Windows/Microsoft Update Issues

John W.

May 10, 2007, 10:41:03 AM5/10/07
We are a school with about 950 desktops, most of which are connected to WSUS.
Unfortunately the majority of our pcs are Pentium 3 900s. On windows update
day the world pretty much falls apart. It seems like computers will sit at
100% utilization for hours, or some of them take days to download the update
from wsus, and most people are unable to use their computers on these days.

We've tried telling people to start their machines early etc, but it really
isn't enough for the beast that is windows update.

Is this really how microsoft intends it to work? Why does it take 100%
utilization for 15 min to an hour to just DETECT the update, let alone
download and install them.

Jim

May 10, 2007, 11:52:58 AM5/10/07

"John W." <Jo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
How fast is your connection to the internet?
Why is everybody trying to connect at once?
Why don't you download all of the updates to a common computer in your
school so that all of this network activity is restricted to your own place?

Windows update is written for the user of a single computer.
Orgainizations who have as many as yours need to organize the updates in a
less network intensive manner.

Jim

Rock

May 10, 2007, 11:53:58 AM5/10/07

John W.

May 10, 2007, 4:10:01 PM5/10/07
Our connection is 20MB, and actually we are using WSUS server on our LAN

Xenomorph

May 10, 2007, 10:11:21 PM5/10/07
are the computers configured to use Windows Updates or Microsoft Updates?

Windows Updates scans can be done in seconds.
Microsoft Update scans can take hours and use 100% CPU.

try switching to just Windows Updates and see if that helps.

Juan I. Cahis

May 11, 2007, 9:23:37 AM5/11/07
That is very interesting.

How you define "Windows Update" and "Microsoft Update"?

I am using XP SP2 Pro, and I detected that when I search the updates
using Internet Explorer, and "Automatic Updates" is also working, my
CPU usage goes to 100% for hours, and I cannot use my computer. This
doesn't happens, however, under Win2k.

So, I disabled the "Automatic Update" download on WinXP SP2.

"Xenomorph" <sp...@spam.com> wrote:

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Rock

May 11, 2007, 5:09:42 PM5/11/07
"Juan I. Cahis" wrote
That is very interesting.

"Xenomorph" <sp...@spam.com> wrote:

Those are two different ways to access updates. Windows update gives
updates only for the OS. Microsoft Updates is for the OS and any MS
software that's installed such as Office.

See this link for info and fixes on the svchost.exe problem with automatic
updates.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

BillW50

May 11, 2007, 5:47:20 PM5/11/07
"Rock" <Ro...@nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Juan I. Cahis" wrote
> That is very interesting.
>
> How you define "Windows Update" and "Microsoft Update"?
>
> I am using XP SP2 Pro, and I detected that when I search the updates
> using Internet Explorer, and "Automatic Updates" is also working, my
> CPU usage goes to 100% for hours, and I cannot use my computer. This
> doesn't happens, however, under Win2k.
>
> So, I disabled the "Automatic Update" download on WinXP SP2.

No problems under 2 Windows XP SP2 machines here. I didn't check my
Windows 2000 machine yet.

--
Bill

mae

May 11, 2007, 6:25:51 PM5/11/07
I have used Microsoft Update for the last year without that problem.
--
mae

"Xenomorph" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in message

BillW50

May 11, 2007, 6:30:28 PM5/11/07
What problems have you had Mae?

--
Bill

"mae" <agra...@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message

> I have used Microsoft Update for the last year without that problem.

mae

May 11, 2007, 6:45:51 PM5/11/07
None to date. I said without problem. :)
--
mae
"BillW50" <Bil...@aol.kom> wrote in message

BillW50

May 11, 2007, 7:03:59 PM5/11/07
Oh great Mae! :)

--

> None to date. I said without problem. :)

>> What problems have you had Mae?

Juan I. Cahis

May 12, 2007, 8:05:19 PM5/12/07
Dear friends, very interesting, but which of both is selected when I
click the "Tools Menu" in the "Windows Explorer" and select "Windows
Update"? If I remember well, when I did it, recommended updates for
Windows and Office appeared there from time to time, am I wrong?

"Rock" <Ro...@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Juan I. Cahis" wrote
>That is very interesting.
>
>How you define "Windows Update" and "Microsoft Update"?
>
>I am using XP SP2 Pro, and I detected that when I search the updates
>using Internet Explorer, and "Automatic Updates" is also working, my
>CPU usage goes to 100% for hours, and I cannot use my computer. This
>doesn't happens, however, under Win2k.
>
>So, I disabled the "Automatic Update" download on WinXP SP2.
>

>Those are two different ways to access updates. Windows update gives
>updates only for the OS. Microsoft Updates is for the OS and any MS
>software that's installed such as Office.
>
>See this link for info and fixes on the svchost.exe problem with automatic
>updates.
>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)

Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Rock

May 12, 2007, 8:53:39 PM5/12/07
"Juan I. Cahis" wrote

"Rock" <Ro...@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Juan I. Cahis" wrote
>That is very interesting.
>
>How you define "Windows Update" and "Microsoft Update"?
>
>I am using XP SP2 Pro, and I detected that when I search the updates
>using Internet Explorer, and "Automatic Updates" is also working, my
>CPU usage goes to 100% for hours, and I cannot use my computer. This
>doesn't happens, however, under Win2k.
>
>So, I disabled the "Automatic Update" download on WinXP SP2.

