power options issue

David Black

Jun 15, 2010, 7:48:56 PM6/15/10
After I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set my monitor and
hard drive to turn off in 15 minutes of inactivity nothing turns off. The
only setting that works is turning off the monitor in 1 minute and the hard
drive in three minutes. I am not sure what is causing this issue or how to
rix it.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 15, 2010, 8:43:15 PM6/15/10

Task Manager | Processes tab: What's still running in the background?

Any Scheduled Tasks which might be interfering?

What's your Automatic Updates setting?

SC Tom

Jun 15, 2010, 9:13:29 PM6/15/10

"David Black" <David...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Is this a laptop or a desktop? If a laptop, did you check the settings for
both On Battery and On AC Power?
--
SC Tom

David Black

Jun 16, 2010, 7:04:51 AM6/16/10

> to fix it.
>
> Thanks very much for the prompt response.
Under the Prcesses Tab there are a lot of items listed, but only one
process
System Idle Process is using 99 CPU the rest are using 00 CPUs
I have no Scheduled Tasks set up to run
My Automatic Updates Setting is set up to download, but not install
updates
Also, I have made no changes to my system prior to this issue starting

David Black

Jun 16, 2010, 7:18:40 AM6/16/10
This issue is happening on a desktop computer

"SC Tom" wrote:

> .

Unknown

Jun 16, 2010, 11:04:32 AM6/16/10
Also, did you reboot?

"David Black" <David...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Unknown

Jun 16, 2010, 11:03:40 AM6/16/10
After the settings in 'power options' did you click 'apply'?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 16, 2010, 11:45:17 AM6/16/10
David Black wrote:
<PASTE>

>> After I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set my monitor
>> and hard drive to turn off in 15 minutes of inactivity nothing turns off.
>> The only setting that works is turning off the monitor in 1 minute and
>> the
>> hard drive in three minutes. I am not sure what is causing this issue or
>> how to fix it.
</PASTE>

>> Task Manager | Processes tab: What's still running in the background?
>>
>> Any Scheduled Tasks which might be interfering?
>>
>> What's your Automatic Updates setting?
>>
> Thanks very much for the prompt response.
> Under the Prcesses Tab there are a lot of items listed, but only one
> process
> System Idle Process is using 99 CPU the rest are using 00 CPUs
> I have no Scheduled Tasks set up to run
> My Automatic Updates Setting is set up to download, but not install
> updates
> Also, I have made no changes to my system prior to this issue starting

Try the clean boot troubleshooting technique in hopes of being able to ID
the culprit causing the problem; cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434.

Also (especially if this is sudden, new behavior & KB979906 is failing to
install)...

Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select
CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g.,
KB979906).

NB: If IE7 or IE8's installed and a Root Certificates update is listed in
the Optional Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan
results window, install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

David Black

Jun 16, 2010, 2:30:11 PM6/16/10
If I change turn monitor off from 10 minutes down to 1 minute I do not have
to reboot for the change to take effect.

"Unknown" wrote:

> .

PA Bear

Jun 24, 2010, 12:23:48 PM6/24/10
Is it the same computer that was having System Restore issues in March
2010? => http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/be13b623c0b7f647

Is it also the same computer where you were getting "access denied"
errors in March 2010? =>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/86e48c6b9b4b33af
--
~PA Bear, via Google Groups

On Jun 15, 7:48 pm, David Black <DavidBl...@discussions.microsoft.com>

Jose

Jun 24, 2010, 3:56:08 PM6/24/10
On Jun 16, 7:04 am, David Black <DavidBl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

If any one of those lots of items you see causes the CPU to use 10% of
CPU time (even for a fraction of a second), the power down options
countdown timers gets reset.

If you just glance at TM, 99% idle could be the case, but you would
have to watch it for a while and maybe see something that uses 10% -
even for a split second that uses 10% if you are lucky enough to see
it.

So far I have in my list these Processes (that are not doing anything)
interfere:

Skype, any kind of Instant Messenger, MagicJack, AVG, Bit Defender.

Anybody know of any more?

They are doing something.