies of all my posts, simply because
he has a server, realistic? Will he have copies of the posts made by
*everyone* on the Annexcafe server, simply because he (PF) has a server
too? Maybe it's just as he says. I'm simply curious!

TIA

Dave

~BD~

Nov 28, 2010, 6:38:55 PM11/28/10
glee wrote:
> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> glee wrote:
>> [....]
>>>
>>> I don't have Jim's "ear", nor does anyone else at aumha at the moment.
>>> He's been proprietor in absentia for some time now, due to heavy work
>>> obligations. No one's been in touch with him on site issues in a long
>>> long time. If Jim banned you permanently, he surely had his reasons (I
>>> do not know them), and only he could change it. Since he has not
>>> responded to messages in some time, I see no options there for you.
>>

>> Thank you for your reply, Glen.
>>
>> Do you consider still Aumha a 'safe' place for folk to go to seek
>> answers to their computing woes?
>
> A safe place? Why would it not be a "safe place"? Most of the same core
> group of moderators and users has been there for years. It is probably
> "safer" than most help forums, inasmuch as the admins and moderators
> keep very close track of spamming ans other issues. Your question is
> very odd. The help supplied there in my opinion is much more in-depth
> than many other forums I have visited or been involved with.

It seems to me that a great deal of trust is required by those folk who
go there to have their machines 'cleaned'. Often 'unknown' software is
required to be downloaded onto a 'victim's' computer and instructions
carried out without any clue (by just about everyone!) what effect that
will have on their machine.

What a super ruse it would be - to clear a machine of everyone else's
'nasties' but then, perhaps, leave their own package installed on the
user's machine. No one would ever suspect, would they?

>> I noticed that there are many hundreds of 'members' who have 'signed
>> up' - but who have never made a single post. I find that odd, as one
>> can read messages posted without 'joining', an action only required if
>> one wishes to *make* a post.
>
> So? Your point is what? People register at sites all the time and don't
> post. many people register at multiple sites when they have a problem,
> and post at the one that completes their registration first. This seems
> particularly true for people with malware issues. Again, I find your
> question odd and somewhat irrelevant.

I was fascinated by the fact that the dividing line between those that
post and those that don't is GC Jones - who has a web site here
http://ordoaa.org/

This is mentioned in detail in the thread here:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10751&st=0

Maybe you'll see the connection with *THIS* thread 'subject' now!

>> Similarly, have you any reason to doubt the security of people who go
>> to Annexcafe User2User for advice on computing matters?
>
> I still don't know what you are getting at. What do you mean by "the
> security of people" who go there? Annexcafe has its own newsgroups. I
> have not used them, have never found any useful info that originated
> there when doing a web or group search on an issue. I can't comment on
> their groups other than to note that.....and the fact that their home
> page plays some gawd-awful music when it loads, and I immensely dislike
> pages that do that! :)

OK - I've not heard the music to which you refer. Would you please post
a link to the URL where you hear same? TIA

--
Dave

~BD~

Nov 28, 2010, 7:16:46 PM11/28/10
Peter Foldes wrote:

> You are Trolling again as usual David. Leave people alone with your
> witch hunt for bad people as you say. You have been hitting on everyone
> that does not know you and answers to you with the same crap as you
> present it. Ahuma and Annexcafe and Malwarebytes .They all threw you out
> (banned you ) for the same reasons.

That is not true.

As I'm sure Dustin Cook will confirm, Malwarebytes was simply concerned
about me posting a saucy Easter Card for Dustin. No other reason AFAIK.

> So did a few other servers and at
> least one ISP. Robear will verify as will David Lipman,Kelly, Steve
> (Cochran )and most MVP's that came in contact with.

Then they are all lying. I've *never* been banned by *any* ISP - *ever*!

> All of them plonked you to this present day.

Do I care? Should I care?

> Get a life already and stop beating a dead
> horse and leave people like Glenn be with your irritating and stupid
> drive to try and get yourself re-instated which will never happen.

I wonder *why* you do not understand. <puzzled>

This has *never* been about wanting to be re-instated.

My concern has always been that I was banned simply for asking searching
questions - now why was that? Something to hide?

Good and honest folk will discuss points even if/when viewpoints differ.

--
Dave - crossposted to SE so Dustin will not miss my mention of him.

