XP licensce transferrable?

jfjohn

Feb 21, 2010, 8:48:01 AM2/21/10
I have a Dell pc that no longer works. Can I use the Dell operating system
disk that came with it to install Windows XP on another non-Dell machine?

olfart

Feb 21, 2010, 8:56:22 AM2/21/10

"jfjohn" <jfj...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have a Dell pc that no longer works. Can I use the Dell operating system
> disk that came with it to install Windows XP on another non-Dell machine?

The disk will install XP, but you will need a new license key

DL

Feb 21, 2010, 8:54:56 AM2/21/10
No, its an oem licence which is not transferable, its also likely the case
that your dell win installation disks will not install on a none dell sys,
as they will be locked to origonal dell hardware

Paul Randall

Feb 21, 2010, 10:42:33 AM2/21/10

"jfjohn" <jfj...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell pc that no longer works. Can I use the Dell operating system
> disk that came with it to install Windows XP on another non-Dell machine?

OEM EULAs state that the license is non-transferrable.
Some Dell OS installation discs will install the OS on other brands of PCs,
using the key on the label on the old PC. Activation may work on this other
PC. It would be an interesting experiment.

-Paul Randall

Ken Blake, MVP

Feb 21, 2010, 10:48:31 AM2/21/10

No, for two reasons:

1. You have an OEM copy of Windows and the biggest disadvantage of OEM
versions is that their license is good only for the first computer
they are installed on. They may never be moved to another computer,
whether Dell or not.

2. Almost certainly your CD is BIOS-locked to the Dell motherboard and
it will not work on another computer.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 11:50:08 AM2/21/10

Ignore what others have said. I have successfully installed DELL branded OS
on a self built computer and it installed and also activated it online.

Sometimes you may need to phone Microsoft of what you have done and they
normally activate it whatever depending on the time of the day and the mood
they are in. If some MVPs had provoked them on that particular day then you
will have to phone next day but activate they will!.

hth

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 11:52:38 AM2/21/10

"DL" <notv...@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message

> No, its an oem licence which is not transferable, its also likely the case
> that your dell win installation disks will not install on a none dell sys,
> as they will be locked to origonal dell hardware

You are talking completely and utterly rubbish. No wonder you are jobless
and scrounging on taxpayers. You better sort out your drug addiction
problem before coming here.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 11:56:00 AM2/21/10

"Paul Randall" <paul...@cableone.net> wrote in message

> OEM EULAs state that the license is non-transferrable.
> Some Dell OS installation discs will install the OS on other brands of
> PCs, using the key on the label on the old PC. Activation may work on
> this other PC. It would be an interesting experiment.

Yes agreed. Done it and it works. I do it all the time!! Don't forget, XP
is not actively supported by Microsoft because it wants everybody to buy
Windows 7. We are on what is called extended support period until 2014 and
so no further work is being done actively unless some critical updates are
required.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 11:58:47 AM2/21/10

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> 2. Almost certainly your CD is BIOS-locked to the Dell motherboard and
> it will not work on another computer.

RUBBISH. you haven't formatted a HD or know anything about it so what do
you know about "BIOS-locked" Operating system. All CDs are almost identical
except that DELL and HP CDs contain their proprietary stuff.

Gordon

Feb 21, 2010, 12:12:59 PM2/21/10

"20100221" <2010...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> RUBBISH. you haven't formatted a HD or know anything about it so what do
> you know about "BIOS-locked" Operating system.

New here, are you? I would duck very deep if I were you. You're going to
very quickly get binned by everyone here if you continue to spout such
ignorant rubbish.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 12:30:10 PM2/21/10

"Gordon" <gordon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> New here, are you? I would duck very deep if I were you. You're going to
> very quickly get binned by everyone here if you continue to spout such
> ignorant rubbish.

First WHO CARES if I am binned by everyone. I thought this was done years
ago and yet you took the trouble to read my message!.

