How do I set my own Wallpaper as Default?

Defcon31

Nov 14, 2003, 3:42:07 PM11/14/03
Hello,
I have to configure the system that after the FBA the system starts with
our own wallpaper.
How and Where can I fix that ?
Thanks in advance!

KM

Nov 14, 2003, 3:53:59 PM11/14/03
Defcon31,

Try adding [HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper],"yourWallpaperFile.bmp"
registry value to the user you will see after logon.
Or use [HKUS\.DEFAULT\Control
Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper],"yourWallpaperFile.bmp" registry to specify the
wallpaper for all the users (default user) in your system.

Hope this helps.
KM,
BSquare Corp.

D> Hello,
D> I have to configure the system that after the FBA the system starts
D> with our own wallpaper.
D> How and Where can I fix that ?
D> Thanks in advance!

Defcon31

Nov 14, 2003, 4:03:14 PM11/14/03
that's exaclty what i did...
but i'm new to xpe, and maybe the way how i did it was wrong.
what i did:

i created a new component in component designer
with the registry HKCU\etc (like you described), and i added the file in a
repository..

or is there another way to change registry settings instead of creating a
new component for it?

thanks in advance

"KM" <kons...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

Slobodan Brcin

Nov 14, 2003, 4:14:56 PM11/14/03
> or is there another way to change registry settings instead of creating a
> new component for it?

You can enter registry value directly from target designer.

Regards,
Slobodan

"Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Defcon31

Nov 14, 2003, 4:19:06 PM11/14/03
how do i do that for setting a wallpaper or by which component ?
thanks

"Slobodan Brcin" <sbr...@ptt.yu> wrote in message

Defcon31

Nov 14, 2003, 4:39:30 PM11/14/03
Like slobodan said,
i can alter the registry setting for my default wallpaper in Target
designer;
is this true?
in which component am i supposed to find the registry keys for default
wallpaper?
thanks

"Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

KM

Nov 14, 2003, 4:44:41 PM11/14/03
Defcon31,

You issue is that the settings get overwritten by a system component during
build (don't remember which one, though). If you create your own component,
please look to the build order (make it depend on User Interface Core or
anything that will be built latest).
The registry settings may also be overwritten by some component(s) during
FBA process. Then you may want to install an appropriate reg file with the
settings after FBA is finished.

As Slobodan pointed out, you may use Extra Files and Extra Registry Data
features of TD (turn on View-->Resource option in TD) but it might not be
appropriate for you since you can't change the build order this way.

KM,
Bsquare Corp.

D> how do i do that for setting a wallpaper or by which component ?
D> thanks

D> "Slobodan Brcin" <sbr...@ptt.yu> wrote in message

>>> or is there another way to change registry settings instead of
>>> creating

>>> new component for it?

>> You can enter registry value directly from target designer.

>> Regards,
>> Slobodan

>> "Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> that's exaclty what i did...
>>> but i'm new to xpe, and maybe the way how i did it was wrong.
>>> what i did:

>>> i created a new component in component designer with the registry
>>> HKCU\etc (like you described), and i added the file in

>>> repository..

>>> or is there another way to change registry settings instead of
>>> creating

>>> new component for it?

>>> thanks in advance

>>> "KM" <kons...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper],"yourWallpaperFile.bmp"

D> the

D> starts

With best regards, KM. E-mail: kons...@nospam.yahoo.com

KM

Nov 14, 2003, 4:58:09 PM11/14/03

Just found a mention of the system component that brings walpaper registry -
"Win32 API - User". Make your component build depend on that one and see if
it helps.

KM

K> Defcon31,

K> You issue is that the settings get overwritten by a system component
K> during build (don't remember which one, though). If you create your
K> own component, please look to the build order (make it depend on User
K> Interface Core or anything that will be built latest).
K> The registry settings may also be overwritten by some component(s)
K> during
K> FBA process. Then you may want to install an appropriate reg file
K> with the settings after FBA is finished.

K> As Slobodan pointed out, you may use Extra Files and Extra Registry
K> Data features of TD (turn on View-->Resource option in TD) but it
K> might not be appropriate for you since you can't change the build
K> order this way.

K> KM,
K> Bsquare Corp.

Defcon31

Nov 14, 2003, 5:06:36 PM11/14/03
Dear "KM" !!!!
You're fantastico !!!!!
thanks to you i finaly found what I was searching for: all file and registry
details for each component !!!!
(enable View->Resources)...

yeah, i'm new to XPE (2 weeks)...

(creating a new component only for that wallpaper was only a workaround).

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"KM" <kons...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

Defcon31

Nov 15, 2003, 4:27:23 AM11/15/03
by the way KM,
i can now change the registry settings in target designer of that WinAPI32
component for setting my default wallpaper.
but how do I add that wallpaper-file itself to my configuration ?
i see in Target Designer you cannot "add files" at the WinAPI32 component.
so just a last question: how am i supposed to add the file "myWallpaper.bmp"
now ?
thanks in advance

"Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Slobodan Brcin

Nov 15, 2003, 5:17:01 AM11/15/03
From TD central panel you have Extra Files. But it was already said in this
thread.