Dustin

Nov 28, 2010, 8:15:44 PM11/28/10
~BD~ <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in

> Peter Foldes wrote:
>
>> You are Trolling again as usual David. Leave people alone with your
>> witch hunt for bad people as you say. You have been hitting on
>> everyone that does not know you and answers to you with the same
>> crap as you present it. Ahuma and Annexcafe and Malwarebytes .They
>> all threw you out (banned you ) for the same reasons.
>
> That is not true.
>
> As I'm sure Dustin Cook will confirm, Malwarebytes was simply
> concerned about me posting a saucy Easter Card for Dustin. No other
> reason AFAIK.

I'm unable to confirm the story as you've spun it. Sorry.

> Do I care? Should I care?

If your claim of wanting knowledgeable persons reading your drivel and
providing their opinions; then you should Care. Unless...Well, you're
trolling? :)

> My concern has always been that I was banned simply for asking
> searching questions - now why was that? Something to hide?

What searching questions? You accused people of causing your hard disk
to fail.

> Good and honest folk will discuss points even if/when viewpoints
> differ.

I'm sure they gave you a chance as I did, until you just kept asking
the same questions and not understanding a word they said. You'd just
keep nodding your head and generally annoying us all.

--
Hackers are generally only very weakly motivated by conventional
rewards such as social approval or money. They tend to be attracted by

~BD~

Nov 28, 2010, 8:15:59 PM11/28/10
~BD~ noted there's still some unanswered questions here!

>> I asked questions, yes. Were you following me there? How do you know why
>> I was banned? Even *I* don't know that! Are you involved there in some
>> 'management' capacity Peter Foldes?
>>
>>> You never learn and you keep on Trolling . Go and get a life you
>>> brainless Troll.
>>
>> My quest for knowledge knows no bounds! :)
>>
>> Tell me, Peter - are you a member of this organisation?
>>
>> http://www.aumha-oto.org/thelema.html
>>
>> Do you think I would benefit from becoming a member? I like the motto:
>>
>> *Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law*
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Dave

Mr. Eshelman is presently Chancellor of the College of Thelema. He
serves as Prolocutor-General of the Temple of Thelema, which he
co-founded in 1987 with Anna Kria King and Phyllis Seckler. He is a
former Grand Chief of Fraternitas L.V.X. Occulta (Fraternity of Hidden
Light).

He is the author of the acclaimed book "The Mystical & Magical System of
the A.'.A.'."

It says so here: http://www.aiwass.org/lecture/

D.

glee

Nov 28, 2010, 10:51:53 PM11/28/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

SO WHAT?! Now you are attacking people based on religious or
metaphysical beliefs? Enough of this BS!

glee

Nov 28, 2010, 10:49:43 PM11/28/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

This is really starting to become annoying. So someone is registered on
a forum and has never posted there....SO WHAT?! So someone is
registered on a forum and they have a mysticism web site....SO WHAT?!
Looking at the thread you linked at the malwarebytes forum (where you
are also banned), it's just you re-hashing paranoid suspicions, none of
which has any importance as far as I'm concerned, and is also very old
news I'm not interested in having this ridiculous discussion.

As for the web site with the music, it's the site you asked
about....quoting you: "Annexcafe User2User"
Google it and you will go here:
http://www.annexcafe.com/homepage.cfm/annexcafe.general.user2user

I'm done here.....

~BD~

Nov 29, 2010, 4:33:19 AM11/29/10
glee wrote:
> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

[....]

>> OK - I've not heard the music to which you refer. Would you please
>> post a link to the URL where you hear same? TIA
>
> This is really starting to become annoying. So someone is registered on
> a forum and has never posted there....SO WHAT?! So someone is registered
> on a forum and they have a mysticism web site....SO WHAT?! Looking at
> the thread you linked at the malwarebytes forum (where you are also
> banned), it's just you re-hashing paranoid suspicions, none of which has
> any importance as far as I'm concerned, and is also very old news I'm
> not interested in having this ridiculous discussion.

The point was simply that that particular 'person' is long since dead
and buried - now just a symbol of the dividing line between posters and
non-posters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cecil_Jones

> As for the web site with the music, it's the site you asked
> about....quoting you: "Annexcafe User2User"
> Google it and you will go here:
> http://www.annexcafe.com/homepage.cfm/annexcafe.general.user2user

Well, I have gone 'here' as you suggest
http://www.annexcafe.com/homepage.cfm/annexcafe.general.user2user

And I can hear *NO* music playing!

