Read Only Folders problem

Erin

Mar 24, 2003, 5:07:38 PM3/24/03
This ISSUE (yes it is an issue) is addressed Here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328170

Some apps won't let you save files after double clicking them in
Windows Explorer. This won't actually let you unmark the read only
attribute but it will resolve any issues you're having with apps that
can not save files.

Erin

"Martin Parker" <martin...@oxford.roxar.com> wrote in message news:<01b201c2dd8b$ac7d2330$3001...@phx.gbl>...
> Please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place.
> This is my first post on the MS newsgroups.
>
> Has anybody else seen a problem in XP where all folders
> are marked as read only in Windows Explorer?
>
> I have checked by using attrib in a command prompt that
> they are not read only - I can create files and folders
> in them.
>
> The problem is that some programs think the folders are
> all read only and won't work properly.
>
> Explorer doesn't seem to be able to remove the read-only
> attribute.
>
> I am running XP Pro without Domains or Active Directory.
> We have a small workgroup.
>
> I have tried setting the
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
> on\Explorer\UseSystemForSystemFolders registry key to 1,
> as recommended by http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?
> ArticleID=24940 - but that doesn't make any difference.
>
> This seems like some sort of weird XP bug. Any ideas
> anybody?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

Paul Savage

Apr 17, 2003, 11:33:47 AM4/17/03
I agree, this is definitely a *** BUG ***

I have a brand new DELL with preloaded WINDOWS XP - all its folders
are "read-only" including any I create using NEW -> Folder (C:\ as
Adminstrator)!

All its network attached drives have all folders as "read-only" even
if their host machine has them as "read-write" and they are shared to
all with "read-write" access.

Cannot change this "read-only" attribute of any folder using the
Windows XP dialog whether I use either "Change only this folder" or
"Change all sub-folders also" options.

As proof that Microsoft applications do use this attribute and expect
it to be properly set/unset - Outlook Express is unable to locate mail
storage folders (select button remains disabled) in such a folder.
Hence I was unable to change the mail storage location for Outlook
Express on this XP machine.

Interestingly, however, I can write to files in these folders - so if
I am to believe the Microsoft speakes line of argument - the folder
attribute "read-only" no longer means "READ-ONLY" ???? henceforth
"READ-ONLY" at the folder level means "READ-WRITE" allowed at the
enclosed file level ?? - makes sense doesn't it ?? er er NO !

READ_ONLY ON THE ENLCOSING FOLDER MEANS READ_ONLY FOR ITS CONTENTS !

READ_WRITEON THE ENCLOSING FOLDER MEANS FILE ATTRRIBUTE RULES OK !

WHEN CAN WE EXPECT THE FIX THEN ? USING DOS TO SET FOLDER ATTRIBUTES
IS BOTH LABORIOUS AND A TAD TOO TECHY FOR MY LIKING !

JUICE

PAUL SAVAGE

purplehaz03

Apr 17, 2003, 11:56:06 AM4/17/03
Some info on the subject:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549

"Paul Savage" <lett...@whitmanandco.com> wrote in message

David Candy

Apr 17, 2003, 12:39:13 PM4/17/03
The difference between a folder and a file is that the directory attribute is set on the file to make it a directory (likewise a volume label is a zero byte file with the volume attribute set).

A better way of looking at it is that it's a meaningless attribute, and always has been. Because it is meaningless MS used it when 95/NT4 was released to do other tasks.

That particular bit prior to NT4/95
Means Read Only on a file and means nothing on a folder.
After 95/NT4
Means read only on a file, and as directories CAN'T be read only, by design, the space used could be reused for other purposes - and was so used for parsing a desktop.ini.

If you can't understand that then change your thinking to
There is no such attribute called read only on a folder, only Parse the desktop.ini.

If you have propblems they are unrelated to this. Read only on a folder will break 3 or 4 programs written 10 or 20 years ago that mis understood the issue like you.

The only attribute that is tradionally applied to folders is Hidden (and of course directory) - all other are free to be reused and Read Only and System were - the difference between the two is you may get a message when trying to delete a system folder (which can be suppressed by a desktop.ini setting) saying "This is a System folder - sure you want to delete". Apart from that they have identical meanings - no meaning before 95 and parse the desktop.ini 95 and later.

