what happened my post?

1 view

LOLL

Oct 21, 2009, 9:52:01 AM10/21/09
My post has disappeared, Why would this happen?
Who can remove a post apart from me and Microsoft?

Shenan Stanley

Oct 21, 2009, 9:57:50 AM10/21/09
LOLL wrote:
> My post has disappeared, Why would this happen?
> Who can remove a post apart from me and Microsoft?

What makes you think whatever post you are referring to has
disappeared/removed?
(Yes - you might want to be more specific about which post you are referring
to - check your sent items and let us know a subject line.)

What newsgroups/forums specifically (news server, forums name, etc) are you
posting to?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Tom Willett

Oct 21, 2009, 10:00:53 AM10/21/09
Which post is that?
"LOLL" <LO...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: My post has disappeared, Why would this happen?

Shenan Stanley

Oct 21, 2009, 10:09:03 AM10/21/09
LOLL wrote:
> My post has disappeared, Why would this happen?
> Who can remove a post apart from me and Microsoft?

Shenan Stanley wrote

> What makes you think whatever post you are referring to has
> disappeared/removed?
> (Yes - you might want to be more specific about which post you are
> referring to - check your sent items and let us know a subject line.)
>
> What newsgroups/forums specifically (news server, forums name, etc) are
> you posting to?

Which of these?
(Some may not be yours, some may be fairly old.)

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/ab430f23e057edb2/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/db377c31210723df/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/10240131a2834c1d/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_frm/thread/8024d90dd6651a2d/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/browse_frm/thread/1da0c89cf4858790/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/c3ee4761bb0115ab/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/7a6cd5dfd5d1f21d/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/66cf921026bbba84/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/e2426a22becb9638/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_frm/thread/8024d90dd6651a2d/

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/b4588097dad46a6c/

HeyBub

Oct 21, 2009, 11:36:24 AM10/21/09
LOLL wrote:
> My post has disappeared, Why would this happen?
> Who can remove a post apart from me and Microsoft?

[Pssst! You can't remove a post]

Bob I

Oct 21, 2009, 11:49:08 AM10/21/09
What makes you believe you can remove it?

LOLL

Oct 21, 2009, 12:18:01 PM10/21/09
It was titled System Recovery and was posted on 10/17 09 in xp general. It
had 20 threads last time I saw it yesterday. I searched a number of times
but cant find it.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> .

Tim Slattery

Oct 21, 2009, 12:19:18 PM10/21/09

Bob I <bir...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What makes you believe you can remove it?

All newsreaders have a "Delete Post" function. (The wording may vary a
bit). It sends a command to your server, which your server is then
supposed to propagate just like nay other Usenet message. But not all
servers honor those messages. The msnews.microsoft.com server does not
honor them.

--
Tim Slattery
Slatt...@bls.gov

Charles W Davis

Oct 21, 2009, 12:56:55 PM10/21/09
It's a conspiracy!

Ken Blake, MVP

Oct 21, 2009, 1:27:02 PM10/21/09
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:49:08 -0500, Bob I <bir...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What makes you believe you can remove it?

Most people believe they can because their newsreader has that
function built into it. But what they don't realize is that although
this particular newsgroup is on a server hosted by Microsoft, it is
also echoed to hundreds or thousands of other news servers all over
the world, and that propagation happens very quickly. Even if you
could delete your message from the Microsoft Server, it would have no
effect on the many other servers it had already reached.

For the same reason, not even Microsoft can really remove it.

> LOLL wrote:
>
> > My post has disappeared, Why would this happen?
> > Who can remove a post apart from me and Microsoft?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Shenan Stanley

Oct 21, 2009, 2:02:24 PM10/21/09
<snipped>

LOLL wrote:
> It was titled System Recovery and was posted on 10/17 09 in xp general. It
> had 20 threads last time I saw it yesterday. I searched a number of times
> but cant find it.