So, now this becomes a technical query - how come *you* hear music and
yet I do not? (yes, I can hear sounds from other sources!)

D.

~BD~

Nov 29, 2010, 4:45:22 AM11/29/10
glee wrote:
[....]

>> Mr. Eshelman is presently Chancellor of the College of Thelema. He
>> serves as Prolocutor-General of the Temple of Thelema, which he
>> co-founded in 1987 with Anna Kria King and Phyllis Seckler. He is a
>> former Grand Chief of Fraternitas L.V.X. Occulta (Fraternity of Hidden
>> Light).
>>
>> He is the author of the acclaimed book "The Mystical & Magical System
>> of the A.'.A.'."
>>
>> It says so here: http://www.aiwass.org/lecture/
>
> SO WHAT?! Now you are attacking people based on religious or
> metaphysical beliefs? Enough of this BS!

How on earth do you construe what I said as an *attack*?

It was simply an observation! :)

There's even Facebook info too
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=203257013391&set=a.103077053391.92769.56545783391

I'm very interested in the subject matter and have, myself, Aleister
Crowley's book entitled 'Magick'

You have a great day, Glen!

D.

Peter Foldes

Nov 29, 2010, 5:23:49 AM11/29/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message news:4-mdnZrtaML97m7R...@bt.com...

> glee wrote:
>> "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

> Well, I have gone 'here' as you suggest
> http://www.annexcafe.com/homepage.cfm/annexcafe.general.user2user
>
> And I can hear *NO* music playing!
>
> So, now this becomes a technical query - how come *you* hear music and
> yet I do not? (yes, I can hear sounds from other sources!)

Using a Mac are we ? And on top of it you started your Trolling with Glee

Bullwinkle

Harden Thicke

Nov 29, 2010, 9:16:10 AM11/29/10
The only unanswered question is why you haven't been locked up, yet.

"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

Harden Thicke

Nov 29, 2010, 9:17:42 AM11/29/10

"choro" <ch...@tvco.net> wrote in message

> "Harden Thicke" <har...@hthicke.invalid> wrote in message
>> Be careful. It is actually a program.
>
> What the bloody fuck do you mean, it is actually a program? Of course it
> is a program. What else could it be you stupid bugger?

A non-program.

~BD~

Nov 29, 2010, 11:34:14 PM11/29/10
Peter Foldes wrote:
> "~BD~"<~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message news:4-mdnZrtaML97m7R...@bt.com...
>> glee wrote:
>>> "~BD~"<~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message
>

>> Well, I have gone 'here' as you suggest
>> http://www.annexcafe.com/homepage.cfm/annexcafe.general.user2user
>>
>> And I can hear *NO* music playing!
>>
>> So, now this becomes a technical query - how come *you* hear music and
>> yet I do not? (yes, I can hear sounds from other sources!)
>>

> Using a Mac are we ? And on top of it you started your Trolling with Glee

Yes, I *am* using my iMac. Why is that of relevance?

I was having a general *discussion* with Glen about how Aumha is set up
with regard to its Membership list. He knows about it because he is one
of their VSOP staff members. He did seem a little irritated though,
unnecessarily in my opinion. Do you know why that might be, Peter?

Anyway - How and why does that constitute 'trolling'?

glee

Nov 29, 2010, 11:55:12 PM11/29/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

This is my last response to you. We have NOT been having a "general
discussion"...you started out trying to get me to find out for you why
you were banned by AumHa forums, then you went off on totally irrelevant
tangents about list members who have never posted. I already told you,
I was not involved in your banning, I did not follow your threads on
AumHa and don't know anything about your banning. I am a moderator and
user on the AumHa forums, NOT an administrator. I will not discuss any
administrative actions involving another forum, even if I was an
administrator. If you have an issue with your forum banning, take it up
with the forum admins, who are readily identifiable on the forum as they
are labeled as such.

I have every reason to be irritated, as I have already made it clear I
am not going to pursue this, and I am damn tired of you constant
"cross-examination." I can see now why you have been banned from
multiple forums.....and yes you ARE trolling, as you have pursued this
with numerous people on newsgroups and other forums for the past year or
more. You obviously do not know when enough is enough....but I do.
Goodbye!

