DSL not connection at startup, XP

Richard Fangnail

Dec 24, 2006, 12:49:18 PM12/24/06
My friend's computer used to be always connected via DSL at startup.
But now, it doesn't connect at startup - when you start firefox, you
get the Windows dialog box so that you can connect. It is the box with
the Microsoft art of the globe. Why would this happen?
thanks

David H. Lipman

Dec 24, 2006, 1:17:22 PM12/24/06
From: "Richard Fangnail" <richard...@excite.com>

If your friend was using a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41, there would be no
problem.

DSL uses a client such as WinPOET, PPPoE, the WinXP stock PPPoE connector or other Point to
Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) software to create the connection. Using a Cable/DSL
Router, the Router itself makes the PPPoE connection and no PPPoE software needs to be
installed on the PC. This way, resources are sabved on the PC, no ISP provided software is
needed, you can share the one WAN address with up to 253 LAN nodes and the Cable/DSL Router
will act as a simplistic FireWall.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Richard Fangnail

Dec 26, 2006, 5:46:32 PM12/26/06
I asked around, and apparently SBC DSL uses certain features of Dial-up
networking even though it's DSL. My own DSL apparently does not do
that so I'm just connected all the time.

Now about the Start menu > Connect To submenu: I used to have 3 dialup
numbers and those are listed here. But my DSL connection does not
appear in this submenu - is that because my DSL service doesn't have to
do with dial-up networking?

David H. Lipman

Dec 26, 2006, 6:07:59 PM12/26/06
From: "Richard Fangnail" <richard...@excite.com>

| I asked around, and apparently SBC DSL uses certain features of Dial-up
| networking even though it's DSL. My own DSL apparently does not do
| that so I'm just connected all the time.

| Now about the Start menu > Connect To submenu: I used to have 3 dialup
| numbers and those are listed here. But my DSL connection does not
| appear in this submenu - is that because my DSL service doesn't have to
| do with dial-up networking?

Dial-Up networking uses the Point to Point Protocol (PPP). DSL uses PPPoE The Dial-Up is a
Ethernet protocol tunnel that uses the DSL Account and Password.

I repeat, DSL uses a PPPoE client to make the connection. If you use a Cable/DSL Router
then the Router, not the PC, makes the PPPoE connection and a PPPoE client on the PC is not
needed.

You may already be using a Cable/DSL Router or you may be using a DSL Modem+Router combo and
that's why you are "...connected all the time".

Richard Fangnail

Dec 26, 2006, 6:36:07 PM12/26/06
I only have one computer in my apartment and there is no router. Just
one DSL modem.

David H. Lipman wrote:

> Dial-Up networking uses the Point to Point Protocol (PPP). DSL uses PPPoE The Dial-Up is a
> Ethernet protocol tunnel that uses the DSL Account and Password.
>
> I repeat, DSL uses a PPPoE client to make the connection. If you use a Cable/DSL Router
> then the Router, not the PC, makes the PPPoE connection and a PPPoE client on the PC is not
> needed.
>
> You may already be using a Cable/DSL Router or you may be using a DSL Modem+Router combo and

> Dave

David H. Lipman

Dec 26, 2006, 7:37:45 PM12/26/06
From: "Richard Fangnail" <richard...@excite.com>

| I only have one computer in my apartment and there is no router. Just
| one DSL modem.

Which could very well be a DSL Modem+Router combo provided by Sonic.Net.

Frank

Dec 27, 2006, 3:17:38 AM12/27/06

Here in Tampa Bay Florida, Verizon DSL does not use PPoE and I imagine
this
is true in some other parts of the world.

Richard Fangnail

Dec 27, 2006, 11:33:01 AM12/27/06
It is a Zoom "bridge modem." Does that just mean it will not require
pppoe?

David H. Lipman

Dec 27, 2006, 4:00:54 PM12/27/06
From: "Frank" <bbu...@bqik.net>

| Here in Tampa Bay Florida, Verizon DSL does not use PPoE and I imagine
| this
| is true in some other parts of the world.

That's true. I forgot that in former GTE areas they *may* still be DHCP.