>Those are two different ways to access updates. Windows update gives
>updates only for the OS. Microsoft Updates is for the OS and any MS
>software that's installed such as Office.
>
>See this link for info and fixes on the svchost.exe problem with automatic
>updates.
>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071

It depends on what you have it set to. You can change between Windows
Update and Microsoft Update while on the update site using the options in
the left pane. I'm not on XP right now so I can't check the exact method.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Terry

May 12, 2007, 9:19:59 PM5/12/07
On 5/12/2007 5:53 PM On a whim, Rock pounded out on the keyboard

Juan,

To save Rock from rebooting into XP, I went to the Windows Update site
by clicking Windows Updates in IE (not Explorer). I didn't see any
options on the left pane regarding switching from WU and MU. The FAQ
page has this info that may be helpful to you:

Do I need to install optional updates?
No. Optional updates address minor issues or add non-critical
functionality to your computer. It is more important to install high
priority updates so that your computer gets the latest critical and
security-related software.

Can I get updates automatically?
Yes, if you turn on Automatic Updates. Windows will check for the latest
high priority updates for your computer and install them according to
your Automatic Updates setting.

Is Automatic Updates the same as Windows Update?
Yes, but Automatic Updates delivers only high priority updates. To get
optional updates, you still need to visit the Windows Update Web site.

What is Automatic Updates?
It’s a feature that works with Windows Update to deliver critical and
security-related updates as they become available. When you turn on
Automatic Updates (recommended), Windows automatically looks for high
priority updates for your computer. You decide how and when the updates
are installed.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Rock

May 12, 2007, 9:43:22 PM5/12/07
"Juan I. Cahis" wrote

"Rock" <Ro...@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Juan I. Cahis" wrote
>That is very interesting.
>
>How you define "Windows Update" and "Microsoft Update"?
>
>I am using XP SP2 Pro, and I detected that when I search the updates
>using Internet Explorer, and "Automatic Updates" is also working, my
>CPU usage goes to 100% for hours, and I cannot use my computer. This
>doesn't happens, however, under Win2k.
>
>So, I disabled the "Automatic Update" download on WinXP SP2.
>

>Those are two different ways to access updates. Windows update gives
>updates only for the OS. Microsoft Updates is for the OS and any MS
>software that's installed such as Office.
>
>See this link for info and fixes on the svchost.exe problem with automatic
>updates.
>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071

Here's how to go back to Windows Update from Microsoft Update (from a post
by PA Bear)

Go to Microsoft Update > Click on Change Settings in left pane > Scroll to
bottom of page > To Stop Using Microsoft Update > Disable Microsoft Update
software and let me use Windows Update only (check).

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

XPGoD

May 13, 2007, 1:15:00 AM5/13/07
Try this out and let me know what you guys think.... I've just milled over
various systems at 4 client sites, they range in OS, and system types, and
found something that works. I will not go into how I found this, as it's
quite lengthy... but try this out, so far it works like a charm. I've
updated my ticket with Microsoft after learning this, but if anyone cares,
email me and I'll do my best to explain in detail my findings.

PS... 17 machines that had the issue, no longer have the issue.

From command line or create a cmd/bat file and do the following in this
order...

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 /u wuaueng.dll /s
del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
del /f /s /q %windir%\windowsupdate.log
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\atl.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\jscript.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\softpub.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuapi.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuaueng.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuaueng1.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wucltui.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wups.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %windir%\system32\wuweb.dll
net start bits
net start wuauserv
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

Then hit up Windows Update and run a custom scan... (watch svchost.exe right
after clicking the CUSTOM button). Make sure you use the regular Microsoft
Update, and not the Windows Update method.

Regarding your link to bleeping computer... I followed those very steps with
Microsoft on the phone... it didn't help. I just spent 7 hours debugging,
and watching and reading to get the fix above that helped me. I'm still
working on taking some of those commands OFF the list, and narrowing down
which one is doing it (the magic cmd).

Enjoy,
XPGoD

iw

May 14, 2007, 12:01:49 PM5/14/07
> > "Rock" <R...@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > >"Juan I. Cahis" wrote
> > >That is very interesting.
>
> > >How you define "Windows Update" and "Microsoft Update"?
>
> > >I am using XP SP2 Pro, and I detected that when I search the updates
> > >using Internet Explorer, and "Automatic Updates" is also working, my
> > >CPU usage goes to 100% for hours, and I cannot use my computer. This
> > >doesn't happens, however, under Win2k.
>
> > >So, I disabled the "Automatic Update" download on WinXP SP2.
>
> > >Those are two different ways to access updates. Windows update gives
> > >updates only for the OS. Microsoft Updates is for the OS and any MS
> > >software that's installed such as Office.
>
> > >See this link for info and fixes on the svchost.exe problem with automatic
> > >updates.
> > >http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071
> > Thanks
> > Juan I. Cahis
> > Santiago de Chile (South America)
> > Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!- Hide quoted text -

This has sorted the problem for me. I had spent many hours trying to
come up with something without success! I have made up a auto fix and
installed on around 20 PC's now and ALL are working correctly now!

Thank you for sharing this!