what's a DOMAIN ??

Monsuporn

Jan 11, 2002, 1:52:55 PM1/11/02
I cannot connect to my nt4.0 server..
is it happen from I do not setting DOMAIN ?

what's it ??
is it different from WORKGROUP ?
is it can use with NT4.0 ??

Carey

Jan 10, 2002, 10:56:06 PM1/10/02
When a Windows NT workstation joins a domain, it appears in computer browsers under the
domain name it just joined and is able to use and reference user accounts and global
groups created in that domain. If the domain trusts other domains, the user accounts and
global groups of those other trusted domains are also available for use on the
workstation. Domain and trusted domain user accounts may be used to log on to the
workstation or to allow remote connections to it, referenced to grant permissions to use
resources such as a shared directory or printer, and referenced to grant user rights on
the workstation.

When a workstation joins a Windows NT domain, the following things take place:

1.. The workstation shows up in computer browser lists as being within the domain, just
as it does when it belongs to a workgroup.

2.. The workstation can use accounts and global groups (but not local groups) from its
domain and from any domain that its domain trusts. (User accounts may be logged on to or
used to remotely connect to the workstation; user accounts and global groups may be
granted permissions to resources such as files, directories, printers, and may also be
granted user rights in the User Manager).

3.. By default, the Domain Admins global group from the domain is added to the
Administrators local group of the workstation, thus making the workstation remotely
adminsterable by domain administrators.

4.. By default, the Domain Users global group from the domain is added to the Users
local group of the workstation, thus making it possible for any user in the domain to log
on or connect to the workstation.

Items 3 and 4 are merely default settings. These global groups may be removed from the
respective local groups at any time by any administrator.

Only XP Pro can be setup to join a Domain, not XP Home.

Ian Fette, MCP

Jan 11, 2002, 7:03:44 AM1/11/02
I would suggest that if you do not know what a domain is, that you are not
in a position / should not be allowed to be in a position where
understanding it would be necessary. And fix your clock, future posting is
extremely rude.

"Monsuporn" <Sm...@after2k.net> wrote in message

Gerry O'Brien

Jan 11, 2002, 7:40:35 AM1/11/02
Ian, it might be more prudent to help the user rather than commenting on
what they should or should not be doing or knowing. You are an MCP, please
act accordingly and remember that you didn't know anything at first either.

--
Gerry O'Brien
Corporate Trainer/Developer

"Ian Fette, MCP" <ia...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

GreywolfX42

Jan 11, 2002, 8:10:34 AM1/11/02
Rat on, Ian. I'm with you. Screw the future posters and may they never
receive any response.

"Ian Fette, MCP" <ia...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

---

Dtr

Jan 11, 2002, 8:13:11 AM1/11/02
HERE HERE!

"Gerry O'Brien" <gkcom...@fundy.net> wrote in message

---

Rextilleon P. Jones

Jan 11, 2002, 1:32:31 PM1/11/02
ian wife beat you or something?
"GreywolfX42" <Jor...@AOL.Com> wrote in message

Luther Miller

Jan 11, 2002, 1:37:00 PM1/11/02
Yeah, lets keep those bloody clueless users clueless! How else can we expect
job security???
Besides, won't they be happier that way? "Ignorance is bliss" ;-)

"Barney Fife" <nobo...@home.here> wrote in message

> "Gerry O'Brien" <gkcom...@fundy.net> wrote:
>
> >Ian, it might be more prudent to help the user rather than commenting on
> >what they should or should not be doing or knowing. You are an MCP,
please
> >act accordingly and remember that you didn't know anything at first
either.

> You can damned-well bet more folks are WITH Ian's position than agin'
> it.

Jim

Jan 11, 2002, 4:02:37 PM1/11/02
Oh my god! Somebody "future posted!!!".

get a life, you guys. Who cares?

Answer the question nicely, or go someplace else.

Ian Fette, MCP

Jan 11, 2002, 4:45:36 PM1/11/02
Alright, here is real help to the user.
First, set your date, time, and timezone correctly. Use the Help feature on
the Start menu to find out how to do this if you do not know.
Secondly, look in help for the definiton of a domain. Click Start, click
help. Type in Glossary. Click on the result that says "glossary". Hit D for
domain near the top, and scroll down.

If people future post, they do not deserve help. If people future post *and*
are too damned lazy to even read the built-in help files, they really don't
deserve help, IMO.

GreywolfX42

Jan 11, 2002, 4:50:48 PM1/11/02
I have a suggestion where you can go.
"Jim" <ji...@exmsft.com> wrote in message

Oh my god! Somebody "future posted!!!".

get a life, you guys. Who cares?