You probably have file permission problems which is nothing to do with attributes.
--
http://www.g2mil.com/Apr2003.htm
http://www1.iraqwar.ru/?userlang=en

Paul Savage

Apr 18, 2003, 8:12:27 AM4/18/03
What a fool I've been to believe the Microsoft stated "work around"
for this problem works - it doesn't !

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549

attrib -r +s c:\test changes the "SYSTEM" attribute but not the
"READ-ONLY"

I still have a network-drive Outlook Express Store folder which cannot
be accessed because the "OK" button of the STORE location dialog is
not enabled !

This software is not old its OE version 6 (circa 2001) !

If this attribute is "meaningless" then why does Windows XP have a
dialog to change it!

Silly me, of course I've got it, the bug is that "the dialog should
not be there" !

Pull the other one its got bells on it !

Sounds to me like this folder attribute (bit) might already have been
earmarked for future other use and were being given a whole lotta hu !

The attribute is useful if you don't wanna set all the folders and
files as "READ-ONLY" - you can jus do the one change ! Better than
hundreds of thousands in the sub-folders below (time) - and maybe its
useful if some files are read-only and some are read-write cause then
you don't have to reset them all by hand ! (Use the "change all
subfolders/files" and you'll see what I mean)

SO IT ALREADY HAS A USE ! DON'T STEAL OUR READ-ONLY ATTRIBUTE !

WHERE's the fix then !

POWER CORRUPTS and ABSOLUTE ....

Paul Savage

Bob T

Apr 18, 2003, 11:24:43 AM4/18/03
On 18 Apr 2003 05:12:27 -0700, lett...@whitmanandco.com (Paul Savage)
wrote:

>What a fool I've been to believe the Microsoft stated "work around"
>for this problem works - it doesn't !
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549
>
>attrib -r +s c:\test changes the "SYSTEM" attribute but not the
>"READ-ONLY"
>

>I still have a network-drive Outlook Express Store folder which cannot
>be accessed because the "OK" button of the STORE location dialog is
>not enabled !

Come on, use your brain. I know you have one because you were able to
type this message. Think about it. If the folder 'Read Only'
attribute being set was stopping Outlook Express from writing it's
email log file to a specific directory, then there would be millions
of people with this problem since all folders have this attribute set.
Obviously something else is causing this problem that you are having.

>This software is not old its OE version 6 (circa 2001) !
>

>If this attribute is "meaningless" then why does Windows XP have a
>dialog to change it!

Because they only made a single dialog box to be called up when
looking at file/directory properties. Since the only real difference
is that directories don't have a defined function for the attribute
that corresponds to the 'Read Only' attribute for files, they opted to
use the same piece of code in both cases rather than write a second
routine just to handle directories and leave out the box to set the
Read Only attribute. Makes sense to me from a programming point of
view.

> clipped to save time <

>SO IT ALREADY HAS A USE ! DON'T STEAL OUR READ-ONLY ATTRIBUTE !

I don't understand, are you saying that the Windows OSes belong to the
people and not to Microsoft? They did not define a function for the
attribute that occupies the space of the 'Read Only' attribute for
files when used with folders/directories. It is not like it was
defined as a 'Read Only' attribute with inheritance properties and
then undefined. They did not take anything away, it didn't exist to
begin with.

Bob T.

David Candy

Apr 19, 2003, 12:50:12 AM4/19/03
You can drag folders on to these two files. Or put them into the sendto folder. It will
a/ tell you if it's set or not
b/ offer to change it.

See the context menu page on my web site to add to a right click menu

--
http://www.g2mil.com/Apr2003.htm
http://prorev.com/forbesrussia.htm

David Candy
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros

David Candy

Apr 19, 2003, 1:06:40 AM4/19/03
Also this file adds the attributes to the infotip and the tile display. Note if nothing shows there are no attributes set.

--
http://www.g2mil.com/Apr2003.htm
http://prorev.com/forbesrussia.htm
David Candy
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros

"David Candy" <da...@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uUjQv#iBDHA...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

AddAttributesToTilesAndInfotipForFolders.reg