Re: Direct X 9

RonK

Jan 2, 2006, 7:53:17 AM1/2/06
You don;t need to install DX9 with the game. It already is part of XP.

"upstage" <ups...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tried to install Callof Duty 2 but the Direct 9 wont install. A message
> comes
> up which says A cabinet cannot be trusted and the INstallation fails
> Any ideas greatfully received
> --
> mt

Paul Smith

Jan 2, 2006, 8:18:04 AM1/2/06
"upstage" <ups...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tried to install Callof Duty 2 but the Direct 9 wont install. A message
> comes
> up which says A cabinet cannot be trusted and the INstallation fails
> Any ideas greatfully received

Cryptographic Services may be disabled, try this out.

To get cryptographic services back up and running, firstly make sure you're
logged on as an administrator.
Go to Start
-> Control Panel
-->Admin Tools
---> Services
----> Scroll down until you find Cryptographic Services, double click it and
set the start up type to automatic and start the service.

You should also visit Windows Update and grab SP2 from there (I'm assuming
you don't already have it from CoD trying to install DX), which includes
DirectX 9.0 and a whole heap of other updates.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

upstage

Jan 2, 2006, 9:22:05 AM1/2/06
Ta for that
But the game wont run and when i check my Direct X settings it says i`ve
only got Direct X 8.1
--
mt

upstage

Jan 2, 2006, 9:26:02 AM1/2/06
Ta
Tried that Cryptographic Services are running
I tried SP2 last year (2004) and it crashed my machine so i`ve steered clear
of it since my machine says i`m only running Direct X 8.1 at the moment with
some errors on the drivers but how can i reinstall DX8!!!
--
mt

Jimmy S.

Jan 2, 2006, 10:25:33 AM1/2/06
Hi upstage,

Here are a few solutions for the DirectX 9 "Logo Testing" error,
as well as other errors when trying to install patches or updates:

Here's a quick solution to try before reading through the other steps:
1.. Start the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.
2.. Double-click Services.
3.. Right-click Cryptographic Services, and then click Properties.
4.. Click Automatic for Startup type, and then click Start.

If that doesn't work, then grab a soda and get ready for some fun. ;-)

1. Try the resolutions in this recently released MS article:

2. Save and then Open the "DX9 Logo Error" patch on Line 189
for WinXP at: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

3. Repairing Windows is our final option. Boot from your Windows
CD (you may have to press F12 while starting up, or change the
bootup order in your BIOS) and then follow the instructions at:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm Good luck! :-)

--
Cheers, *Windows_XP_MVP_Shell/User*

upstage Wrote:
=================

Jimmy S.

Jan 2, 2006, 10:26:48 AM1/2/06
Hi upstage,

Sorry, I meant to post this link for you to update DirectX.
You *should* install DirectX 9.0 for those games to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

--

upstage Wrote:
=================

| Ta
| Tried that Cryptographic Services are running
| I tried SP2 last year (2004) and it crashed my machine so i`ve steered clear
| of it since my machine says i`m only running Direct X 8.1 at the moment with
| some errors on the drivers but how can i reinstall DX8!!!

upstage

Jan 4, 2006, 7:19:03 AM1/4/06
Hi
Have downloaded the latest DirectX 9 from Microsoft web site
But i still cant install it the message appears on screen
A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted please verify
the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is
valid.
Cryptographic Services definately r so i assume its the cabinet file
certificate but i'm at a lost as to what to do next
Thanking u in anticipation
--
mt

Jimmy S.

Jan 4, 2006, 7:36:25 AM1/4/06
Hi upstage,

Have you tried the other steps suggested in my post? :-)

upstage Wrote:
=================

| Hi
| Have downloaded the latest DirectX 9 from Microsoft web site
| But i still cant install it the message appears on screen
| A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted please verify
| the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is
| valid.
| Cryptographic Services definately r so i assume its the cabinet file
| certificate but i'm at a lost as to what to do next
| Thanking u in anticipation

upstage

Jan 4, 2006, 11:58:05 AM1/4/06
HI
Thanks for ur patience have tried the certificate thingy thats OK but
Um it gets worse
When i type cmd in the run box I get the following error message
c:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.com
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The systemfile is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the
application.
Same thing applies if i type regedit as well
Regards Mike

--
mt

Jimmy S.

Jan 4, 2006, 12:07:25 PM1/4/06
Hi upstage,

Here's an easy method to solve that error:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--

upstage Wrote:
=================

| HI
| Thanks for ur patience have tried the certificate thingy thats OK but
| Um it gets worse
| When i type cmd in the run box I get the following error message
| c:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.com
| c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The systemfile is not suitable for running
| MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the
| application.
| Same thing applies if i type regedit as well
| Regards Mike

upstage

Jan 4, 2006, 6:27:02 PM1/4/06
HI
Things just get worse well now i`ve reinstalled the missing files (i think)
i now get another error when i run cmd which goes like this
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0f47 IP:fffd OP:0f 00 00 00 00
Arghh!!!
regedit does the same
--
mt

Jimmy S.

Jan 4, 2006, 6:51:15 PM1/4/06
Hi upstage,

You could have been infected by Spyware or a Virus which has added
regedit.com (not regedit.exe) to your computer as well as other malware.

Run an Antivirus scan, an Antispyware scan and then take a look at:
http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/218436/page/vc/vc/1

--

upstage Wrote:
=================
| HI

| Things just get worse well now i`ve reinstalled the missing files (i think)
| i now get another error when i run cmd which goes like this
| The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
| CS:0f47 IP:fffd OP:0f 00 00 00 00
| Arghh!!!
| regedit does the same

Yves Leclerc

Jan 19, 2006, 12:24:14 PM1/19/06
On 02/01/2006 "upstage" <ups...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Ta for that
>But the game wont run and when i check my Direct X settings it says i`ve
>only got Direct X 8.1

If you install SP2, you get DirectX 9.0c.

Also, try to update to the latest video card drivers for your video card.

--
---

Y.