Answer the question nicely, or go someplace else.

Gerry O'Brien

Jan 11, 2002, 9:27:33 PM1/11/02

I realize that a lot of people take the easy road and ask a question rather
than look it up. I have those same type of people call me, talk to me,
e-mail me, whatever, every day of my life.

People will take the easy way to solve a problem almost every time. If they
don't understand what the help files say about these things, it's a waste of
time to read them. Do you ever wonder why people take instructor lead
course rather than buying a book and learning on their own?

You need to understand the educational process to appreciate that learning
comes in all styles. Let people learn the way they learn best.

If I think a post is asking something too dumb, I either respond with the
solution based on that persons skill level or I don't respond at all. The
newsgroups are here for the support that these people can't find elsewhere.

My statement stands. Either help or don't, but don't insult or flame the
person. It's so easy to do when you aren't face to face isn't it? Just a
bunch of letters typed in at a keyboard. Rather impersonal and lifeless.
However, that degrades the person and makes them afraid to ask another
question. Remember this, there are no stupid questions, just stupid
answers.

--
Gerry O'Brien

Corporate Trainer

Independent Software Development Contractor

ICQ# 14572013

MSN gkco...@hotmail.com <mailto:gkco...@hotmail.com>

"Diplomacy is saying "nice doggy". until you find a rock"

REMOVE 01 FROM E-Mail to reply

"Ian Fette, MCP" <ia...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

Michael Stevens

Jan 11, 2002, 10:34:16 PM1/11/02
Jim,
You are accessing the newsgroups through the web, not a newsreader. You do
not see the effect of future posts when viewed from the web. With a
newsreader, you have the option of sorting by subject, author, date, size,
etc. Most people sort by date and the future posts linger at the top until
they expire or you remover them manually. Most of the time it's because the
poster did not adjust the Time Zone during the initial install of XP, but
some less than ethical posters deliberately post with a future date to do
the equivalent of cutting in line. Many of the regular contributors to the
newsgroups filter the future post and never see them. The suggestion to
change the Time and Date Properties is a tip to assure them a larger
exposure than their post is currently getting.

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP Windows XP
Mste...@mvps.org

SINNER

Jan 11, 2002, 8:52:00 PM1/11/02
"Michael Stevens" <Mste...@mvps.org> wrote in

and you waste too much time telling people about it and you yourself cant
post correctly. Top posting is RUDE and its all M$'s fault and propagated
by using that POS Outlook express.

Michael, get a real newsreader and spend more time helping people rather
than wasteing time talking about future posting. You do this repetitively
every day..

You the newsgroup COPS?

David

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Michael Stevens

Jan 11, 2002, 10:57:16 PM1/11/02
Actually, I accidentally left out the annoying part. LOL Thanks for bringing
it up. 8~^)

--

> "Michael Stevens" <Mste...@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >some less than ethical posters deliberately post with a future date to do
> >the equivalent of cutting in line.
>

> "ethical"? E T H I C A L ? ? ? ?
>
> Whatta buncha nonsensical soapbox crapola.
>
> Just say it annoys you and don't try to bring "ethics" into the
> picture.

Michael Stevens

Jan 11, 2002, 11:35:00 PM1/11/02
Your just as rude not trimming. Personal preference, I don't like to scroll
for every post and you are the worst of the bottom posters. You never trim.
I have other newsreaders, this is the best one for this type of newsgroup
for me. YMMV.
Newsgroup cop I thought that was your job lately.

--

"SINNER" <djro...@attbi.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Stevens" <Mste...@mvps.org> wrote in

Michael Stevens

Jan 11, 2002, 11:41:13 PM1/11/02
My apology, you do usually trim. But it is not my preference to bottom post.
Just block me if you don't like it, I won't mind.

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP Windows XP
Mste...@mvps.org

"Michael Stevens" <Mste...@mvps.org> wrote in message

SINNER

Jan 11, 2002, 10:04:28 PM1/11/02

> My apology, you do usually trim. But it is not my preference to bottom
> post. Just block me if you don't like it, I won't mind.

Certainly wouldn't PLONK anyone man/woman enough to do that without further
ribbing. Gained my respect.. Not like you care but..

FYI in my browser, I sort by date and the only way it really has any major
effect on the sort is :
1 - its the first post in the thread
2 - You view the group Unthreaded.

