Dial-Up connection using modem.

bt.newsgroup.com.hk

May 25, 2005, 5:42:42 AM5/25/05
Hello,

I wolud like to make a dial-up connection using a modem in WinXPE, same as
using the "New Connection wizard" as in Win XP. What components should I
need to add to my project in Target Designer?

I already added:
Network->Basic TCP/IP Networking

Network->Infrastructure->Dial-up Client for Windows
User Interface->Shells->Windows Shell->Phone and Modem Control Panel

Thankx a lot.

KM

May 26, 2005, 2:10:51 AM5/26/05
First install the modem driver properly in your Config (componentize or use
a driver from database).

Then start with the component list I mentioned in this thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/msg/d136d198fe5739ae

And Dial-up issues in general:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/search?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded&q=Dial-Up&qt_g=1

KM

co...@itshk.com

May 30, 2005, 3:23:27 AM5/30/05
Thanks,
I followed your suggestion to setup the Dial-up connection. But I got the
following Error message on press the dial button:

"Opening Port...
Error 633: The modem (or other connection device) is already in use or is
not configured property."

I have:
1) Go to the "Phone and Modem Panel->Diagnostics->Query Modem" and it give
positive result.
2) Test the dial-up connection with the modem on another PC installed with
Win XP Pro and it is OK.

Do anyone have idea on this the problem?

"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message

KM

May 30, 2005, 3:50:51 PM5/30/05
Did you include and resolve dependencies for all the components mentined in
the thread from the link?
Did you get Telephony, RAS and RRAS services started and running? If not,
check out FBALog.txt and SetupApi.log files for the installation errors.
Did you get your modem driver installed and functioning properly? You may
want to test it with HyperTerminal (not only Query Modem)?

Check out Event Logs for more info on the errors you see.

Also, see if any of these helps:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/search?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded&q=Error+633&qt_g=1

KM

co...@itshk.com

Jun 1, 2005, 5:32:29 AM6/1/05
Thanks for your help. Lastly, the problem is solved.

Firstly, I forgot to mention that I am using a "USB GPRS modem" in making
the dial-up connection.

And,
1) Telephony / RAS / RRAS are running.
2) Modem is tested with hyperTerminal. Sent the command ATD*99# returns
CONNECT string.
3) No Event Log was found.

It seems that everything is OK, but the problem that caused the problem was:
I found that the "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" in the Device
Manager shows an error.
After I added back this component into to my project in Target Designer, the
dial-up connection functions as normal!

Thanks "KM" for his valuable guidance.

coluk