Getting grip on automatic updates

Macamba

Dec 21, 2008, 10:04:01 AM12/21/08

The last urgent update for Internet Explorer 7 junked my system. At the
moment I'm trying to get it working again. As a result I want more influence
on what is installed during the update process. I instructed the computer to
notify me of new updates, so I could decline those I thought unnecessary. But
each time I want to turn my computer off it says it wants to install updates.
And that is not an option.

Does anyone know that when the computer states it has to install updates you
can call up a list of updates so you can choose what gets updated, and what
not?

Macamba

R. McCarty

Dec 21, 2008, 10:18:38 AM12/21/08
The installation prompt at Shutdown is due to updates already
queued up and waiting for installation. Until those are processed
the changes made to Automatic Updates won't be apparent.

Personally, I use the notify but do not download or automatically
install setting on my primary desktop.

You should be able to use either the IE-7 update uninstall or take
the system back with System Restore. This assumes the system
is still bootable.

Preferably a Imaging program like Acronis True Image should be
used before any Update or driver change is made to the system.
System Restore is a short-term roll back method and doesn't have
any integrity checks so you can never be sure of it's reliability.

"Macamba" <Mac...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 21, 2008, 4:15:26 PM12/21/08
> The last urgent update for Internet Explorer 7 junked my system.

Are you referring to KB960714? How did it "junk" your system?

> But each time I want to turn my computer off it says it wants to install
> updates.

Then you'll have to remove the download updates in the queue:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

=> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

=> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:

=> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB960714).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)