Second: I am not spouting any ignorant rubbish. all my writings have been
through experience and practical demonstration on my some 1000 PCs at my
university.

hth

Shenan Stanley

Feb 21, 2010, 12:36:30 PM2/21/10
20100221 wrote:

<snipped>

Gordon wrote:
> New here, are you? I would duck very deep if I were you. You're
> going to very quickly get binned by everyone here if you continue
> to spout such ignorant rubbish.

Gordon,

20100221 is not 'new'. They used to post her under the name "anonymous"
(really.) They said the same stuff, made the same comments, etc - although
I believe that since they changed their name to a number - they have become
a little more prolific about it all.

My name for them has always been SAQless.

They seem to enjoy calling me antipodean
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodeans and/or
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861586035/antipodean.html and/or
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antipodean .)

Whatever/whomever they are (some people believe them to be a new moniker for
"Patrick Christopher Butts", "pcbutts", "The Real Truth", etc <- I am not so
convinced - nor do I care in the end) - new is not a word you can associate
with them.

Ignore them when you can. Ignore them when you can't. Or talk with them at
great length if you wish. Your decision, your time. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Gordon

Feb 21, 2010, 12:40:20 PM2/21/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Whatever/whomever they are (some people believe them to be a new moniker
> for "Patrick Christopher Butts", "pcbutts", "The Real Truth", etc <- I am
> not so convinced - nor do I care in the end) - new is not a word you can
> associate with them.

Right. That would figure.
Into the bozo bin they go....

Gordon

Feb 21, 2010, 12:41:19 PM2/21/10

> Second: I am not spouting any ignorant rubbish. all my writings have been
> through experience and practical demonstration on my some 1000 PCs at my
> university.

Yeah right. And your "university" buys pre-installed windows? I think NOT.

PLONK.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 12:41:00 PM2/21/10
The guy has a good memory. That is what is needed here! Keep it up.

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

<snipped due to irrelevancy>

Shenan Stanley

Feb 21, 2010, 12:52:21 PM2/21/10
<entire conversation, archived>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/32c30db363bab586/
</entire conversation, archived>

20100221 wrote:

<snipped>

20100221 wrote:
> The guy has a good memory. That is what is needed here! Keep it up.
>

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>
> <snipped due to irrelevancy>

<put back because I felt like it>

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 12:54:38 PM2/21/10

> Yeah right. And your "university" buys pre-installed windows? I think NOT.

You will be surprised to learn that HP and DELL DON'T sell white boxes with
no operating system. All our boxes have serial numbers affixed on them.
Whether we decide to keep the same configurations is a different matter all
together. We do buy DELL and HP systems which are all preinstalled with OS
but we normally wipe them clean and use our own VLK OS to suit our own
purpose. This, therefore, releases 1000s of serial numbers and useless
media kits which we just leave them outside for people to help them selves.!
students take them and use the serial numbers on these boxes for their own
short term fame!!

<plonker>

hth

Shenan Stanley

Feb 21, 2010, 12:55:08 PM2/21/10
<snipped>

Gordon wrote:
<snipped>
> ... your "university" buys pre-installed windows? I think NOT.
<snipped>

From my experience - most universities (in the U.S. anyway) do buy systems
with pre-installed windows. They may not keep said pre-installed windows
installed, but they do purchase them with pre-installed windows because that
covers their need for a license to go along with the volume license
agreement they normally have. ;-)

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 1:17:09 PM2/21/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Whatever/whomever they are (some people believe them to be a new moniker

> for "Patrick Christopher Butts", "pcbutts", "The Real Truth", etc <- I am
> not so convinced - nor do I care in the end) - new is not a word you can
> associate with them.

Not so loudly antipodean. Best thing is to let people assume anything they
want. It suits us very well indeed.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 21, 2010, 1:53:27 PM2/21/10
20100221 wrote:
> You will be surprised to learn that HP and DELL DON'T sell white boxes
> with no operating system.
<snipped>

Dell does sell systems with no operating system installed.

20100222

Feb 21, 2010, 2:48:01 PM2/21/10
You're a clueless putz with no social nor mental skills. You know nothing,
especially concerning MVPs slime mouth.
Now go create another user name for tomorrow as I'll be using date names
from now on, numbnutz.

hth !

