Re: Saving settings

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 16, 2009, 11:46:10 AM4/16/09
Does the behavior persist if that BAT is removed or disabled? Why do you
use it in the first place?

Remove Past Items From Notification Area (Line 53 Left)

Is the above the same script?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Joe1 wrote:
> I have Win XP updated to today running very nicely. At some point in the
> past, I turned on verbose mode to trouble shoot a problem. One of the
> screens indicates the OS is saving my settings during a reboot. Hold that
> thought.
>
> I also have a script I access with a batch program to remove past items
> from
> the notification area. Works great and my batch program makes it easy to
> use.
>
> Problem: Any time I need to reboot, my customization of the notification
> area seems to get lost rather than saved and I need to go through the
> whole
> process each time after a reboot. Is there any way to save how I had my
> notification area set up? This is clearly not a significant problem but a
> kind of pain in the backside kind of complaint.
>
> Thanks for any ideas and keep those little tips on fix-up scripts coming.
> love them.

Joe1

Apr 16, 2009, 12:17:02 PM4/16/09
Lets start over as you have misunderstood the problem.

I customize the notification area to display only those icons I want there.
I use the properties option after right clicking on the task bar at the
bottom of the screen. Everything is now fine. Along comes a reason to reboot,
maybe a Windows update, and after the reboot, my notification area has the
old icons back that I removed.

All I want to do is to keep the notification area the same after a reboor as
before, if that is at all possible. Very simple but I gave too much info in
my original question. My error.

Even if I do not get a positive answer, I want to let all you responders
know you are a great help to those of us who have less familiarity with the
OS and for that i give you a hearty "Thank You" for your time and patience.

By the way, todays WIN update has slowed my IE 8.0 quite a bit. That's for
later.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 16, 2009, 12:46:49 PM4/16/09
> Lets start over as you have misunderstood the problem.

Or you didn't describe the problem clearly. Moving on...

Are you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?

> ...after the reboot, my notification area

> has the old icons back that I removed.

One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change(s) (upon reboot). These include
anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
anti-virus appliations & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the system protections.

> By the way, todays WIN update has slowed my IE 8.0 quite a bit.

Since the Cumulative Security Update for IE (KB963027) released on 14 Apr-09
does not apply to IE8 running in WinXP SP2 or SP3, I'd doubt any other
update released this week would cause such behavior. [Immunize thread]

See this related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/3ef37656ce18f036/579478566ac1ee9b

Also see...

Internet Explorer 8 takes longer than expected to start:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938
--
~PA Bear

Joe1

Apr 16, 2009, 3:35:01 PM4/16/09
You are correct, I tend to give too much "other" info that can mislead. You
have given me several good tips to pursue which I shall now do. and thanks
also for the info on the IE8.0 slow start. I was not aware of that. Over the
years you have given me quite a bit of help, PA Bear and I do appreciate it.

I have recently removed several of the 'Anti' programs you mentioned as they
seem less valuable today then they were originally.
I will apply some of your tips and see how I make out. Thanks again.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 16, 2009, 6:28:57 PM4/16/09
YW and thanks for your feedback. (We still don't know if your full WinXP
version.)

Joe1

Apr 16, 2009, 7:04:05 PM4/16/09
Sorry PA Bear, I thought my comment of updating to today covered that
question. According to Belarc Advisor I have Windows XP Home Edition Service
Pack 3 (build 2600). That came straight from the advisor. Please keep in mind
that no one ever accussed me of being smart. I did an upgrade from W 98 SE
back in about 2001 or so I think. XP is sure my favorite now. I now see I
have another update waiting so I shall go get that put in place. Thanks for
your attention to detail.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 16, 2009, 7:39:08 PM4/16/09
Thanks for that.

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In your newsreader:

Those with IE8-specific questions or comments can also post in IE Beta
newsgroup for now: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

In your newsreader: