Problems with running Target Designer on win2K

1 view

AS

Mar 8, 2004, 5:27:56 PM3/8/04
I have an Win2K PC with a 500MHZ Pentium III and 512 MB RAM. I have noticed
that everytime, I create a new target image in my Target Designer, things
work fine. But if I try to open an existing image in TD and try to
add/remove some components, it takes forever to do the dependency check as
well as to build... Sometimes, it takes more than an hour to just add a
simple additional component.. I thought it was a problem with my
installation so I installed the OS and the tools again but it works the same
way again..

Any ideas...??
Thanks,
Regards,

--
AS

Slobodan Brcin (eMVP)

Mar 8, 2004, 5:42:59 PM3/8/04
Idea is that although XPe can work on your computer, you should invest in
new hardware :(

I was working for some time with 512 MB of RAM and it was painful. You
should buy at least 1GB it is enough to hold most files required for
minlogon build in memory cache and it will eliminate or reduce usage of page
memory that is terribly slow.
As next step you should upgrade to P4>2000 MHz.
Some nice thing would be P4-2600+ with HTT and 800 MHz FBS with 2x400 MHz
DDR memory.

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"AS" <azs...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

KM

Mar 8, 2004, 8:01:47 PM3/8/04
I was working on almost all my XPe projects with PIII/800, 512 RAM machine
and I haven't experienced such slowness.
I mean TD was always pretty slow tool especially when it comes to a heavy
configuration. But even for XPProEmulation project it was taking a few
minutes (up to 20-30 minutes as a highest limit) to add a new, 22xx-th
component.

Very recently I got 1G and, of course, it is way too better as SQL caches
most of the components from my projects. It is especially easy and good to
notice when I switch between projects and/or close/open again projects.

AS, have you considered moving XPe database to another machine? It should
speed things up dramatically on your Dev machine.
Also, just in case your XPe tools got someway broken, try to create and use
(open/load/add/etc.) a configuration with CMI Explorer. That should narrow
the problem if works fine with CMI.
Also, if you have MS SQL installed on your dev machine, run Query
Analizer/Enterprise Manager and make a couple of simple but resourcable
queries to Mantis DB (XPe database) to see how SQL server performs with the
database on your machine.

--
KM