Peter Foldes

Feb 21, 2010, 3:17:30 PM2/21/10
Gordon

He is not new at all but keeps he changing his name. He is usually deleted off the
server and that is the reason why . He is a Troll and has a very vile tongue

--
Peter

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 3:45:22 PM2/21/10
Hey Dude,

you used a Comcast IP address: 69.181.247.106 and this can't be that guy
you love to hate based in United Kingdom. He is a decendent of your colonial
masters. Remember that?

hth

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

OrgName: Comcast Cable Communications Holdings, Inc
OrgID: CCCH-3
Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
City: Mt Laurel
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 08054
Country: US

NetRange: 69.180.0.0 - 69.181.255.255
CIDR: 69.180.0.0/15
NetName: CCCH3-33
NetHandle: NET-69-180-0-0-1
Parent: NET-69-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: DNS101.COMCAST.NET
NameServer: DNS102.COMCAST.NET
NameServer: DNS103.COMCAST.NET
NameServer: DNS104.COMCAST.NET
NameServer: DNS105.COMCAST.NET
Comment:
RegDate: 2004-02-18
Updated: 2010-02-01

OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Network Abuse and Policy Observance
OrgAbusePhone: +1-856-317-7272
OrgAbuseEmail: ab...@comcast.net

OrgTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
OrgTechName: Comcast Cable Communications Inc
OrgTechPhone: +1-856-317-7200
OrgTechEmail: CNIPEO-Ip-r...@cable.comcast.com
CustName: Comcast Cable Communications Holdings, Inc
Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
City: Mt Laurel
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 08054
Country: US
RegDate: 2006-04-20
Updated: 2006-04-20

NetRange: 69.181.0.0 - 69.181.255.255
CIDR: 69.181.0.0/16
NetName: SFBA-20
NetHandle: NET-69-181-0-0-1
Parent: NET-69-180-0-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2006-04-20
Updated: 2006-04-20

OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Network Abuse and Policy Observance
OrgAbusePhone: +1-856-317-7272
OrgAbuseEmail: ab...@comcast.net

OrgTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
OrgTechName: Comcast Cable Communications Inc
OrgTechPhone: +1-856-317-7200
OrgTechEmail: CNIPEO-Ip-r...@cable.comcast.com

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 4:01:20 PM2/21/10

Peter Foldes wrote:

> He is not new at all but keeps he changing his name. He is usually deleted off the
> server and that is the reason why . He is a Troll and has a very vile tongue

I'll deal with you and your sister later. She has been not behaving
properly lately especially when I am paying a huge sum for her body!!

Can I use your wife instead? Is she any good?

Leythos

Feb 21, 2010, 4:51:02 PM2/21/10
In article <#5vLwXxs...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, 20100221
@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Ignore what others have said. I have successfully installed DELL branded OS
> on a self built computer and it installed and also activated it online.

What a person CAN do and what is legit are often two different things.

Pirating software, as you describe above, is unethical and dishonest,
something that selfish and immature types do and advocate.

Dell branded OS's are OEM licensed for installation ONLY on the system
the media was provided with. If you are installing it on a NON-DELL
computer then you're clearly violating the licensing agreement and an
unethical person.

Trust yourself.
spam9...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Leythos

Feb 21, 2010, 4:52:33 PM2/21/10
In article <uvb4Huxs...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, 20100221
@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Second: I am not spouting any ignorant rubbish. all my writings have been
> through experience and practical demonstration on my some 1000 PCs at my
> university.

And yet your experience and postings show that you are not following the
licensing requirements and are a very unethical person.

Leythos

Feb 21, 2010, 4:53:35 PM2/21/10
In article <usRAz7xs...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, 20100221
@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> "Gordon" <gordon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Yeah right. And your "university" buys pre-installed windows? I think NOT.
>
> You will be surprised to learn that HP and DELL DON'T sell white boxes with
> no operating system. All our boxes have serial numbers affixed on them.

You're wrong, you can purchase Dell computers as well as Dell servers
without any OS included, do it all the time for customers that already
have Volume Licenses.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 5:09:18 PM2/21/10

Leythos wrote:

> What a person CAN do and what is legit are often two different things.

