Real DOS mode in xp

Terry

May 14, 2006, 10:01:02 AM5/14/06
I have a device driver for xp that the manufacturer says can only be
installed in real dos mode. I have an NTSF system. I do know that xp is not
based on dos . any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Pegasus (MVP)

May 14, 2006, 10:10:01 AM5/14/06

"Terry" <Te...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

As you say, there is no DOS under WinXP, real or otherwise,
only a DOS emulator called the Command Prompt. I suggest
you ask the manufacturer what he really means.

Rick Rogers

May 14, 2006, 10:19:23 AM5/14/06
Hi Terry,

There is no real mode DOS, only the emulator. If the manufacturer stipulates
that it can only be installed in that mode, then it probably is not
compatible with WinXP. What device is it and do you have a link to the
driver and/or manufacturer?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Terry

May 14, 2006, 10:33:01 AM5/14/06
It's an MSI cd-r/rw
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_firmware_detail.php?UID=410 this is supposed to be the driver for xp.

David H. Lipman

May 14, 2006, 10:49:38 AM5/14/06
From: "Terry" <Te...@discussions.microsoft.com>

| It's an MSI cd-r/rw
| http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_firmware_detail.php?UID=410 this is
supposed to be the driver for xp.
| "Rick Rogers" wrote:

In your original post you stated "I have a device driver .." which was FALSE.

You want to upgrade the BIOS (FirmWare) of the CDRRW drive. That is NOT a WinXP Device
Driver.
Additionally, whether you have NTFS on the hard disk or not is a moot point for falshing the
BIOS odf this device.

You just need to boot from a DOS Boot Disk and load the program that flashes the FirmWare
from the bootable media (floppy or CDROM).

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Steve N.

May 14, 2006, 10:54:13 AM5/14/06
Terry wrote:

> It's an MSI cd-r/rw
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_firmware_detail.php?UID=410 this is supposed to be the driver for xp.

It is not a driver, it is a firmware update for the hardware. Copy it to
a bootable DOS floppy disk, boot the DOS floppy and run the command they
show to update the firmware.

Steve N.

Terry

May 14, 2006, 11:05:02 AM5/14/06
My apologies I assumed this was a device driver . I am not a very literate
person when it comes to computing.

Rick Rogers

May 14, 2006, 11:04:56 AM5/14/06
Hi Terry,

You are confusing a firmware update with a device driver. Firmware is the
instruction set in the devices' electronics. These are addressed by the
device drivers in Windows. To update firmware, create a DOS floppy (right
click the A: drive with a floppy in it and select format, one of the options
is to create a boot disk) and copy the firmware to it. Then boot the system
with the floppy (you may have to change your BIOS boot options for this) to
load a real mode DOS environment where you can follow MSI's instructions on
updating the firmware. Be aware that you are not in Windows when you do
this, you are in a command line DOS environment.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Terry" <Te...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Terry

May 14, 2006, 11:33:01 AM5/14/06
Thank you all for your time to help me with this. :)

Bruce Chambers

May 14, 2006, 11:46:51 AM5/14/06

You'll need to replace the device for which that driver is intended
with something a bit more modern, I'm afraid.

There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit (and now
64-bit) graphical desktop operating systems, of which WinXP is the
latest generation, has never used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS.
The Recovery Console's CLI (Command Line Interface) is the closest you
can come to the old "DOS mode."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Trax

May 14, 2006, 2:00:04 PM5/14/06
Terry <Te...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>Thank you all for your time to help me with this. :)

You can download what you need at http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Download and run the Win98SE OEM file it will create a floppy boot
disk you can copy your file to and boot up with (hope you have a
floppy).

FWIW As for running DOS programs under XP I use Dosbox
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

|>> Hi Terry,
|>>
|>> You are confusing a firmware update with a device driver. Firmware is the
|>> instruction set in the devices' electronics. These are addressed by the
|>> device drivers in Windows. To update firmware, create a DOS floppy (right
|>> click the A: drive with a floppy in it and select format, one of the options
|>> is to create a boot disk) and copy the firmware to it. Then boot the system
|>> with the floppy (you may have to change your BIOS boot options for this) to
|>> load a real mode DOS environment where you can follow MSI's instructions on
|>> updating the firmware. Be aware that you are not in Windows when you do
|>> this, you are in a command line DOS environment.

--
*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

May 15, 2006, 11:18:28 AM5/15/06
On Sun, 14 May 2006 07:33:01 -0700, Terry

>It's an MSI cd-r/rw

>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_firmware_detail.php?UID=410

>this is supposed to be the driver for xp.

They call it that, but it is NOT; it looks more like a firmware update
for the code within the drive itself. Hence the need for DOS mode; it
makes it easier to perform the low-level hardware access required.

Why do you need it?

An optical drive should need NO special "drivers" to work in XP. This
looks more like a fix for something that they did wrong in the
original firmware when they shipped the drive, and if it is a new
drive that doesn't work, warranty replacement is a better idea.

Don't install "updates" just because the vendor says you can.

>> "Terry" <Te...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> >I have a device driver for xp that the manufacturer says can only be
>> > installed in real dos mode. I have an NTSF system. I do know that xp is
>> > not based on dos . any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

A side-effect of changing the drive's firmware (i.e. the machine
software built into the device, as processed by the device itself) may
that the drive's identity changes. That could mean losing the "life"
assigned to "CD-ROM" and bring you one step closer to Windows
demanding you "activate" it again because the hardware changed "too
much" (i.e. > 4 out of 10 monitored devices changed)

Never turn your back on an installer program