Startup Order.

Dave

Jan 29, 2007, 9:44:00 AM1/29/07
Hi all,

I running XP Media Center 2005. I would like to know if it is possible to
change to order of programs that run at startup. For example, I run Outlook
2003, McAfee Security Center & my cable login, amongst other things, at
startup. I would like to be able to have McAfee start first, the cable
connection next, then finally Outlook 2003. The reason for this is that if
Outlook starts before the cable logs in, I get an error about not being able
to send/recieve mail, as it can't get an Internet connection.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

usasma

Jan 29, 2007, 10:09:00 AM1/29/07
There are ways to do this - but it's not a simple procedure. It'll also take
some experimentation. Here's a link about Device Driver order:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;115486

Next, create a bootlog of a normal and a Safe Mode boot to see how the
devices and programs are loading. Compare this to the different areas that
load services and startups on your system (here's a nice free tool for this:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml )

- John

Poprivet

Jan 29, 2007, 1:01:03 PM1/29/07

Yes, and it looks, offhand, like the previous poster gave you good info.
But what most people overlook:

The order programs START in is NOT the order the finish running in, due to
size, timing and a lot of other factors. So, it may take some
experimentation to get whatever results you want.

IMO it's not worth the trouble but ymmv of course.

Pop`

Wesley Vogel

Jan 29, 2007, 1:42:31 PM1/29/07
Execution Order for starting programs

With Windows XP, There are 13+ places that programs can start from and
they are executed in the following order:

Before Logon
1)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

After Logon
3)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
5) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
6) WIN.INI [Windows] Load
7) WIN.INI [Windows] Run
8) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
9) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
10) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
or %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
11) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
or %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
12) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
13) As a Scheduled Task set to run at startup.

[[Startups in groups 6 to 11 all run at the same time (more or less).
However, the groups themselves are triggered in the order shown above. In
other words, the next group can begin launching while the previous group is
still loading its startups. Due to timing issues it is impossible to say
what order these items will finish loading, thus it is impossible to
predict the exact order of execution for individual startups. For instance,
you may notice two or more system tray icons changing position with each
boot - even when no changes have been made to the order.]]

[[The order of items within a group is not necessarily the final order, as
some programs take longer than others to load, and synchronous groups can
overlap each other.]]

Items in 10 and 11 execute alphanumerically. You can change the order in 10
and 11 by moving the items from 11 to 10. Also, you can rename the
shortcuts in 10 and/or 11.

For example; dfg.exe, fgh.exe and ghj.exe would start in that order. To
change the order rename the shortcuts to 1ghj.exe, 2dfg.exe and 3fgh.exe.
They would then start in that order.

Some items are a race every time as to which actually starts first, no
matter what you do.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:QKnvh.292$sd2...@news-server.bigpond.net.au,
Dave <dba...@nospam.bigpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:

Ken Blake, MVP

Jan 29, 2007, 2:35:17 PM1/29/07
Dave wrote:

Yes, it's very easy to do. Instead of starting each of those three programs
individually (from the startup folder or wherever), load all three of them,
in the order you want, from a batch file. If you need one to finish loading
before the other starts, load using the start parameter with the /wait
switch (for more info on Start, go to a CMD window and type start /?).

You can then create a shortcut to the batch file and put it in the Startup
folder.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Rock

Jan 29, 2007, 5:34:41 PM1/29/07
"Wesley Vogel" wrote

> Dave hunted and pecked:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I running XP Media Center 2005. I would like to know if it is possible to
>> change to order of programs that run at startup. For example, I run
>> Outlook 2003, McAfee Security Center & my cable login, amongst other
>> things, at startup. I would like to be able to have McAfee start first,
>> the cable connection next, then finally Outlook 2003. The reason for this
>> is that if Outlook starts before the cable logs in, I get an error about
>> not being able to send/recieve mail, as it can't get an Internet
>> connection.

Nice post Wes.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Wesley Vogel

Jan 29, 2007, 6:26:01 PM1/29/07
Thank you, Rock.

That wasn't the foist time.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Execution+Order+for+starting+programs%22+author%3Awesley+author%3Avogel&start=0&scoring=d&num=10&hl=en&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=29&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2007&safe=off&

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User