Advice to speed up component database

Phil Smith

Jun 25, 2004, 11:24:37 PM6/25/04

I want to build one or more fast development machines for XPe.

I read that the component database can be stored on a server. Has
anyone used SQL server (which version?) instead of MSDE and noticed
better performance? Can any other ODBC database be used?

How much CPU/memory is recommended if I want to build a full XPe image
with almost every component in perhaps 5 minutes or less?

TIA
Phil

KM

Jun 25, 2004, 11:50:06 PM6/25/04
Phil,

> I want to build one or more fast development machines for XPe.
>
> I read that the component database can be stored on a server.

You don't necessarily need a server but rather a separate machine to run
MSDE or SQL 2K (XP Pro should be enough).

> Has anyone used SQL server (which version?) instead of MSDE and noticed
better performance?

I use SQL 2000 (pretty much the same as MSDE 2000 but just different license
restrictions).

> Can any other ODBC database be used?

No. Unless you know a way to change XPe Tools.

> How much CPU/memory is recommended if I want to build a full XPe image
> with almost every component in perhaps 5 minutes or less?

Processor choice is up to you but I wouldn't recommend anything below 2Ghz.
Make sure you have got >= 1G RAM on the machine that willl run SQL (or
MSDE). Then SQL server will be able to cache a big part of Mantis (XPe)
database and will execute all the queries to database pretty fast.

My builds (even pretty heavy ones) usually take up to 30 secs - 1min at
most, although I am running XPe Tools and SQL Server on the same dev
machine.

> TIA
> Phil

Slobodan Brcin (eMVP)

Jun 26, 2004, 6:06:01 AM6/26/04
Just to confirm that and add one more thing that nobody mentions.
If you use two machines please use 1GB network, since on 100M it would take time just to copy files.

Regards,
Slobodan