System restore not working

1 view

David Black

Mar 28, 2010, 2:52:01 PM3/28/10
I am trying to restore my system to another date and no matter what date I
pick I get the error message that the system cannot be restored to that date.
I do not know what the problem is or how to correct it, so any help will be
appreciated.

Pegasus [MVP]

Mar 28, 2010, 3:16:10 PM3/28/10

"David Black" <David...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The problem is that System Restore failed for some unknown reason. If you're
brave then you can perform a manual System Restore - see here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545. If you have a Bart PE boot CD (or
similar) then you can simplify the process considerably. Post again if
interested.

Stefan Patric

Mar 28, 2010, 3:23:12 PM3/28/10

If you are running anti-virus/malware software, particularly Norton, turn
it all off, and try, again. This is a known restore problem. Step-by-
step instructions can be found on the net. Just do a search.

Stef

Lem

Mar 28, 2010, 3:35:30 PM3/28/10

See: http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html (use the drop-down menu).

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

David Black

Mar 28, 2010, 4:11:01 PM3/28/10
I am not using Norton

"Stefan Patric" wrote:

> .

David Black

Mar 28, 2010, 4:31:01 PM3/28/10

That dropdown menu takes me to the same place. As I stated beofre no matter
what previous date I select system restore will not go back to that date.

"Lem" wrote:

> .

SC Tom

Mar 28, 2010, 6:22:06 PM3/28/10
If all else fails, try:
How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the
Command prompt in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
--
SC Tom

"David Black" <David...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Stefan Patric

Mar 29, 2010, 1:58:23 AM3/29/10
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:11:01 -0700, David Black wrote:

> I am not using Norton

Okay. I said "particularly Norton." Running any other anti-virus
software? Turn it off. Then try to restore, again.

Did it work? If it didn't what EXACTLY, that is, exact wording, error
numbers, etc., is reported?

Stef

Lem

Mar 29, 2010, 7:48:50 PM3/29/10

The drop-down menu on Bert Kinney's site takes you to the same place?
What are you talking about?

Jose

Mar 29, 2010, 8:37:55 PM3/29/10
On Mar 28, 3:16 pm, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> "David Black" <DavidBl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Is KB307545 equivalent to a System Restore?

I don't see how that will help since the last step says to perform a
system restore and that is the broken part.

Please post more details on how to simplify the process considerably.