windows cannot find '/idlist

daniel

Dec 15, 2005, 7:50:29 PM12/15/05
I am getting the following error message when I reboot my laptop:
windows cannot find '/idlist, and then a group of numbers that varries
each time. This is not a consistent problem, it only happens once
every 10 or so reboots. I have read previous strings but have not been
able to find the problem. I have even done a clean install of the OS
and all programs and the problem resurfaced. I suspect it has
something to do with the firewall, blue tooth, or wireless NIC but am
at a loss as to how to fix it. I greatly appreciate any and all help I
can get. My hardware is as follows, Dell Inspiron 6000D, internal b/g,
internal bluetooth, XP pro, and Trend Micro PC-Cillin 05.

Alan Edwards

Dec 15, 2005, 8:29:57 PM12/15/05
The idlist error is very (in fact, extremely) likely due to an Intel
wireless chip driver.
Disable it if it causes a problem. Try in Msconfig
(Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)

A previous response by Doug Knox may help after that:
---quote-----------
Windows XP support Wireless Zero Configuration. You don't need the
Intel configuration/control software. To let Windows manage the
wireless settings, right click My Network Places and select
Properties. Right click your wireless connection and select
Properties. On the Wireless Networks tab, check the box Use Windows
to configure my wireless network settings. Use the settings here to
configure your wireless connection.

Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
---unquote----------

...Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

Adam Leinss

Dec 15, 2005, 10:00:00 PM12/15/05
"daniel" <slat...@gmail.com> wrote in

I think it's related to the Plaxo plugin for Outlook. If you use
Process Explorer and use the spyglass tool, you may be able to figure
out what is spawning the process.

One of my users has this a few weeks ago and it was solved by disabling
one of the startup items and I think it was Plaxo.

HTH,
Adam

daniel

Dec 16, 2005, 6:23:57 PM12/16/05
You are correct, the problem was the Intel software. I disabled the
wireless card and the error went away. I found an update to the Intel
software on thier website and the installation of the new software
fixed what ever the problem was. I did not test to see if the problem
occurs with the windows zero configuration as the software update fixed
the problem.
Thank you for your help.

drl711

Dec 17, 2005, 12:08:50 AM12/17/05
yes-it is coming from the Intel Wireless client. You can match the
second set of numbers in the error message with the process ID in Task
manager.Be sure to set view=PID in task manager. I bet it will point to
the Zero configuration service.

mesu...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2014, 2:50:19 PM1/21/14
Adam can u help me?send me an email i have idlist problem email is dull...@gmail.com

Nil

Jan 21, 2014, 4:41:18 PM1/21/14
On 21 Jan 2014, mesu...@gmail.com wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Adam can u help me?send me an email i have idlist problem email is
> dull...@gmail.com

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... in December 2005, Adam was
assassinated by an unknown gunman. A trace of the bullet led to
recovery of the murder weapon which had been previously owned by both
Intel and Plaxo as corporate recreational property. Lawyers of both
companies managed to stonewall the investigation, which still to this
day is officially classified as "unsolved."

Paul

Jan 21, 2014, 6:02:47 PM1/21/14
Original post, from 2005.

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&A=0&MSGI=%3Cgo54q15oqs7cn18fa21cv48pnjhqg4ib3o%404ax.com%3E

What we call posting to a thread from 2005, when the current date is 2014.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=necroposting

And I learned a new term in that article. "n00blars".

Alan, the guy in the thread, is pictured here, in the upper left.
The DTS server appears to be shut down now. I think that means
Alan is trapped inside the archive.org Skynet. Maybe a gunman
didn't get him after all. He escaped, to live a new adventure.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111221235853/http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/gallery.htm

PAul

Paul

Nil

Jan 22, 2014, 1:09:26 AM1/22/14
On 21 Jan 2014, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Nil wrote:
>> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... in December 2005, Adam was
>> assassinated by an unknown gunman. A trace of the bullet led to
>> recovery of the murder weapon which had been previously owned by
>> both Intel and Plaxo as corporate recreational property. Lawyers
>> of both companies managed to stonewall the investigation, which
>> still to this day is officially classified as "unsolved."
>
> Original post, from 2005.
>
> http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&A=0&MSGI=%3Cgo54q15oqs7cn18fa21cv48pnjhqg4ib3o%404ax.com%3E
>
> What we call posting to a thread from 2005, when the current date
> is 2014.
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=necroposting

Good word! I've been seeing lots of places to use it lately.