I am completely in agreement with you on this.

> Pirating software, as you describe above, is unethical and dishonest,
> something that selfish and immature types do and advocate.

Who decides what is pirating? Is it not the courts? Unethical and
dishonest by which religion and by whose standards are you talking
about? The other day I went to the zoo and a little monkey came and
took bananas from my hand. Do you consider this to be unethical?

> Dell branded OS's are OEM licensed for installation ONLY on the system
> the media was provided with. If you are installing it on a NON-DELL
> computer then you're clearly violating the licensing agreement and an
> unethical person.

Again who decides what is ethical and what is not. M$ was recently
found at court of law to have violated Canadian company's copyright of
XML features in its flagship product - WORD. Is this considered
unethical? That company nearly went burst until this court case. M$
has been asked to pull out from Word product unless it removes XML
features from it. They (M$) have appealed on the grounds that Customers
won't have any products to use and surprisingly the judge agreed. We
shall see what happens.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 5:12:48 PM2/21/10

Leythos wrote:

> And yet your experience and postings show that you are not following the
> licensing requirements and are a very unethical person.

Please provide an objective reference that defines who is an "unethical
person or stop using this term here. We are not religious bigots to
take us back to 17th century.!

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 5:14:51 PM2/21/10

Leythos wrote:

> You're wrong, you can purchase Dell computers as well as Dell servers
> without any OS included, do it all the time for customers that already
> have Volume Licenses.

You may be doing it in your country but in UK (United Kingdom) this is a
complete NO NO as far as DELL-UK and HP-UK are concerned.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 5:49:04 PM2/21/10

20100221 wrote:

> Again who decides what is ethical and what is not. M$ was recently
> found at court of law to have violated Canadian company's copyright of
> XML features in its flagship product - WORD. Is this considered
> unethical? That company nearly went burst until this court case. M$
> has been asked to pull out from Word product unless it removes XML
> features from it. They (M$) have appealed on the grounds that Customers
> won't have any products to use and surprisingly the judge agreed. We
> shall see what happens.

Reference for the above, if at all one is needed, is here:

<http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176223.asp>

hth

Shenan Stanley

Feb 21, 2010, 6:01:51 PM2/21/10
20100221 wrote:
> You may be doing it in your country but in UK (United Kingdom) this
> is a complete NO NO as far as DELL-UK and HP-UK are concerned.

Could choose Linux/FreeDOS though.

May not be 'no os', but it allows you to choose what you want and not pay
for the WIndows OS if you don't want o.

Unknown

Feb 21, 2010, 6:00:16 PM2/21/10
ANONYMOUS, that is a typical response from someone with a vile tongue.
We in the U.S. thought the UK had outstanding colleges such as Eton.
I guess we were misled. Who are you tring to impress?

"20100221" <2010...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Unknown

Feb 21, 2010, 6:05:08 PM2/21/10
Yes ANONYMOUS changed to numbers.
The number changes each day. The numbers are Year (2010) Month (02) Day
(21)---for today
They may have taught him that in college.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 6:19:44 PM2/21/10

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> Could choose Linux/FreeDOS though.
>
> May not be 'no os', but it allows you to choose what you want and not pay
> for the WIndows OS if you don't want o.

You don't understand dude. We have no objection to pay over the odds
because our funds don't have to be earned.

I wasn't complaining about paying either.

Grow up baby!!!

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 6:21:11 PM2/21/10

Unknown wrote:

> Yes ANONYMOUS changed to numbers.
> The number changes each day. The numbers are Year (2010) Month (02) Day
> (21)---for today
> They may have taught him that in college.

Now how did an idiot like you work this out? Math must be getting
simpler by the day!!

Shenan Stanley

Feb 21, 2010, 6:36:50 PM2/21/10

20100221 wrote:
> You don't understand dude. We have no objection to pay over the
> odds because our funds don't have to be earned.
>
> I wasn't complaining about paying either.
>
> Grow up baby!!!

I have no clue what slang you are trying to convey.

I didn't say you minded paying - I was telling you what you could do about
the OS.

