Remove SP3

edimerq

Jan 15, 2009, 9:02:01 PM1/15/09
-------------------------
Didn't see SP3 in the list. Hope I'm in the right area
I'll apreciate very much if somebody can help me with this issue.

QUESTION: How can I remove SP3 that has been downloaded to my computer, but
I have not yet installed? It is not in Add/Remove or in Update History in
the WU website. So, where is it? There are various files with SP3 in them in
Start/Search. Is it OK to remove them?

To not go back and forth with this, here is the story.
A few months ago, WU downloaded XP/SP3 in my computer. Windows said it was a
critical update, so I proceeded to download. The only instruction given was
to restart after finishing installing. After that, I began to have problems.
I couldn’t even access the internet. I removed the update from Add/Remove
programs, and anything that contained SP3 in Start/Search. My computer
returned to normal.

I then changed WU to “Notify me, don’t download...”. But, lately, I have not
been getting any notifications, so I wet to the Website where I found various
updates waiting. I also found out that SP3 had been downloaded and was
waiting to be installed. It must have been downloaded before I changed the
settings, but I didn’t know.

I’ve checked all the sites given in this Group about how to do the
installing. So I know I probably didn’t do it properly before. It would be
helpful if Windows gave better instructions, when they expect customers to
install files that have been automatically downloaded. But, I don’t want SP3.
I am happy with SP2, and don’t see what I would gain by going through all the
trouble to install SP3 again. Just want to remove it and all its files from
my pc.
THANKS

emm
---------------------------------------

edimerq

Jan 15, 2009, 9:07:01 PM1/15/09

emm

"edimerq" wrote:

That is. unless somebody can tell me what it has for me that is better than
SP2. Only my husband and I use this computer for home use.
> THANKS

> emm
> ---------------------------------------

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 15, 2009, 9:24:47 PM1/15/09
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

========================

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Unknown

Jan 15, 2009, 9:30:50 PM1/15/09
Where does that 66.9MB SP3 file get downloaded to and what is it named?

When installing SP3, the Windows Update process identifies the size of this
file as being approximately 66.9MB.

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\66b1d8e81....d638\Download\ is
where SP3 file is downloaded to.

This is the file mentioned in the hard disk space requirements KB article.

The progress window indicates this file will be 66.9MB in size

but on the bare bones test PC the actual file size turned out

to be 61MB, and is named: BIT1D.tmp

For more details see:
The installation of SP3 using Windows Update, Step by Step:
http://www.pagestart.com/windowsxpsp3p3pg5.html

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"edimerq" <edi...@discussions.ms.com> wrote in message

edimerq

Jan 15, 2009, 10:00:01 PM1/15/09

emm

"edimerq" wrote:

Pa Bear. I see your response when I double click my posting, but I don't see
yours or anybody else's on the Discussions window. About emtien the Download
folder, will that delete all my updates, or just the SP3 ones.

edimerq

Jan 15, 2009, 10:13:00 PM1/15/09
JS. I don't know why, but can't see these posts on the Discussion board. Any
idea why? I had to double click my post to get your and other responses.
I went to the where you said the file should be, but I don't see any with
the name it says in your post. Is it possible that it says that it was
downloaded, but it is not?
--
emm

edimerq

Jan 15, 2009, 10:17:01 PM1/15/09
I can see the posts OK now.
emm

Unknown

Jan 15, 2009, 10:30:09 PM1/15/09
I use a Newsreader - Outlook Express to read and respond to posts.

I do not use Internet Explorer or Firefox.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"edimerq" <edi...@discussions.ms.com> wrote in message

edimerq

Jan 15, 2009, 10:53:01 PM1/15/09
JS I don't know if you saw my posting above where I answered you. I went to
where you said the file should be, but I don't see any with
the name it says in your post. Is it possible that it says that it Windows
says it has been downloaded, but it is not?
emm

Unknown

Jan 16, 2009, 12:02:05 AM1/16/09
Do you see any files with odd and long names
at that location?

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"edimerq" <edi...@discussions.ms.com> wrote in message

edimerq

Jan 16, 2009, 11:07:01 AM1/16/09
-------------------------------------
JS: There are a number of folders and files all with long names made of
numbers and letters.

