Windows Live Mail stopped working

chopperbobby

Nov 3, 2008, 6:31:00 PM11/3/08
My Windows Live Mail worked fine until yesterday. Then, when I access it, it
"freezes", and stays on the opening window. The only way to get out is to use
Task Manager. I can access my MSN e-mail via Hotmail or Outlook Express
though, so I'm assuming that the problem is with the WLM application. But I
have no idea what could be causing the problem.
I run Win XP Home. I just recently replaced my monitor and keyboard just
before I noticed the problem.
Please advise.
Bob Burns

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 3, 2008, 7:18:08 PM11/3/08
[X-post to Internet Mail newsgroup, which is supposedly monitored by the
WLHotmail team (YMMV)]

HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!6203.entry

Top 30 Windows Live Hotmail Help Topics for Mail and Settings:
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!5828.entry

Hotmail (Email) Support:
https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmail&ct=eformts
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

chopperbobby

Nov 7, 2008, 11:51:01 AM11/7/08
Thanks for the reply.
I discovered that it wasn't 'freezing', but was taking a very long time
to load. It would be OK after about 2 minutes.
It was either MSN or Qwest that was slowing down.
It is working fine now.
Bob

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 7, 2008, 1:02:32 PM11/7/08

chopperbobby

Nov 7, 2008, 1:31:01 PM11/7/08

Got it.
Thank you.

chopperbobby

Nov 7, 2008, 1:40:15 PM11/7/08
Why aren't we notified when something like this happens?
When I had Charter Internet their tech support phone number would tell me
if they were having problems. Not so with MSN. MSN's tech help is useless.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 7, 2008, 1:34:56 PM11/7/08
YW

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 7, 2008, 3:12:19 PM11/7/08
QED: If the servers are having issues, how are they going to notify you?
(If your land-line phone isn't working and the problem's on the telco's end,
how are they going to notify you?)

Gary VanderMolen

Nov 7, 2008, 5:49:21 PM11/7/08
What chopperbobby is referring to, and many providers have implemented,
if you call their toll-free support number, the recorded messages that you
hear (while waiting for a support tech to come on the line) will announce any
generally known issues like network outages and servers not responding, etc.,
and will also give an estimated repair time. That helps to lighten the
workload for the tech support crew. Also, known issues are often posted to
a web page, so even when your email is down you can consult that web page.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

...winston

Nov 7, 2008, 11:31:40 PM11/7/08
Did you call Qwest..the company responsible for support on your account ?

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

chopperbobby

Nov 8, 2008, 12:05:00 PM11/8/08

I suppose you are correct about that. I never considered it.
Thanks
BTW I'm not getting e-mail notifications regarding this thread. ??? I do
check the reply button.

chopperbobby

Nov 8, 2008, 12:18:00 PM11/8/08
As I said before Charter would do that, but not so with Qwest. I'm lucky to
get a human who speaks English well enough for me to understand.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

chopperbobby

Nov 8, 2008, 12:20:00 PM11/8/08
Thanks for the reply.
I have given up on Qwest's tech support. More often than not I know more
about what 's happening than their techs. ( If I can understand him/her).
Bob

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 8, 2008, 3:33:01 PM11/8/08
Assuming the LiveID you're using to sign-in to the Community Discussions
newsgroups via your brower is associated with your Hotmail account and
you're not receiving messages sent to that Hotmail account, how would you
get email notifications of replies to your posts/threads?

Then again, something may still be amiss on Hotmail's end.

You'll find support for Windows Live Mail (WLMail) in this public newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

Via the web-interface:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

Via your newsreader:

chopperbobby

Nov 8, 2008, 10:26:01 PM11/8/08

I am using my Live Mail e-mail address, but I don't receive replies to
these posts. I just check back to this thread often.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 9, 2008, 10:27:31 AM11/9/08
[Now crossposting to Windows Live Mail; Internet Mail, & WinXP General
newsgroups (OP's first post was in WinXP General)]

Are you aware that you can access all of these newsgroups in Outlook Express
and/or Windows Live Mail (assuming the application itself is working)?
Click on the following links to open the newsgroup in your default
newsreader:

WinXP General:

Windows Live Mail (WLMail):

Back to the topic at hand => What version of WLMail are you running (e.g.,
v14.0.5025.904; v14.0.5027.908)?
--
~PA Bear

chopperbobby wrote:
> I am using my Live Mail e-mail address, but I don't receive replies to
> these posts. I just check back to this thread often.

chopperbobby

Nov 9, 2008, 11:46:01 AM11/9/08
Yes, I am aware of that.
Today I did get an e-mail notification of a reply to this thread.
Thank you.
Bbo

chopperbobby

Nov 9, 2008, 11:48:01 AM11/9/08
Yes I did. Qwest's t ech support is next to useless.
Bob