windows cant open file

LOLL

Feb 1, 2009, 7:04:06 PM2/1/09
I sent an email with an attachment to my friend. She got the email but could
not open the attached word 2007 document. She gets a message saying - windows
cannot open the file because it needs to know the program that created it.
Any ideas?

Bruce Hagen

Feb 1, 2009, 7:19:45 PM2/1/09
Perhaps she doesn't have Word? What e-mail client so you use? What e-mail
client does your friend use? Can you publish the Word document to PDF?
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"LOLL" <LO...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Inzer

Feb 1, 2009, 7:26:23 PM2/1/09
==================================
Does your friend have Word 2007 installed?

Maybe the following viewer would be useful:

MS Word 2007 Viewer:
http://tinyurl.com/2c3xsk
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657CE88-7CFA-457A-9AEC-F4F827F20CAC&DisplayLang=en

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Ken Blake, MVP

Feb 1, 2009, 7:37:54 PM2/1/09

Yes. It's highly likely that she doesn't have Word 2007 installed, and
her computer therefore has no idea what to do with .docx files.

If that's the case, she can install a free Microsoft viewer for the
file, or if she has an older version of Word, she can install free
software that permits opening .docx files in her older version. But
it's very difficult to be more specific until you tell us what her
situation is.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

LOLL

Feb 1, 2009, 8:05:01 PM2/1/09
How do I publish the word doc to PDF?

Bruce Hagen

Feb 1, 2009, 8:17:27 PM2/1/09
You don't, the sender does. Or get the Word Viewer mentioned by others.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"LOLL" <LO...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DDW

Feb 1, 2009, 8:33:23 PM2/1/09
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:17:27 -0800, "Bruce Hagen"
<Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote:

>You don't, the sender does. Or get the Word Viewer mentioned by others.

I'm afraid you need to explain yourself. ANY Word doc can be
converted by its creator to a PDF document by "printing" it to a PDF
file using a PDF printer such as PrimoPDF, or BullZIP.

This is a common function performed daily by many a person.

DDW
No email please

Bruce Hagen

Feb 1, 2009, 8:34:44 PM2/1/09
I'm sorry. You are the sender. Does your version let you save a document as
a PDF> 2007 does, but I am not sure about earlier versions.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

DDW

Feb 1, 2009, 9:11:05 PM2/1/09
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:34:44 -0800, "Bruce Hagen"
<Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote:

>I'm sorry. You are the sender. Does your version let you save a document as
>a PDF> 2007 does, but I am not sure about earlier versions.

They ALL do: it's a printing function. Choose Print, and select a
PDF printer. I also believe that there is an MS add-on for all
versions earlier than 2007 which allows Save As.

DDW

Feb 1, 2009, 9:13:05 PM2/1/09
Message has been deleted

Bruce Chambers

Feb 1, 2009, 11:10:15 PM2/1/09

Advise your friend to install either Word, or another application that
can read Word files.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

DDW

Feb 1, 2009, 11:28:42 PM2/1/09
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 21:10:15 -0700, Bruce Chambers
<bcha...@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>LOLL wrote:
>> I sent an email with an attachment to my friend. She got the email but could
>> not open the attached word 2007 document. She gets a message saying - windows
>> cannot open the file because it needs to know the program that created it.
>> Any ideas?
>

> Advise your friend to install either Word, or another application that
>can read Word files.

Or save the work in an earlier - 2003 or earlier - format.

Jim

Feb 2, 2009, 10:16:39 AM2/2/09

Ken Blake, MVP

Feb 2, 2009, 12:57:53 PM2/2/09

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:33:23 -0600, DDW
<dd.w...@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

> ANY Word doc can be
> converted by its creator

Or by anyone who opens it in Word.

> to a PDF document by "printing" it to a PDF
> file using a PDF printer such as PrimoPDF, or BullZIP.

In Word 2007, no PDF printer is required. You can create a pdf file
using abilities built into Word 2007, in Save as.

DDW

Feb 2, 2009, 1:23:52 PM2/2/09
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:57:53 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:33:23 -0600, DDW
><dd.w...@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> ANY Word doc can be
>> converted by its creator
>

>Or by anyone who opens it in Word.
>

>> to a PDF document by "printing" it to a PDF
>> file using a PDF printer such as PrimoPDF, or BullZIP.
>

>In Word 2007, no PDF printer is required. You can create a pdf file
>using abilities built into Word 2007, in Save as.

Why not read all the posts before replying?

OH... and if you hadn't edited out what I replied to, my reply would
have made more sense to anyone viewing this.

Frank-FL

Feb 5, 2009, 2:50:33 PM2/5/09

"LOLL" <LO...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Word 2007 uses a .docx extension. I eliminated this problem
by going into Word options and set the default save to Word
2000-2003 *.doc.