You said, "You will be surprised to learn that HP and DELL

DON'T sell white boxes with no operating system. All our
boxes have serial numbers affixed on them. "

And since you gave no reference at that point to who "our" was, you were
incorrect to the world at large.

20100221

Feb 21, 2010, 6:49:55 PM2/21/10

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> And since you gave no reference at that point to who "our" was, you were
> incorrect to the world at large.

"our" refers to University. We buy all our hardware and software thru
the Senate of the University of London. I thought this was implied in
the sentence.

The Senate manages to get finance and sponsorships from large
corporations of which Microsoft is one, DELL and HP are others. Camelot
helps us with refurbishing and furniture for the labs. That is why I
was saying we don't have to earn to buy state of the art technology.
Paying is not a problem for us. Also, the question of Piracy, Moral and
whether one is ethical or not also does not come into the equation.
Leythos was wrong when he brought this here without knowing the full
facts.

OK time to close up for today!! Nearly midnight here in London, UK.

Leythos

Feb 21, 2010, 7:03:14 PM2/21/10
In article <4B81AF0E...@discussions.microsoft.com>, 20100221
@discussions.microsoft.com says...

It appears all you have is your attempt to diver attention from your
piracy as defined by the licensing agreement, but it's not going to
work.

Piracy is unethical.

Leythos

Feb 21, 2010, 7:03:55 PM2/21/10
In article <4B81AFE0...@discussions.microsoft.com>, 20100221
@discussions.microsoft.com says...

Your comments indicate your lack of ethics, look up the definition if
you don't understand the meaning.

Leythos

Feb 21, 2010, 7:04:26 PM2/21/10
In article <4B81B05B...@discussions.microsoft.com>, 20100221
@discussions.microsoft.com says...

Then you should have conditioned your statement to indicate that.

Ken Blake, MVP

Feb 21, 2010, 9:22:51 PM2/21/10
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:17:30 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Gordon
>
> He is not new at all but keeps he changing his name. He is usually deleted off the
> server and that is the reason why . He is a Troll and has a very vile tongue

Anybody who keeps changing his name does it avoid people's killfiles.
By definition, that makes him a troll.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Daave

Feb 21, 2010, 11:34:43 PM2/21/10
Leythos wrote:
> In article <#5vLwXxs...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, 20100221
> @discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> Ignore what others have said. I have successfully installed DELL
>> branded OS on a self built computer and it installed and also
>> activated it online.
>>

> What a person CAN do and what is legit are often two different things.
>
> Pirating software, as you describe above, is unethical and dishonest,
> something that selfish and immature types do and advocate.
>
> Dell branded OS's are OEM licensed for installation ONLY on the system
> the media was provided with. If you are installing it on a NON-DELL
> computer then you're clearly violating the licensing agreement and an
> unethical person.

Anonymous Numbers Man didn't state whether or not he had a license to
run Windows, and my intention is not to defend him.

However, if I have a PC that someone built for me along with a generic
OEM XP Home installation CD and accompanying Product Key, I clearly have
a license to run XP on my rig. If my CD proves to be too damaged to work
and I have access to Dell-branded OEM XP Home installation CD (let's say
I have a Dell upstairs), it could very well work on my non-Dell PC. As
others have described their experiences, since I am installing it on a
non-Dell motherboard, of course, System-Locked Preinstallation (SLP)
cannot and will not occur. As a result, I am then given the opportunity
to enter my legit Product Key (remember: I do have a license to run XP
Home on this PC!), it works, and I later activate. I see nothing at all
unethical about this. The matter is the license, not the method of
installation.

Of course, if it were possible to use Dell's non-transferrable license
and golden master key (the one from the Dell CD) on a PC that is not
licensed to run XP (let's say that the custom-built PC came with Linux),
then you are correct; *that* certainly would be unethical! But because
of the SLP technology, I do not believe this is possible to do with a
non-Dell motherboard anyway. But if it is possible, it certainly would
be unethical.

