Accessing IO ports assigned to "Motherboard Resource" System Device

Boby George

Jan 31, 2007, 12:44:48 PM1/31/07
I have a system running XPe. This piece of hardware has few LEDs that is
user configurable, which are mapped to the IO space (0x480-0x4BF). From
the device manager, it looks like these ports are assigned to the
"Motherboard Resource" that is part of the System Devices.

I tried 2 applications/drivers kport from codeproject.com and porttalk
from beyond logic.com. Both of them don't provide the features that I am
looking for.

I was wondering whether there are any components available in XPe to
access IO ports. Or any other known good drivers for this work.

Thanks,

Boby

KM

Jan 31, 2007, 7:12:23 PM1/31/07
Boby,

How about:
- WinIO from http://www.internals.com/
- or -
- DirectIO from http://www.direct-io.com/
- or -
- There used to be DLPortIO on www.xpefiles.com. You may want to check if it is still there.

--
=========
Regards,

Boby George

Feb 1, 2007, 12:24:25 PM2/1/07
Thanks KM. I am going to check them out. I am ready to buy any of these
if they are multi-processor/multi-thread safe etc. Have you used any of
these packages?

Thanks,

Boby

KM

Feb 1, 2007, 1:39:57 PM2/1/07
Boby,

I recall playing with WinIO and DirectIO long.. long time ago. I can't really comment on how good those products are now.

DriverLinx Port I/O Driver, http://www.driverlinx.com/DownLoad/DlPortIO.htm, is quite old port, I'd say.

I have a good confidence in "internals" apps. WinIO can be used from non-administrative accounts and this makes it easier sometimes
to restrict shell and system UI for end users on dedicated devices. And last but not least - it is provided with source code so you
are going to be able to make some change if you need to.

DirectIO has been out there for a while and quite configurable. However, I don't think it's ever targeted heavy use of serial
devices (by heavy I mean multithreaded access to ports, etc.). Also, it is a shareware :-(

--
=========
Regards,

Boby George

Feb 1, 2007, 2:30:02 PM2/1/07
Thanks KM. I have downloaded all the three. But I will start with the
Direct IO. Thanks for the info.

--Boby

Boby George

Feb 1, 2007, 2:32:06 PM2/1/07
Oops. I meant try WinIO first.

--Boby

KM

Feb 1, 2007, 2:34:32 PM2/1/07
Boby,

I should've also mentioned that there are a lot more apps/drivers/components like the ones I mentioned. You may also want to google
on that.

--
=========
Regards,

steves

Feb 2, 2007, 7:34:24 PM2/2/07
On Feb 1, 10:39 am, "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Boby,
>
> I recall playing with WinIO and DirectIO long.. long time ago. I can't really comment on how good those products are now.
>
> DriverLinx Port I/O Driver,http://www.driverlinx.com/DownLoad/DlPortIO.htm, is quite old port, I'd say.

> I have a good confidence in "internals" apps. WinIO can be used from non-administrative accounts and this makes it easier sometimes
> to restrict shell and system UI for end users on dedicated devices. And last but not least - it is provided with source code so you
> are going to be able to make some change if you need to.
>
> DirectIO has been out there for a while and quite configurable. However, I don't think it's ever targeted heavy use of serial
> devices (by heavy I mean multithreaded access to ports, etc.). Also, it is a shareware :-(
>
> --
> =========
> Regards,
> KM
>
> > Thanks KM. I am going to check them out. I am ready to buy any of these if they are multi-processor/multi-thread safe etc. Have
> > you used any of these packages?

Also there is one called "DriverX" that we use in our project.
Seems to work well, but I didn't do the programming for the hardware
so I can't speak about how complex it is to use.

I have used DirectIO, and it was fairly simple to use, even allowing
you to use "in" and "out" instructions from 32 bit code, which is
illegal....

Steve S
stevesATeyeDASHimagingDOTcom