Installing Drivers Post FBA

Mike Warren

May 27, 2008, 2:23:37 AM5/27/08
I am trying to get an image that will work on quite a few different
(but similar) hardware configurations and want to be able to install
some drivers post FBA.

I've got it working reasonably except for 2 minor but annoying problems.

1/ When installing audio drivers, ksuser.dll and ks.sys are unable to
be found and I always need to manually tell the installer where they
are.

2/ When installing nVidia chipset or video drivers, NVUNIST.EXE will
crash many times. Clicking OK to these error dialogs doesn't seem to
affect the driver as it work properly after a reboot.

Anyone have any idea how I could go about debugging this?

--
- Mike

Sean Liming (MVP)

May 27, 2008, 8:17:34 PM5/27/08

1. You probably want to place copies of ksuser.dll and ks.sys in the
locations that the installer is looking for the dll.
2. Try DependencyWalker on the NVIDIA files to be sure that you have all the
components in the image needed to support the video applications.

Regards,

Sean Liming
www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com
Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XP Embedded Supplemental Toolkit

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not...@or-this-csas.net.au> wrote in message

Mike Warren

May 28, 2008, 5:32:37 AM5/28/08
Sean Liming (MVP) wrote:

Thanks for the reply Sean.

> 1. You probably want to place copies of ksuser.dll and ks.sys in the
> locations that the installer is looking for the dll.

I tried putting them in temp\i386 and the installer no longer asked for
them but instead asked for several other files.

I was hoping to find a more generic fix as there may be other driver
installers that will complain about different files. I have also tried
adding System32 and System32\Drivers to the path variable without
success.

I might try building a full Pro emulation and see if it has the same
problem.

> 2. Try DependencyWalker on the NVIDIA files to be sure that you have
> all the components in the image needed to support the video
> applications.

The drivers actually install and work fine. I just need to keep
clicking OK to the error messages during installation.

I have discovered that if I add "Error Reporting" to the image this
problem goes away. Weird. I would prefer not having error reporting.

--
- Mike

Ali@discussions.microsoft.com M. Ali

May 28, 2008, 6:58:01 AM5/28/08

i have also facing the almost same problem to install the audio driver
component into my image of xp embedded.
after fba runs and reboots than a diadlog is open of 'found new
hardware...'. it seems that sound driver was not properly installed.
i have facing the problem of each xp embedded image of every computer.

Audio driver is also not properly installed when we try to install it form
motherboard drivers cd.

thanx in advance for help.

regards

Sean Liming (MVP)

M. Ali

May 29, 2008, 5:08:00 AM5/29/08
thanx for reply,
i don't seen any reason behind this. i also created the the two components
for graphics and network drivers and both these work fine but there is always
a problem for the audio driver component.
when we import the devices.pmq file of target machine into the component
designer than it logs that the audio driver(realtek high def..... in our
case) are not imported successfully. so, i created the component of audio
driver through the .inf file and put it into the target designer. but the
problem could not be resolved yet.
have you nay clue about that, may be something is wrong for my side.
regards

Sean Liming (MVP)

Sveder

May 30, 2008, 3:41:19 AM5/30/08
On May 29, 5:13 pm, "Sean Liming \(MVP\)" <sean_lim...@sjjmicro.com>
wrote:

> When you imported the audio INF, was KS.INF and wdmaudio.inf in the same
> directory?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Sean Limingwww.sjjmicro.com/www.seanliming.com

In the section Extra Files i Target Designer I always add the files
below. Target directory is C:\Windows\i386. Since I began with this,
the installation of audio drivers never fail. I think I got the files
from my own Windows XP Pro computer.

aec.sys
dmusic.sys
drmk.sys
drmkaud.sys
kmixer.sys
ks.sys
ksproxy.ax
ksuser.dll
portcls.sys
splitter.sys
stream.sys
swmidi.sys
sysaudio.sys
wdmaud.drv
wdmaud.sys

Good luck.

Mike Warren

May 30, 2008, 8:36:56 AM5/30/08
Sveder wrote:

> In the section Extra Files i Target Designer I always add the files
> below. Target directory is C:\Windows\i386. Since I began with this,
> the installation of audio drivers never fail. I think I got the files
> from my own Windows XP Pro computer.
>
> aec.sys
> dmusic.sys
> drmk.sys
> drmkaud.sys
> kmixer.sys
> ks.sys
> ksproxy.ax
> ksuser.dll
> portcls.sys
> splitter.sys
> stream.sys
> swmidi.sys
> sysaudio.sys
> wdmaud.drv
> wdmaud.sys
>

> Good luck.

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

--
- Mike

Mike Warren

Jun 2, 2008, 1:26:01 AM6/2/08
Mike Warren wrote:

Ok, that works great, but I had to put them in C:\Windows\temp\i386

I have now run into the problem of Intel chipset drivers asking for
about 20 files. I can see this getting complicated. Does anyone know
why this happens on XPe, or how I would go about finding out?

I can't pre-test every future driver. Surely there is a registry entry
or similar that installers read to find out where they need to look for
system files.

--
- Mike

Sean Liming (MVP)

Jun 2, 2008, 10:35:58 AM6/2/08

It is not XPe. The driver installers are looking for these files expecting
the system to be regular Windows XP Pro.