Feb 22, 2010, 7:03:04 AM2/22/10
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:17:30 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Gordon
>>
>> He is not new at all but keeps he changing his name. He is usually deleted off the
>> server and that is the reason why . He is a Troll and has a very vile tongue
>

> Anybody who keeps changing his name does it avoid people's killfiles.
> By definition, that makes him a troll.

Either that or he or she has an identity crisis.

Feb 22, 2010, 7:08:57 AM2/22/10
Leythos wrote:

> Piracy is unethical.

"Unethical" is a subjective judgment, usually based on some religion; in
your case, probably Christianity. In Gypsy societies, for example, not
only is stealing ethical, it's taught to their children and considered a
good way to make a living. So, at the end of the day, all you can say is
that you think your god would disapprove and you would go to Hell after
you die if you don't follow the ethics of your religion. This does not,
however, give you the right to push your ethics on others, although
Christianity doesn't have a strong record of not doing such.

Leythos

Feb 22, 2010, 4:15:13 PM2/22/10
In article <hlts4p$tmh$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, c...@nospamers.com.invalid
says...

> Leythos wrote:
>
> > Piracy is unethical.
>
> "Unethical" is a subjective judgment

And yet you clearly understand my statement and position on your piracy.

Feb 22, 2010, 7:09:55 PM2/22/10
Leythos wrote:
> In article <hlts4p$tmh$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, c...@nospamers.com.invalid
> says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>>
>>> Piracy is unethical.
>> "Unethical" is a subjective judgment
>>

> And yet you clearly understand my statement and position on your piracy.

What piracy? And why did you snip the rest of my post? Inconvenient
truth for you or what?

Daave

Feb 22, 2010, 7:53:37 PM2/22/10

C wrote:
> Leythos wrote:
>
>> Piracy is unethical.
>
> "Unethical" is a subjective judgment, usually based on some religion;

Almost everything is subjective. However, consensus (like with most
climatologists' acceptance of the phenomenon of anthropomorphic climate
change) can be measured and expressed objectively.

Also, religion is certainly not necessary for ethics. Many ethics (and
ethicists for that matter) are agnostic or atheist.

In the dominant culture, there is a consensus on what is and isn't
ethical (not 100% agreement, but a definite consensus, nonetheless). I
would say it is safe to say that the pirating of software or DVDs is not
considered by most to be ethical behavior.

> in your case, probably Christianity. In Gypsy societies, for example,
> not only is stealing ethical, it's taught to their children and
> considered a good way to make a living.

I am not an expert on "Gypsy societies," so I have no comment on the
veracity of that. However, stealing is considered unethical in the
larger, dominant society that most of the participants in this newsgroup
are a part of.

> So, at the end of the day,
> all you can say is that you think your god would disapprove and you
> would go to Hell after you die if you don't follow the ethics of your
> religion.

God has very little, if anything at all, to do with ethics, IMO. You can
easily argue that ethics as well as other societal features have
developed as a result of evolution. For an enlightening perspective, I
refer you to B.F. Skinner's Beyond Freedom and Dignity.

> This does not, however, give you the right to push your
> ethics on others, although Christianity doesn't have a strong record
> of not doing such.

I am no apologist for Chrisitianity, so again I have no comment one way
or the other. Although you may disagree with Leythos's statement, he has
every right to express it, just as you do to dispute it.

yb52okj

Feb 22, 2010, 9:13:00 PM2/22/10

"Leythos" <spam9...@rrohio.com> wrote in message

> And yet you clearly understand my statement and position on your piracy.

What exactly does piracy mean? Is the act of violating somebody's patent
piracy?

It seems nobody knows what this term actually mean.

Leythos

Feb 23, 2010, 6:57:34 AM2/23/10
In article <eRkL82Ct...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
yb5...@discussions.microsoft.com says...

It's clear from your trolling that you know exactly what is meant by
Piracy in this context.

Feb 23, 2010, 7:39:26 AM2/23/10
Daave wrote:
> C wrote:
>> Leythos wrote:
>>
>>> Piracy is unethical.
>> "Unethical" is a subjective judgment, usually based on some religion;
>
> Almost everything is subjective.

You missed the "judgment" part.

