S L O W boot after XP Pro SP2

FulanoDeTal

Jan 30, 2006, 5:02:12 PM1/30/06

Installed SP2 and now it sits for about 2 minutes looking at a blank
screen before completing boot. Any suggestions very welcome, and
thanx in advance.

This has probably been dealt with before, so forgive me.

R. McCarty

Jan 30, 2006, 5:16:00 PM1/30/06
SP2 removes all Prefetch data files (.Pf) and as a result of 2000+
module replacements, your drive is fragmented. However, a blank
screen shouldn't be appearing. Is there any splash - such as the XP
banner on the screen ? After 3-4 reboots and several days of use
the prefetch data will be rebuilt and during an idle period, defrag
will rearrange data based on the Layout.Ini. Some lag or slowness
will always occur after a Service Pack is installed.

"FulanoDeTal" <Fulan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Gerry Cornell

Jan 30, 2006, 5:57:34 PM1/30/06
Please check Event Viewer for Warning / Error Reports in the System
and Application logs for the last boot and post copies.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools, and
Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the error, information
regarding Event ID, Source and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&sd=tech

Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you should
double click for further information. You can copy using copy and paste.
Often the link will, however, say there is no further information.
http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
(Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double click
on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now
start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This
will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report complete with links
into the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event
Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FulanoDeTal

Jan 31, 2006, 4:55:46 PM1/31/06

Thank you both very much. Very comprehensive. I'll get to work and
hopefully resolve my situation. If not, brace yourselves for more
questions.

FulanoDeTal

Jan 31, 2006, 4:57:23 PM1/31/06

The blank screen is the desktop sans icons, which appears after the
splash screen. How does that affect me?

FulanoDeTal

Jan 31, 2006, 5:05:55 PM1/31/06

OK Gerry. Here's the text of a Warning that just occurred:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1003
Date: 1/31/2006
Time: 1:59:41 PM
User: N/A
Computer: USER
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from
the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address
0020E08F1D0D. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will
continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network
address (DHCP) server.

Data:
0000: 79 00 00 00

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro. I wonder if it needs tweaking?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:57:34 -0000, "Gerry Cornell"

FulanoDeTal

Jan 31, 2006, 5:12:00 PM1/31/06

Gerry,

While I'm at it, here's a Warning that preceded the preceding:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: RemoteAccess
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20169
Date: 1/31/2006
Time: 7:59:32 AM

User: N/A
Computer: USER

Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP Address
169.254.xx.xx (x's mine) will be assigned to dial-in clients. Clients
may be unable to access resources on the network.

Gerry Cornell

Jan 31, 2006, 5:43:21 PM1/31/06
Is this a laptop or desktop computer?

Select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
What is the StartUp type for DHCP Client, IPSEC Services
and TCP/IP Netbios Helper?

The default setting for each is is Automatic.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"FulanoDeTal" <Fulan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

FulanoDeTal

Feb 1, 2006, 1:29:09 AM2/1/06

It's an IBM ThinkPad A31p laptop. I already have all 3 services on
automatic.

Alias

Feb 1, 2006, 4:45:29 AM2/1/06
FulanoDeTal wrote:

> It's an IBM ThinkPad A31p laptop. I already have all 3 services on
> automatic.

Have you done a clean up and defragged your hard drive yet?

Alias

FulanoDeTal

Feb 3, 2006, 5:52:56 PM2/3/06
Yes, I've done those things.

But here's a question: In the System Event Viewer, can I use the
sequential times listed to determine which systems are taking
excessive time to load? For instance, on a regular basis, an item
called "ati2mtag" reports an "I2C read/write error" 5 times in a row,
followed in each case 2 minutes later by the Service Control Manager
reporting "The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on
starting".

Am I on the right track?

FulanoDeTal

Feb 5, 2006, 2:58:40 PM2/5/06

Finally resolved slow boot by disabling and/or changing to manual a
bunch of Services, and voila, it now boots nice and fast. I don't
know which Service was the culprit, but I am relieved and happy.
Meantime, thanks for all your suggestions and help, which haved served
to educate me.

Nyco_ork

Feb 6, 2006, 4:32:03 PM2/6/06
I, too, have a Thinkpad A31p. I have also noticed the "I2C read/write error)
occurring five times on bootup. I contacted IBM support and they were
baffled. I've tracked it down to the most recent ATI GL 7800 video driver. I
had archived an older version of the driver, and tried rolling back to that
driver on my test configuration, and the bootup message disappeared.
Apparently the updated driver is looking for something in the hardware
configuration that doesn't exist on this computer. I reported this to IBM
tech, and they allowed as how that might be the case.

Unfortunately, I can't roll back to the older driver on my real system,
because it upsets all my display settings regarding font and icon sizes, and
I can't get them back to the display I want. So I've decided to live with the
error code, since it doesn't seem to be causing any ill effects in the
display. Maybe the next version of the driver will fix the bug. I have not
had the slow boot you report, so this error was not responsible.

Richard

FulanoDeTal

Feb 7, 2006, 4:51:16 PM2/7/06

Thank you for that. Likewise on my system: the error doesn't seem to
affect performance in any way. So now IBM has at least 2 reports of
the same thing.

AndyP

Nov 25, 2006, 4:59:36 PM11/25/06

Hi! I have also the A31p IBM notebook, and I have
a same event report error I2C read/write error 5 time.

I get this error when I install last new driver from Ibm support site.

AndyP

--
AndyP
AndyP's Profile: http://forums.yourdomain.com.au/member.php?userid=209