~BD~

Nov 30, 2010, 4:40:46 AM11/30/10
Dustin wrote:
> ~BD~<~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in
>
>> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>
>>> You are Trolling again as usual David. Leave people alone with your
>>> witch hunt for bad people as you say. You have been hitting on
>>> everyone that does not know you and answers to you with the same
>>> crap as you present it. Ahuma and Annexcafe and Malwarebytes .They
>>> all threw you out (banned you ) for the same reasons.
>>
>> That is not true.
>>
>> As I'm sure Dustin Cook will confirm, Malwarebytes was simply
>> concerned about me posting a saucy Easter Card for Dustin. No other
>> reason AFAIK.
>
> I'm unable to confirm the story as you've spun it. Sorry.

Well I must admit to being just a little surprised by your comment
Dustin. I'm sure others on SE might be a little confused too, you having
made such a song and dance about it at the time.

>> Do I care? Should I care?
>
> If your claim of wanting knowledgeable persons reading your drivel and
> providing their opinions; then you should Care. Unless...Well, you're
> trolling? :)

I do try and make it a mixed bag! ;-)

>> My concern has always been that I was banned simply for asking
>> searching questions - now why was that? Something to hide?
>
> What searching questions? You accused people of causing your hard disk
> to fail.

Maybe you should read my posts here, at what was Tom Coyote

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?s=659b993e9c558fcdaffef9a09e8f04ee&showtopic=58382&pid=261903&st=0&

My question was "Do you know much about Rootkits?, Can I check a CD to
see if it contains a rootkit?" (Note the date)

The folk at Annexcafe U2U were probably unaware that I was not simply
relying on advice from them - nor was I asking questions only on the
Microsoft Communities groups!

>> Good and honest folk will discuss points even if/when viewpoints
>> differ.
>
> I'm sure they gave you a chance as I did, until you just kept asking
> the same questions and not understanding a word they said. You'd just
> keep nodding your head and generally annoying us all.

I must be a real disappointment to you, being so dumb an' all. :(

Just remember this, Dustin. It was Peter Foldes (via an email from Kuay
Tim) who *invited* me* to go to a private server - I would *never* have
known about Annexcafe otherwise. I *was* suspicious from the get go!

My take on this was it was to stop me asking questions about Cybercrime
'in public' as it were. They failed!

HTH

D.

~BD~

Nov 30, 2010, 4:50:33 AM11/30/10
glee had a major rant!

I obviously touched a nerve! ;-)

My post was actually directed to _Peter Foldes_ with regard to why Glen
hears music at a particular URL - when I do not.

Whatever prompted this reaction from 'glee'? <shrug>

More importantly - why does he hear music and I don't?

Dave

~BD~

Nov 30, 2010, 5:12:44 AM11/30/10
Dustin wrote:
> ~BD~<~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
>
>> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>>
>>> Malwarebytes is one of the best if not the best of all of them
>>>

>> Indeed! Read here .....
>
> You should read here:
>
> This is what you suggested others read, pcbutts ignorance.. well,
> here's the scoop on your source BD. You're a troll. Malwarebytes should
> sue you for slander.

Perhaps you will explain *for all to see* exactly what I have said which
you believe is slanderous. That would be a start to clearing up your
confusion. In the meantime ......

New Version!
************

Now! Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50

Windows (All) / Shareware; $24.95 / 8,184,490 downloads

- Overall Improvements:
*********************

- 1. Dramatically improved scan speed: up to 5 times faster

- 2. Dramatically improved stability of both the scanner and protection
module (paid version only)

- 3. More responsive: program loads up to 3 times faster, and protection
module has lower impact on system resources (paid version only)

- 4. New internal detection algorithms enable detection of more
real-world malware

- New Features:
*************

- 1. You can now add files and folders to the ignore list manually

- 2. Ability to schedule and unschedule scans and updates from the
command line (paid version only)

- 3. Notifications of blocked malicious websites now include additional
details such as type, port, and process on Windows Vista and higher

- 4. Ability to include or exclude potentially unwanted programs (PUP),
potentially unwanted system modifications (PUM), and peer-to-peer
software (P2P) from scans and protection module detections