Pa Bear: Could you tell me if the folder you say to delete contains only
SP3 files, or does it contain all updates, and is it safe to delete?
--
emm

"JS" wrote:

> Do you see any files with odd and long names
> at that location?
>
> --
> JS
> http://www.pagestart.com
>

> "edimerq" <edi...@discussions.ms.com> wrote in message
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > JS I don't know if you saw my posting above where I answered you. I went
> > where you said the file should be, but I don't see any with
> > the name it says in your post. Is it possible that it says that it
> > Windows
> > says it has been downloaded, but it is not?
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 16, 2009, 12:37:51 PM1/16/09
Deleting the folder is completely safe. The folder contains the installer
for WinXP SP3 that you want to remove as well as the installers for a few
other recently installed updates. Deleting the folder will NOT uninstall
the other updates.

edimerq wrote:
<snip>

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 16, 2009, 12:35:19 PM1/16/09
Why are you replying to my post?

Your thread can be found here
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/e227ed94ee45040d/5a6e75e6cdde3597
and here
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?&query=remove+sp3&lang=en&cr=us&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0f9c779e-2a68-4ba5-804c-0f46481eb5d7&mid=0f9c779e-2a68-4ba5-804c-0f46481eb5d7

edimerq wrote:
> JS. I don't know why, but can't see these posts on the Discussion board.
> Any
> idea why? I had to double click my post to get your and other responses.
> I went to the where you said the file should be, but I don't see any with
> the name it says in your post. Is it possible that it says that it was
> downloaded, but it is not?

edimerq

Jan 16, 2009, 2:03:01 PM1/16/09
Will that remove all SP3 files I may have in my computer? What about the
files that show in Start/Search
--
emm

Daave

Jan 16, 2009, 3:27:21 PM1/16/09
How many "SP3 files" do you have? What are their names? Where are their
locations?

"edimerq" <edi...@discussions.ms.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 16, 2009, 4:11:35 PM1/16/09
If you've not installed SP3, there are no "SP3 files" to remove, only the
installer for SP3 which resides in the Downloads folder.

There is NOTHING in that folder that your computer needs or depends on. If
you want to stop AU from prompting you to install SP3, you will have to
follow the instructions in my first reply.

edimerq wrote:
> Will that remove all SP3 files I may have in my computer? What about the
> files that show in Start/Search

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 16, 2009, 6:56:47 PM1/16/09
And even if you had installed SP3, deleting that folder would have no effect
whatsoever on your system.

edimerq

Jan 16, 2009, 7:52:00 PM1/16/09
These are the files I found in Start/Search Davve.

Xpsp3res.dll C/Windows/system32 (344KB) (sp3 messages)

Sp3_uber C/W/softwaredistribution/download/59fc8f…0bcca (6,113KB)
(security catalogue)

Wxp-sp3=x86rre-USA C/W/softwaredistribution/download/59fc8f…0bcca (426KB)
(psm file)

Xpsp3res.dll C/W/softwaredistribution/download/59fc8f… (0bcc8) (673KB) (sp3
messages)

Sp3GDR C/W/softwaredistribution/download/ab02de…bc14 (326 KB) (srv sys files)

Sp3QFE C/Wsoftwaredistribution/download/ab02de…bc14 (326KB) (srv sys files)

Sp3_uber C/W/system32/catroot/F750E6C3…6295EE (6113KB) (security catalogue)

Xpsp3res.dll C/W/softwaredistribution/download/0facc…sp2QFE (210KB) (sp3
messages)

Sp3 C/W/softwaredistribution/download/59fc8f…bcca/update (1267KB) (sec
catalogue)

Update_ sp3GDR C/W/softwaredistribution/download/ab02de…bc14/update (24KB)
(set up info)

Update_sp3QFE C/W/softwaredistribution/download/ab02de…bc14/update (24KB)
(set up info)

--
emm

edimerq

Jan 16, 2009, 8:03:01 PM1/16/09
OK, does that mean that when they say the update has been already downloaded,
only the installer was downloaded, not any actual files? As I was telling
Davve, I have a bunch of SP3 files in Start/Search. What are those then?
(previous 2 posts)
--
emm

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 17, 2009, 1:47:17 PM1/17/09
Yes.

edimerq wrote:
> OK, does that mean that when they say the update has been already

> downloaded, only the installer was downloaded, not any actual files?...

edimerq

Jan 17, 2009, 5:30:01 PM1/17/09
Thanks Pa Bear for your help, I appreciate it. Sorry, for asking so many
questions.
--
emm