Regards,
Slobodan

"Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Rob Neff

Nov 18, 2003, 4:46:59 PM11/18/03
Defcon, you can add files to the component you're making, using the
component designer (keep expanding the component view on the left &
eventually you'll see dependent files). So you can put it there, or in the
TD as a whole.

This was an interesting thread since I had a closely related difficulty.

It's well and good to be able to see the files and registers in TD, but I
really, really, REALLY want a way to search thru them! It shouldn't be that
difficult. I found the register settings that overwrote mine in hivedef.inf
(apparently some kind of general system file...I'm kinda new to XPe too),
but couldn't find the component that uses them, and I really didn't want to
go looking manually thru the scores of components in TD. The filter
apparently doesn't let you look for that kind of detail, and Component
Database Mgr is likewise very limited. Are there 3rd party tools?

Rob

KM

Nov 18, 2003, 8:21:12 PM11/18/03
Rob,

To search thru the files in TD (or CDM) you may create a filter based on the
rule "Component contains the following file: <filelist>".
I don't know any good way to search thru component's registry and other
resources (PnP request, etc.). Only way I could find was CMIExplorer - a
wsf script that uses CMI object model to get access to Mantis XPe database.
You will find the CMI Explorer under "Program Files\Windows
Embedded\VALUEADD\MSFT\SUPPORT". There is no documentation available on this
product but you may type "CMIEXP.WSF help" to get a list of basic commands
supported. CMI Explorer is a very useful tool to explore thru the component
resources. For example, what I usually do is dumping a particular component
dependency tree into a text file (dumplevel=1) . Then I search for a
particular resource (registry, file, etc.) in the text file. Sometimes it
helps me figuring out some hidden details of components.

Hope this helps,
KM,
BSquare Corp.

RN> Defcon, you can add files to the component you're making, using the
RN> component designer (keep expanding the component view on the left &
RN> eventually you'll see dependent files). So you can put it there, or
RN> in the
RN> TD as a whole.

RN> This was an interesting thread since I had a closely related
RN> difficulty.

RN> It's well and good to be able to see the files and registers in TD,
RN> but I really, really, REALLY want a way to search thru them! It
RN> shouldn't be that difficult. I found the register settings that
RN> overwrote mine in hivedef.inf (apparently some kind of general
RN> system file...I'm kinda new to XPe too), but couldn't find the
RN> component that uses them, and I really didn't want to go looking
RN> manually thru the scores of components in TD. The filter apparently
RN> doesn't let you look for that kind of detail, and Component
RN> Database Mgr is likewise very limited. Are there 3rd party tools?

RN> Rob

RN> "Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> by the way KM, i can now change the registry settings in target
>> designer of that WinAPI32 component for setting my default wallpaper.
>> but how do I add that wallpaper-file itself to my configuration ?
>> i see in Target Designer you cannot "add files" at the WinAPI32
>> component.
>> so just a last question: how am i supposed to add the file

RN> "myWallpaper.bmp"

>> now ?
>> thanks in advance

>> "Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Dear "KM" !!!!
>>> You're fantastico !!!!!
>>> thanks to you i finaly found what I was searching for: all file and
>> registry
>>> details for each component !!!!
>>> (enable View->Resources)...

>>> yeah, i'm new to XPE (2 weeks)...

>>> (creating a new component only for that wallpaper was only a

RN> workaround).

>>> THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS
>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>> "KM" <kons...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> registry -

RN> see
>>> if

RN> component

RN> your

>> User

RN> Registry

RN> registry

Rob Neff

Nov 19, 2003, 4:17:38 PM11/19/03
This isn't as easy as I thought...first I don't have the VALUEADD
subdirectory in Program Files\Windows Embedded - do you remember if you got
this by special request or something manually installed?

I've learned that there is a "build order" for each file/registry setting
inside a component (with a base value of 1000), this is largely ignored in
the documentation. This can be seen by both Comp. Designer and TD.
Instead, for this purpose and for the documentation, there's the "build
order dependency", seen only in Comp. Designer and applies to the whole
component, relative to another component.

And I've been struggling with adding files - wasn't nearly as simple as I
had thought, but pieced together enough from the MSDN to figure it out -
it's all done in the component designer, and you apparently need a local
repository that gets copied to the main database. Seems like a bit of
duplication to me, but disk drives are cheap nowadays. Hmm, the QFE's got
around this somehow. Anyway, making a build now to test these pieces.

Thanks,
Rob

> >> "Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> by the way KM, i can now change the registry settings in target
> >> designer of that WinAPI32 component for setting my default wallpaper.
> >> but how do I add that wallpaper-file itself to my configuration ?
> >> i see in Target Designer you cannot "add files" at the WinAPI32
> >> component.
> >> so just a last question: how am i supposed to add the file

> >> "myWallpaper.bmp"
> >> now ?
> >> thanks in advance
>

> >> "Defcon31" <stt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> registry

>>> registry -

[rest of wallpaper setting discussion snipped]

KM

Nov 20, 2003, 4:49:48 AM11/20/03
Rob,

That was quite a while ago when I discovered for myself the CMIExplorer.
Please check your XPe CDs. I recall seeing the VALUEADD directory even on
XPe Eval CD.

KM