- 5. Dramatically improved flash scan (paid version only) -- designed to
determine whether a more in-depth scan is needed, in less than 10
seconds on many machines

- 6. One-touch easy-to-use option to keep protection up-to-date
automatically (paid version only)

- 7. "Warn if database is outdated by:" option now warns if the database
is far out-of-date (7 days by default), including for protection (paid
version only)

- 8. Ability to scan system startup locations for improved detection and
to target persistent malware that may be obstructing removal

- 9. Right-click context menu scans now use heuristics

- Issues Fixed:
*************

- 1. Improved compatibility with antivirus software

- 2. Fixed issue with "Recover if missed by" setting in scheduler not
working correctly on Windows 2000 and Windows XP

- 3. Fixed issue with "Recover if missed by" setting in scheduler not
working for scans and updates scheduled to run 'Once'

- 4. Fixed issue with Heuristics.Shuriken causing the program to freeze
or crash

- 5. Fixed issue with certain infections going undetected by the
protection module in 64-bit Windows versions

- 6. Fixed issue with silent scans not creating logs in certain scenarios

******

Ref:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

Peter Foldes

Nov 30, 2010, 8:35:39 AM11/30/10
"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message news:1I2dne0p3ZOBU2nR...@bt.com...

> Dustin wrote:
>> ~BD~<~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in

>> This is what you suggested others read, pcbutts ignorance.. well,

>> here's the scoop on your source BD. You're a troll. Malwarebytes should
>> sue you for slander.
>
> Perhaps you will explain *for all to see* exactly what I have said which
> you believe is slanderous. That would be a start to clearing up your
> confusion. In the meantime ......
>
> New Version!
> ************
>
> Now! Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50
>

> Windows (All) / Shareware; $24.95 / 8,184,490 downloads
>

> - Overall Improvements:
> *********************

BD

ROFLMAO. Wow ,the spin of all spins.How do you manage to do this is beyond my simpleton understanding

Harden Thicke

Nov 30, 2010, 8:41:35 AM11/30/10
You are stark raving mad.

"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

Dustin

Nov 30, 2010, 7:26:29 PM11/30/10

> Dustin wrote:
>> ~BD~<~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in

>>> That is not true.
>>>
>>> As I'm sure Dustin Cook will confirm, Malwarebytes was simply
>>> concerned about me posting a saucy Easter Card for Dustin. No
>>> other reason AFAIK.
>>
>> I'm unable to confirm the story as you've spun it. Sorry.
>
> Well I must admit to being just a little surprised by your comment
> Dustin. I'm sure others on SE might be a little confused too, you
> having made such a song and dance about it at the time.

I don't understand why that would surprise you. Malwarebytes was kind
enough to delete the post for you the first time; although you'd been
annoying previously. When you did it again, for "fun."; You were
removed, although you've freely admitted to abusing network resources
and criminal computer tresspass (feel free to look it up, I wouldn't
bullshit you). to create another account. :)

If you weren't already banned, you would be. I'm sure the criminal
computer trespass goes a long ways towards proving what kind of scumbag
you really are. :)

>>> Do I care? Should I care?
>>
>> If your claim of wanting knowledgeable persons reading your drivel
>> and providing their opinions; then you should Care. Unless...Well,
>> you're trolling? :)
>
> I do try and make it a mixed bag! ;-)

A mixed bag? Indeed. You're trolling. Cute spin.

>>> My concern has always been that I was banned simply for asking
>>> searching questions - now why was that? Something to hide?
>>
>> What searching questions? You accused people of causing your hard
>> disk to fail.
>
> Maybe you should read my posts here, at what was Tom Coyote

No.

> My question was "Do you know much about Rootkits?, Can I check a CD
> to see if it contains a rootkit?" (Note the date)

Yes, I know alot about rootkits. I know of a particular sony cd I'd
like you to put in your mac and your PC. Your mac won't give the disk
back and will require a teardown; and no, thanks to the mac design,
while the disc is present you can't use your mac. hehehe. Your PC will
have a nice rootkit which interferes with your optical drives abilities
to read audio. Sony got sued for this little stunt of course, and it
didn't cost them much; they apologized and issued several "fixes." the
first one didn't remove the rootkit at all; in fact, a real live virus
was written to exploit the rootkit and allow it to hide from the user.
Good ol Sony!

