"My Documents" folder uses Music type customization

Pete

Feb 4, 2002, 11:19:52 AM2/4/02
Hello,

For some reason my "My Documents" folder thinks it is a "Music" type folder.
It shows the musical note in the bottom right and the music context items in
the left pane. There is no "Customize this folder" option while you are in
My Documents so I can't find a way to turn it back into a regular folder. If
anyone knows a way to fix this, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Pete
pe...@oandp.com

Kent W. England [MVP]

Feb 4, 2002, 12:00:13 PM2/4/02
I suspect the desktop.ini file inside "My Documents" has incorrect
contents. It should look something like:

[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=<user>
Personalized=5
PersonalizedName=My Documents

This is a hidden file. Replace <user> with the "xxx" value in
C:\Documents and Settings\xxx that corresponds with the logon name.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

"Pete" <pe...@oandp.com> wrote in message

Kostas

Feb 4, 2002, 8:02:25 PM2/4/02
I have the exact same problem. How can I find the hidden file desktop.ini
inside my Documents?

"Kent W. England [MVP]" <k...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Kostas

Feb 4, 2002, 8:05:57 PM2/4/02
I have the exact same problem. How can I find/see the hidden file

Richard O. Brooks

Feb 4, 2002, 8:38:30 PM2/4/02
Inside Control Panel, Folder Options|View has a "show hidden files" box that
you can tick.

"Kostas" <dent...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kent W. England [MVP]

Feb 5, 2002, 12:08:48 AM2/5/02
Either type the entire path in the address bar or use Folder Options to
show hidden files from the View tab.

This problem happens when you copy over a folder and don't see or notice
the desktop.ini file in it.

--
Kent

"Kostas" <dent...@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:OYJR$CerBHA.2520@tkmsftngp04...

Kostas

Feb 5, 2002, 3:26:23 AM2/5/02
Thanks. I found the file and although I changed it to look as you described
(the original was:[.ShellClassInfo]
FolderType=MusicArtist
MusicBuyUrl=p_id=P%20%20%20%20%205312&a_id=R%20%20%20513205&name=Roxette),
the problem is still there. When I use other accounts, My Documents appear
as it should and the desktop.ini has the correct information. Any ideas?

"Kent W. England [MVP]" <k...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Kent W. England [MVP]

Feb 5, 2002, 12:01:21 PM2/5/02
If your "My Documents" folder properties has a customize tab, you can
change the folder type to be documents or mixed content instead of music
files.

But in Home Edition, at least, I can't get a customize tab on My
Documents properties. What must have happened was you moved the My
Documents target to a folder that was already customized as a music
folder. If XP Pro has a customize tab you can try that, or else move the
My Documents target away from the folder, customize it, and then move
the My Documents target back to the folder.

If you simply added my recommended content to the desktop.ini, you could
also try replacing the content to remove the music customization.

Oh, you have to close Windows Explorer and reopen it to see the changes.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

"Kostas" <dent...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kostas

Feb 6, 2002, 3:34:00 AM2/6/02
I don't have a customize tab for My Documents folder. I tried to change the
My Documents target to a different folder but even the new folder has a
Music type customization! And of course when I change the target (after
customizing the original My Documents folder) back to it's original location
the problem is still there! The desktop.ini seems to have been changed to
look exactly as you said though. Anyway, during this procedures, a shortcut
to My Documents (labeled Kosta's Documents) now appears in the "Files Stored
On This Computer" group under My Computer (if you click on it, it has the
right customization!). How can I remove this shortcut?

"Kent W. England [MVP]" <k...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Kent W. England [MVP]

Feb 6, 2002, 11:28:12 AM2/6/02
Seems like something else is causing your My Documents to look like
Music folders. Yours is the only case I've heard about. I later checked
on Pro and it has no customize tab. Doug Knox pointed out elsewhere that
the Help and Support Center states that My Documents, My Pictures, and
My Music folders cannot be customized. TweakUI has a repair icon feature
for My Pictures, My Music, and My Videos but no repair for My Documents.

TweakUI has a switch to stop displaying that "Files Stored on this
Computer" display.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

"Kostas" <dent...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kostas

Feb 6, 2002, 4:02:16 PM2/6/02
Thank you very much for your help. I managed to solve the problem after all.
All I had to do, was to select Tools->Folder Options->View Tab and hit the
Reset All Folders button. I suspect that this worked because I changed the
desktop.ini file to look just like you described because I had tried this
before but to no effect. Again, thank you very much for your help.
Best regards
Kostas

"Kent W. England [MVP]" <k...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Kent W. England [MVP]

Feb 7, 2002, 11:15:50 AM2/7/02
Ah, I misunderstood what you meant when you said your My Documents was a
music folder. Sorry to run you around the bush like that.

Isn't it funny that Windows remembers what you wish it would forget
(folder custom views) and forgets what you deeply desire it to remember
(eg, maximized windows)

--

in message news:#zBIRG1rBHA.1924@tkmsftngp05...