Have a nice weekend ;o)

Michael Stevens

Jan 12, 2002, 2:27:54 AM1/12/02
SINNER <djro...@attbi.com> wrote in

OK, Xnews is a very interesting newsreader, and I now see why you advocate
bottom posting. 8-) But how the heck do you set it up to view all headers
sorted by date? From what I have seen so far the furture posts seem to
affect the threading with Xnews adversly also.
BTW I am posting with Xnews and it is very cool.
Anyone that want to try it, url below.
http://xnews.3dnews.net/

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
Mste...@mvps.org

Gerry O'Brien

Alexander Grigoriev

Jan 12, 2002, 10:22:07 AM1/12/02
If people are damned lazy to select View->Current View->Hide Read Messages,
and prefer to spend time bitching on the "future posters" instead, I don't
know what they are doing here.

I've never seen people complaining on "future posting" anywhere alse, only
in MS newsgroups. Is it local snobism?

SINNER

Jan 12, 2002, 9:36:05 AM1/12/02
Michael Stevens <Mste...@mvps.org> wrote in

> OK, Xnews is a very interesting newsreader, and I now see why you
> advocate bottom posting. 8-) But how the heck do you set it up to view
> all headers sorted by date? From what I have seen so far the furture
> posts seem to affect the threading with Xnews adversly also.
> BTW I am posting with Xnews and it is very cool.
> Anyone that want to try it, url below.
> http://xnews.3dnews.net/

See all headers:

Special/ Setup Xnews / Display tab

or when you open the post Click on the first toolbar button.

To sort by date just click on the data header or change a setting in
Xnews.ini:

[Display]
SortOn=Date
SortOrder=-1

Any more q's just let me know ;oP

SINNER

Jan 12, 2002, 11:32:38 AM1/12/02
"·Scott·" <sdglock...@hotCLOTHESmail.com> wrote in news:
#Zk4rE5mBHA.2552@tkmsftngp04:

> they don't want to read the future-dated post to begin with.

Pretty easy..

Dont Click. The choice is always yours. Plenty of other people that want to
be helpful instead of ridiculeing will help.

Bob Young

Jan 12, 2002, 4:33:14 PM1/12/02
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:54:10 GMT, "·Scott·"
<sdglock...@hotCLOTHESmail.com> wrote:

>Exactly--point being, selecting "hide read messages" is useless unless you first select the message you want to hide!
>So OK, I won't select or mark as "ignore" any future-dated messages, ever again, because like you said, it's my choice. "Just ignore those messages, and don't reply", they say.
>So what do I do when 12, 15, or 20 of these messages stay at the top of my list? Put on a "love thy brother" smile and scroll down, visually searching for the first "real" new message?

The root problem is that outlook express is a decent email client, but
totally and horribly *SUCKS* as a news reader. Think about it for a
moment. Something as trivial as someone on the other side of the world
having their clock mis-set causes thousands of OE users to fiddle with
kill filters, post angry flame messages, and whine endlessly about the
evils of "future posting."

Why should it be so difficult to delete a single message? Other news
readers have no problem dispatching individual messages in different
ways. The rest of the world is not going to stop making errors, and
everybody else isn't going to quit (intentionally or unintentionally)
posting messages with future dates just because you choose to use a
broken news reader. If you feel you must have some feature only
available in OE then you need to recognize that you've chosen a news
client that doesn't handle future dated posts very well due to it's
poor design, and stop whining and complaining about it. Otherwise get
a real news reader and enjoy usenet.

OutlookExpress is free, and worth every penny of it.

--
Cheers
Bob Young - Create Your Own Reality

Richard

Jan 12, 2002, 4:51:35 PM1/12/02
What do you recommend as a newsreader?
--
Richard
http://www.aspworldonline.com

"Bob Young" <BYo...@2B.Removed.Debug1.Com> wrote in message

Bob Young

Jan 12, 2002, 5:27:56 PM1/12/02
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:51:35 -0500, "Richard"
<ric...@2020software.com> wrote:

>What do you recommend as a newsreader?
>--
>Richard
>http://www.aspworldonline.com

Personally I like Agent - http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Bob Young

Jan 12, 2002, 6:42:26 PM1/12/02
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:36:40 -0500, "·Scott·"
<sdglock...@hotCLOTHESmail.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>That does nothing to address the fact that those who purposely future date are at fault.
> I'd say you were using "blame the victim" logic.

Whether a future dated post is intentional, or accidental is
irrelevant, both are going to continue to occur. Your choice to
continue to using OE is in effect choosing to remain a victim, and
that's fine if that's your choice, you just need to accept it, and
understand that the rest of the world is not going to change to
accommodate your choice.

>And slam it all you want, OE works fine for me as a newsreader.