> I must be a real disappointment to you, being so dumb an' all. :(

No. I keep my expectations low, so I'm never disappointed.

> My take on this was it was to stop me asking questions about
> Cybercrime 'in public' as it were. They failed!

Was that your intention with trying to provide my address, BD? To get
me to shutup? That didn't work for Zvi Netiv or Martin Overton; I
smoked them both for the trouble.

Martin's program went to nothingness in a short time after the POC was
written. Zvi got a glowing review in PC magazine and I'm sure it cost
him shitloads. They both have me to thank for their snakeoil demise;
and I was only too happy to see them both go. Sure, invircible can
still be had, but it's marketshare is so low now, it's not even funny.
:) Martin OTH, went out of business outright. No more chekmate. It
wasn't worth the money in the first place, and neither is invircible.

You'll work your way into my cross hairs soon enough, BD.

~BD~

Nov 30, 2010, 7:46:45 PM11/30/10
Dustin wrote:
>> Maybe you should read my posts here, at what was Tom Coyote
> No.

Extract for you then! (2006 - remember that!)

**

I read about rootkits in connection with Sony. Is there any way for me
to check if the CD actually contains something "nasty"? (Nothing found
by virus scanning).

I'm suspicious for a couple of reasons other than just my having PC
being high-jacked. On close examination of the packaging sent by
(supposedly!) Microsoft, the Part Number printed on the packaging is
X10-72919 but on the disc label it is Part Number X10-80291. The disc
certainly looks genuine. However, in the centre (silver) part of the
disc is printed X10-58085! Not only that, but the address label is a UK
pre-paid 2nd-class business item. However, the address, at the end
(after my Postcode) says not Great Britain, but the German equivalent -
GROBBITANNIEN. Rather strange!

I have had contact with Systernals SysInternals . I helped their Bryce
Cogswel ("the man") investigate a false positive returned when I scanned
my machine a couple of weeks ago (and posted the result in their forum;
they asked me to help!). Of course this scanning tool inspects only the
Registry and cannot include the CD (at least I don't believe so). I
have, though, emailed Bryce to ask what I might do to check this CD.

Do you have any suggestions?

My thoughts turn to sending the CD to the detective on our high-tech
crime unit who discussed matters with me following the theft of my
identity (PayPal/eBay) last spring. (I'm pleased to say that I did get
my money back - eventually!).

**

There is, of course, more - in the thread! :)

Dustin

Nov 30, 2010, 8:08:13 PM11/30/10

> Dustin wrote:
>>> Maybe you should read my posts here, at what was Tom Coyote
>> No.
>>

> Extract for you then! (2006 - remember that!)

I'm not interested. I am interested in what you have to say about
admitting to criminal computer trespass tho. :)

So for the record, what is your take on that?

> I read about rootkits in connection with Sony. Is there any way for
> me to check if the CD actually contains something "nasty"? (Nothing
> found by virus scanning).

I won't tell you. :)

> Do you have any suggestions?

Yes. I sure do. Ready? FOAD.

> There is, of course, more - in the thread! :)

Again, I'm only interested in the criminal computer trespass activities
of yours. Anything you want to say about it?

~BD~

Dec 2, 2010, 7:57:00 AM12/2/10
Harden Thicke wrote:
> You are stark raving mad.

*NO* - I'm not! :)

There is *no* sound heard at that URL using my iMac or, on a laptop
using XP Home and Firefox or Google Chrome.

However, on the same laptop, if I use IE8 or Opera I *can* hear music.

How strange is that?

Do you have an explanation, 'Hard and *very* Thick'?

D.

Donald Anadell

Dec 2, 2010, 9:19:21 AM12/2/10

"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com> wrote in message

I suspect the reason that you don't hear the sound(Telstar.rmi) when viewing
the site is that the HTML markup on that site is using the "BGSOUND" tag to
insert the .rmi file. The BGSOUND tag is a proprietary Microsoft Explorer
tag, both IE and Opera recognized the BGSOUND tag and therefore play the
sound.

If you want to hear the sound using a Browser other than IE, contact the
site owner and tell them to use the EMBED tag.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> D.

~BD~

Dec 2, 2010, 12:25:31 PM12/2/10

Hey! 8-) Thank you, Donald! Thanks a lot! :)

There's always a reason - for everything!

Dave