> However, consensus (like with most
> climatologists' acceptance of the phenomenon of anthropomorphic climate
> change) can be measured and expressed objectively.

You mean like the consensus the US Senate almost never reaches?

> Also, religion is certainly not necessary for ethics. Many ethics (and
> ethicists for that matter) are agnostic or atheist.

I would venture to say that the ethics of an agnostic or atheist
originated in religion of some sort.

> In the dominant culture, there is a consensus on what is and isn't
> ethical (not 100% agreement, but a definite consensus, nonetheless). I
> would say it is safe to say that the pirating of software or DVDs is not
> considered by most to be ethical behavior.

If the downloading of music, software and videos could be banned, most
ISPs would go out of business. So, in the Internet Culture, you're
wrong. To which culture are you referring to as "dominant"?

>> in your case, probably Christianity. In Gypsy societies, for example,
>> not only is stealing ethical, it's taught to their children and
>> considered a good way to make a living.
>
> I am not an expert on "Gypsy societies," so I have no comment on the
> veracity of that.

It's true.

> However, stealing is considered unethical in the
> larger, dominant society that most of the participants in this newsgroup
> are a part of.

In a lot of countries (including some in Western Europe), downloading
music, videos and software is not illegal if they are not to be used for
profit. It's only in the US culture that grandmas and teenagers are
fined hundreds of thousands of dollars per downloaded song. Do you think
that's ethical!?

>> So, at the end of the day,
>> all you can say is that you think your god would disapprove and you
>> would go to Hell after you die if you don't follow the ethics of your
>> religion.
>
> God has very little, if anything at all, to do with ethics, IMO.

God doesn't exist but for Christians, he has everything to do with ti.

> You can
> easily argue that ethics as well as other societal features have
> developed as a result of evolution. For an enlightening perspective, I
> refer you to B.F. Skinner's Beyond Freedom and Dignity.

I used to date his daughter. She turned me on to grass when it was a
felony to possess. Her dad smoked it too. So much for consensual,
dominant culture ethics.

>> This does not, however, give you the right to push your
>> ethics on others, although Christianity doesn't have a strong record
>> of not doing such.
>
> I am no apologist for Chrisitianity, so again I have no comment one way
> or the other. Although you may disagree with Leythos's statement, he has
> every right to express it, just as you do to dispute it.

Of course he does and I have a right to tell him to keep his moralizing
to himself.

Feb 23, 2010, 7:40:19 AM2/23/10
Leythos wrote:
> In article <eRkL82Ct...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
> yb5...@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> "Leythos" <spam9...@rrohio.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> And yet you clearly understand my statement and position on your piracy.
>> What exactly does piracy mean? Is the act of violating somebody's patent
>> piracy?
>>
>> It seems nobody knows what this term actually mean.
>
> It's clear from your trolling that you know exactly what is meant by
> Piracy in this context.

You accused me of piracy out of the blue and now won't explain. Where is
your proof?

Unknown

Feb 23, 2010, 10:24:03 AM2/23/10

That's just ANONYMOUS or 20100221 spouting off again.

"Leythos" <spam9...@rrohio.com> wrote in message

Leythos

Feb 23, 2010, 6:29:15 PM2/23/10
In article <hm0ibi$c5p$2...@speranza.aioe.org>, c...@nospamers.com.invalid
says...

If you follow the thread you would understand what I said and why,
troll.

Twayne

Feb 23, 2010, 8:56:20 PM2/23/10
Hey Imposter of Leythos,
Go crawl back under your rock! OK PCBUTTS?

In news:MPG.25ee2ed74...@us.news.astraweb.com,
Leythos <spam9...@rrohio.com> typed:

> In article <hm0ibi$c5p$2...@speranza.aioe.org>, c...@nospamers.com.invalid
> says...
>>
>> Leythos wrote:
>>> In article <eRkL82Ct...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
>>> yb5...@discussions.microsoft.com says...

>>> It's clear from your trolling that you know exactly what is meant by
>>> Piracy in this context.
>>>

>> You accused me of piracy out of the blue and now won't explain.
>> Where is your proof?
>
> If you follow the thread you would understand what I said and why,
> troll.

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.