Fine with me, to each his own. I just wish all your OE brethren would
accept the feature set of their chosen news client, and stop
cluttering the news group with "pissing in the wind" messages telling
people about future dated posts. Kill file them, hide read messages,
ignore it, or whatever, and get on with it. Quit complaining about the
choice you've made.

>I will of course admit that it's blatantly idiotic how OE can't (easily) locally delete a newsgroup message.

Bad design, pure and simple

SINNER

Jan 12, 2002, 4:53:23 PM1/12/02

> with the added effect that future messages from that sender will be
> blocked

available in Xnews as well..

K for Killfile or PLONK

Bob Young

Jan 12, 2002, 9:17:13 PM1/12/02
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:52:35 -0500, "·Scott·"
<sdglock...@hotCLOTHESmail.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Once again, it has nothing to do with OE. As I type this in OE, I have Xnews running
>(yep, I decided to try it again), and there are exactly 18 future-dated messages at the
>top of the thread listing for winxp.general. And there they will stay until I manually
>remove them somehow. Am I now at fault for using Xnews?

It not a question of Fault, its it's a matter of choice, and accepting the
side effects of the choices made. I wasn't saying you were in error for
choosing OE, just that you should accept it's bad features as well as it's
good, and not expect the world to alter it's behavior because of a design
flaw in your chosen news reader.

>Of course I can sort differently, but I don't want to, because this is how I like to do things.
> That's all we've been saying all along.

That's a choice, if you choose to sort that way in OE, you are also
choosing to have future dated posts at the top of the list. That's fine if
that's the way you want to do things, just accept the limitations of your
chosen news client, and don't waste bandwidth with useless whining about
future dated posts.

>It doesn't make sense to say that I "just need to accept it", unless all you mean
>by that is that whining about future-dated posts is useless. If that's the case,
>then I mostly agree,

Then we mostly agree.

> it's useless to bitch about it, because people will continue to do it anyway.
> OTOH if you're saying "they're not doing anything wrong in the first place", I think you're off
>base. To use an analogy, you can blame someone for using Outlook or Outlook Express
>when they activate (yet another) email worm, but you also have to admit the person who
>wrote and distributed that worm is a piece of garbage.

I wasn't really factoring the motives of the sender, it seems irrelevant,
some are doing it out of malice, some are just accidental, either way the
results are the same on the receiving end.

Bob Young

Jan 13, 2002, 2:37:47 AM1/13/02
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:24:35 -0500, "·Scott·"
<sdglock...@hotCLOTHESmail.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>How can I better explain that it's not a "limitation of my chosen news client",
>but is independent of it? Future-dated posts appear at the top when
>you sort by -date, regardless of client.

True. My personal preference is to sort by subject, but if I sorted by
date, the future posts appear at the top. At that point I can read,
respond to, ignore, or delete the future dated post(s). Using OE you don't
have _all_ those same options of dealing with future dated posts. *That* is
the "limitation of your chosen news client."

Michael Stevens

Jan 13, 2002, 4:48:06 AM1/13/02
Bob,
I have been exploring Xreader since downloading it last night and I really
don't see any compelling reason to change other than the seamless ability to
bottom post. This is not the only other newsreader I have installed and
checked out, as I am a charter member of the Forte Agent newsreader and do
you remember Winvn? But none of them really gives a coherent look on these
newsgroups better than OE. For anything other than reading peer group
support newsgroups, OE is not suitable, but for peer group support, it can't
be beat. The future posts are just as annoying on other newsreaders until
you set filters, scores, etc. as they are on OE.
I post to the future posters not to flame them, but to eliminate a variable
that is limiting their resources and possibly a cause of their problem. The
FACT that many of the regular and most knowledgeable the contributors have
filters set to block future posters is a big limiting resource that they may
not know. Most of the time I do not supply any help because I want them to
repost a message that will not be blocked.

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP Windows XP
Mste...@mvps.org

"Bob Young" <BYo...@2B.Removed.Debug1.Com> wrote in message

Varun Suri

Jan 13, 2002, 12:03:37 PM1/13/02
"Bob Young" <BYo...@2B.Removed.Debug1.Com> wrote in message

> True. My personal preference is to sort by subject, but if I sorted by
> date, the future posts appear at the top. At that point I can read,
> respond to, ignore, or delete the future dated post(s). Using OE you don't
> have _all_ those same options of dealing with future dated posts. *That*
is
> the "limitation of your chosen news client."

Using OE you can delete any post by dragging it to the Deleted Items folder.

--
Varun Suri
Microsoft Associate Expert.