I posted the link to it in my second response.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/db377c31210723df/

Paul Randall

Oct 21, 2009, 4:56:11 PM10/21/09
Assuming that you are correct, how would I find the original post for this
reply thread:

http://groups.google.com/g/78d7fef5/t/45282791ff18b6bf/d/403c1171c515dd26

I just want to know as a learning exercise.

-Paul Randall

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

LOLL

Oct 21, 2009, 5:14:05 PM10/21/09
how did you find it? Why is it not listed on Microssoft windows xp general
forum, the site I posted it to. When I do a search fot it on the microsoft
site, I cant find it listed

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> .

Daave

Oct 21, 2009, 9:24:51 PM10/21/09
Don't you see it on this page?:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?pg=5&cat=en_us_0cc55ed7-e23e-4264-97e8-eb7d5a162b12&lang=en&cr=us&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&fltr=

You'll have to scroll down, but I see it:

The subject: "system recovery"
Date: 10/17/2009

But if I were you, I wouldn't even use Microsoft's interface to
newgroups. As you have experienced, it's quite poor. Why not use a
newsreader?

See:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Tech_Support

And scroll down to "C. Usenet."

And if you scroll down further, you will find links to set up Outlook
Express or Windows Mail (which you have) as a newsreader.

Also, you shouldn't post Vista questions to an XP group. :-)

(wondering if OP will even be able to see my post...)

Daave

Oct 21, 2009, 9:37:55 PM10/21/09
http://www.developersdex.com/asp/message.asp?p=1825&r=6778007

Some quick detective work turned up this link. I'm sure you can figure
it out on your own. ;-)

Paul Randall

Oct 22, 2009, 12:53:24 AM10/22/09
No, I can't quite figure it out, Daave.
The link does indeed show the post to which Pegasus was replying, with the
following info, in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

(subject) os and the concept of computer
From: eseco systems
Date Posted: 10/21/2009 10:30:00 AM

OE does not display this post; it does display Pegasus' reply about 45
minutes later, and all subsequent replies. One of those posts by Pegasus
says "... always posting with a date of 21 January 2009".

I infer this to mean:
1) On Oct 21, with his computer clock set to Jan 21, eseco systems made his
post to the newsgroup.
2) The msnews provider thinks the original post actually was on Jan 21, but
somehow http://www.developersdex.com/asp/message.asp?p=1825&r=6778007 knows
when it really was posted.
3) Msnews decides the original post is too old to be sent to OE as a current
thread, or maybe OE doesn't know what to do with it?
4) Pegasus' reply is displayed in OE as a new thread.
5) Groups.Google can't dig out the original post, or doesn't know what to do
with it?

So this is an example for the question "what happened my post?"
What happened to the original post to which Pegasus replied and which cannot
be seen by OE? I can't figure it out.

-Paul Randall

"Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote in message

Daave

Oct 22, 2009, 1:25:58 AM10/22/09
Not all posts propagate equally over Usenet. So, if the OP (spammer from
what I recall) posted to the vbscript newsgroup (possibly via the MS
news server -- without seeing the headers, I don't know what the path
was, so I don't know which server the OP used) and it was removed from
the MS server (and possibly other servers) shortly after Pegasus
replied, then most of what will be propagated to other news servers
(Usenet is a network) will be the whole thread minus the original post.

So if you downloaded headers (even if from the MS news server) after
Pegasus did, you won't see that original post. And since it didn't
propagate much, Google Groups didn't get the first post. Either that or
they did get it but automatically removed it because of information in
the post's headers. That is why that message is missing from the thread.
However, the link I gave you has the entire thread, featuring the
"censored" first post. So apparently, there was *some* propagation.

Your news reader would have displayed the post had you downloaded
headers at the same time or before Pegasus did. The "sent" date is
irrelevant (and I'm sure the post *was* made on 10/21) as far as what
you are seeing in OE. But perhaps Google Groups removed it specifically
because of the wrong date.

That's all that happened.

Regarding LOLL's question, his posts are still available for all to see.
Then again, they need to know how to use a newsreader or at the least
know how Web interfaces work.

Paul Randall

Oct 22, 2009, 11:41:13 AM10/22/09
Thanks for the explaination.