Installing Application after XPe is Setup

Neal

Apr 16, 2004, 5:27:48 PM4/16/04
I have already built and installed XPe on a computer and am trying to run an
installation for an application I built with LabVIEW (a graphical
programming language by National Instruments). When I run the setup.exe I
get some errors and the installer stops. I didn't get the errors written
down but I think they said somthing about version. If it helps, the
installer includes the setup.ini file below.

A long time ago I did an XPe build for another computer I own and was able
to run a similar installer and had no problems. Note that that installer
was built from and older version of LabVIEW but I would think that the
latest version would be more compatible with XP. Is there some component
that I might have left out of my latest build that is needed for some
installation programs to work?

setup.ini file:
[Installer]
Title=GXD
Package=install.msi
Version=1.10
Msi9x=instmsi.exe
MsiNT=instmsiw.exe
Silent=TRUE

KM

Apr 16, 2004, 5:47:51 PM4/16/04
Neal,

On www.xpefiles.com you will find already componentized version of NI Labview Runtime Engine:
http://www.xpefiles.com/a_file.cfm?custid=Components&fileid=NIRuntime.zip&groupName=Other. You may want to give it a try first.

Satisfying dependencies of your app sometimes is not an easy process.
Hopefully you included "Windows Installer Service" and resolved the component's dependencies.
Other app dependencies you will be able to figure out and include in to your image configuration by using tools like:
Regmon/Filemon, Dependency Walker, RegSnap/Inctrl5, etc.

Here you will find more info on how to componentize an example app:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnxpembed/html/customxpecomp.asp
Third Party tools for XPe that may help you: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnxpesp1/html/xpe3rdparty.asp

--
KM,
BSquare Corporation

Neal

Apr 19, 2004, 11:54:36 AM4/19/04
Thank you KM! I was missing "Windows Installer Service" and that is all I
needed. I was able to install and my application is running perfectly.

P.S. It looks like the NI LV Runtime on www.xpefiles.com is version 6.1.
LabVIEW 7.0 has been out for over a year now and that is what I am using.

"KM" <kons...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

Brad Combs

Apr 19, 2004, 1:10:22 PM4/19/04
Neal,

If your comfortable with the new version of the component that you have
created feel free to upload it to www.xpefiles.com

Thanks!

--
Brad Combs
Imago Technologies, LLC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups
"Neal" <n...@vicontrols.com> wrote in message

Neal

Apr 21, 2004, 9:18:42 AM4/21/04
Brad, I didn't create a component. I simply installed my application after
XPe was built and installed. I still haven't become comfortable building
components and my application only has to be used on a few computers so it
is much faster to do it this way. The only reason I am using XPe is so I
can boot from CD and run without hard drives. Thanks for your help!

"Brad Combs" <br...@imagotechnologies.no.spam.com> wrote in message