Ken Blake

Jan 13, 2002, 2:21:46 PM1/13/02
"EconMan" <nospam-...@worldlyphilosophy.com> wrote in message

> I tend to agree in this regard. I use OE for my home mail, but
I just
> can't imagine using it as a newreader/poster for anything other
than
> casual usenet participation. Heck, Free Agent is "free" and
their
> premium version is a few bucks (well worth it IMO), not to
mention
> other clients available.

Each to his own. I use OE as a newsreader, but *don't* use it for
E-mail. And I used to use Free Agent as a newsreader, but
switched to OE because I liked it better (I've also tried the
full Agent, and still prefer OE).

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Bob Young

Jan 13, 2002, 2:45:04 PM1/13/02
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:48:06 -0800, "Michael Stevens" <Mste...@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Bob,

>I post to the future posters not to flame them, but to eliminate a variable
>that is limiting their resources and possibly a cause of their problem. The
>FACT that many of the regular and most knowledgeable the contributors have
>filters set to block future posters is a big limiting resource that they may
>not know. Most of the time I do not supply any help because I want them to
>repost a message that will not be blocked.

Yes I do remember Winvn, though I personally never used it.

I've no problem with your method, if OE works as you like that's great.
Personally I download a lot of binaries, and I don't particularly care for
OE's interface in general...but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

My responses were really directed more at people who seem to get very
frustrated by future dated posts. You see it all the time here, some OE
user will flame a poster with a future date. Another will post an all caps
header screaming "stop posting from the future." These people are pissing
in the wind. They need to either accept the fact that OE doesn't handle
future dated posts well, or choose a news client that does. The rest of the
world isn't going to modify it's behavior to suit them.

Bob Young

Jan 13, 2002, 2:45:48 PM1/13/02
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:33:37 +0530, "Varun Suri" <do_not_send_email> wrote:

>"Bob Young" <BYo...@2B.Removed.Debug1.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> True. My personal preference is to sort by subject, but if I sorted by
>> date, the future posts appear at the top. At that point I can read,
>> respond to, ignore, or delete the future dated post(s). Using OE you don't
>> have _all_ those same options of dealing with future dated posts. *That* is
>> the "limitation of your chosen news client."
>
>Using OE you can delete any post by dragging it to the Deleted Items folder.

Hmmm...according to Scott:

"You can directly delete the post with OE, but you have to go through a
ridiculous routine of doing a "find" on the message, then right clicking it
and moving it to the "Deleted Items" folder."

In Agent you hit the delete key, and the message is gone. By my estimation
the procedure required by OE would fairly be called a limitation. Or was it
just your point that *technically* you _can_ delete individual messages. If
that was your point, I would submit that in practical terms the process is
so needlessly complicated that it is effectively a limitation of OE.

Ken Blake

Jan 13, 2002, 6:50:13 PM1/13/02

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:21:46 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain.com> wrote:
>
> >Each to his own. I use OE as a newsreader, but *don't* use it
for
> >E-mail. And I used to use Free Agent as a newsreader, but
> >switched to OE because I liked it better (I've also tried the
> >full Agent, and still prefer OE).
>

> I do not mean any sort of a "flame" with this, but I just can't
> understand your "utility" logic.
>
> I know that people vary, and just like with movies, people's
tastes
> vary across observations, but to use OE as a news reader only
and
> actually prefer it over a bona fide "news manager" is confusing
to me.

> Not that you need defend your tastes to me or anyone else, but
what
> "news-wise" is it you like about OE over say Agent?

I find the OE interface to be far more congenial and easier to
work with. I also use more than one news server, something OE
supports very well, and Agent doesn't support at all.

> I'm sorry -- again not trying to be offensive -- but it would
be like
> someone coming to me and saying they would prefer a Yugo to a
> Lexus..... I mean it is their right to prefer it, but I just
don't
> understand.

Your feeling that OE is a Yugo and Agent a Lexus is just
that--*your* feeling. It's a value judgement, and we don't all
have the same values. In my view, it's the other way around;
Agent is the Yugo, and OE the Lexus.

But I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that OE is
better than Agent. We all have different tastes and work in
different ways. Features that are to important to you aren't
important to me, and vice versa. That's why I began my post by
saying "to each his own."

There's only one advantage I see to Agent over OE, and that's its
handling of multi-part binaries. When I do that, I *do* use Free
Agent; for all other uses, I use and
prefer OE.

Ken Blake

Jan 14, 2002, 9:10:39 PM1/14/02

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:50:13 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> I know, and I was wrong to phrase it that way..... and knew so
about
> the time I pressed send. My apologies.

Not a problem. No offense taken.