Target PowerToy

Rob Stitt

Aug 15, 2003, 11:03:14 PM8/15/03
Why isn't the old (and VERY useful) Win95 "Target"
PowerToy still available with the WinXP PowerToys?

Are there problems with running the old Win95/WinNT
version with WinXP?

That is one of the PowerToys that I miss VERY badly!

Thanks,

...Rob

Will Pittenger

Aug 15, 2003, 11:17:00 PM8/15/03
You are not the only one. I miss it as well.
----------
Will Pittenger
E-Mail: mailto:will.pi...@verizon.net
All mail filtered by Qurb (www.qurb.com)
"Rob Stitt" <robs...@acm.org> wrote in message

David Candy

Aug 16, 2003, 12:08:39 AM8/16/03
It works fine.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp

With sendto you have to type regsvr32 sendmail after installing to make compatable with 98 and later operating systems. The Tweakui in 95 powertoys is the only one that can edit add/remove programs. All versions of tweakui work on XP, but only one non xp tweakui can be installed at a time.

Will Pittenger

Aug 16, 2003, 12:32:27 AM8/16/03
You got a link that installs just Shortcut Target Menu? That one download
the whole kit and kaboodle. It is not the disk space or the download times
that concern me, but there are almost certainly some things that do not
belong on a XP machine in that file.

----------
Will Pittenger
E-Mail: mailto:will.pi...@verizon.net
All mail filtered by Qurb (www.qurb.com)
"David Candy" <da...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Maureen Goldman

Aug 16, 2003, 12:55:36 AM8/16/03

I'm not clear on what Target does, but the readme.txt in my copy of
w95powertoy.exe indicates that Target 1.2 could run on NT. On that
basis I'd think it worth a shot with XP.

Note: the .exe file produces about 30 files, a good idea to run it in
its own folder.

David Candy

Aug 16, 2003, 1:13:22 AM8/16/03
It's a self extracting executable (sorry doesn't occur to me that people run files like this - this is what I do).

Any unzipper but the inbuilt one will offer to extract the files. However the inbuilt one can extract them - the way it works if it looked at exe files it would break all programs - so rename it to a zip file. Then the inbuilt unzipper can access the file.

Extract the files, right click target.inf and choose Install.

PS If you want to use the internal zipper (Compressed Folders) to make self extracting archieves you can use the same technique - get an self extracting archieve as a template (you can use the powertoys one), rename it to zip, open it, delete all the files, ignore all error messages, you now have an empty self extracting zip file. When you want to use open it, drag some files in, rename it to exe.

Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Type the following line in Start - Run.

regsrv32 sendmail

This fixes the one problem that installing Win95 Power Toys Send To causes. It still worthwhile installing then fixing for the added functionally of Send To Powertoys. Win98 Send To Desktop As Shortcut and Powertoys Send to Mail can't co-exist, but Win 98 includes it's own Send To Mail.

Maureen Goldman

Aug 16, 2003, 11:18:55 AM8/16/03
>"David Candy" <da...@mvps.org> wrote:
>Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Type the following line in Start - Run.

>regsrv32 sendmail

[cough] regsvr32 sendmail

To get the sendto desktop to work, they'll need the a registry fix.
Kelly has a link to the download in her A-Z area (S) but surprisingly
not in the tweaks section.

I still don't know what Target does.

Will Pittenger

Aug 16, 2003, 4:39:14 PM8/16/03
XP already has SendTo built in. I see no reason to install anything other
than the Target tool. I thought that is mostly just a bunch of registry
instructions that tell Explorer to add things its content menus. If so, it
should have no compatibility issues. Can't we get just the Shortcut Target
util by itself. Its the other things that are not good on XP and/or are
redundant. Just let us skip those.

BTW: What the Shortcut Target PowerToy did was add a submenu to the context
menus displayed by Explorer for shortcuts. This menu included a item called
"Find Target" (which opened the folder with the target). It also provided
access to the context menu of the target (as the rest of that menu.

----------
Will Pittenger
E-Mail: mailto:will.pi...@verizon.net
All mail filtered by Qurb (www.qurb.com)
"David Candy" <da...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Maureen Goldman

Aug 16, 2003, 7:20:29 PM8/16/03
>"Will Pittenger" <will.pi...@verizon.net> wrote:
>BTW: What the Shortcut Target PowerToy did was add a submenu to the context
>menus displayed by Explorer for shortcuts. This menu included a item called
>"Find Target" (which opened the folder with the target). It also provided
>access to the context menu of the target (as the rest of that menu.

Thanks for the explanation. The practical purpose of this is eluding
me, I'm afraid.

Will Pittenger

Aug 16, 2003, 9:43:37 PM8/16/03
You might have to try it to understand it.

----------
Will Pittenger
E-Mail: mailto:will.pi...@verizon.net
All mail filtered by Qurb (www.qurb.com)
"Maureen Goldman" <inksl...@FOGsunshine.net> wrote in message

David Candy

Aug 16, 2003, 10:18:33 PM8/16/03
I've already told you on how to install just target. Extract the files from the archive and right click target.inf and choose Install. As you've already installed the whole lot what you need to do is go Add/Remove Programs and remove the ones you don't want (each toy is a seperate entry).

The major use of SendTo powertoys is to copy URL from Internet Shortcuts to the clipboard. My computer is new and only XP and games are installed. When I posted the link to the 95 powertoys I went to favourites, right clicked the favourite, choose Properties, highlighted the URL, Ctrl + Insert (or r/c copy), then pasted in the mail. If I had Sendto powertoys installed I would have right clicked and gone Send To - Clipboard As Contents. Same when working in Start - Run or a command prompt - I use Send To - Clipboard As Name to paste file paths in.

General Send To Tips
a.. To create sub menus on the Send To menu type Sendto in the Start - Run dialog box. Click a blank spot and choose New then Folder. Rename the folder to the name you want on the Send To menu. Drag your shortcuts you want on the menu into this folder.
b.. Put a shortcut to Sendto folder into the Sendto folder. Then when you want to add a program or folder to the Send To menu right click it, choose Send To then while holding Ctrl + Shift click Sendto.
c.. To get a list of files you can use the first tip on this page or install the Win 95 Sendto Powertoys (described elsewhere on this page) and send the selected files to the Clipboard As Name powertoy.
d.. To put the URL of a favourite on the clipboard rather than it's name use Clipboard As Content.

Repairing Sendto
Type the following commands in Start - Run
Sending an item to an entry on the Send To menu is the same as dropping an item on the icon in the sendto folder. Most problems with Send To are drag and drop problems rather than Send To problems.

To reinstall all (most for XP - removable drive targets are different in XP) of Send To registry entries and extract new shortcuts in the Sendto folder type the following.

regsrv32 sendmail

To Reinstall the My Docs sendto target and repair My Docs, My Puics, My Music and partially Sendto

rundll32 mydocs,PerUserInit

If Drag and Drop (Sendto is the same as dragging and dropping the file on the target - move the targets onto your desktop and drag and drop to them if you want) has stopped working system wide type the following (nothing in sendto works)

regsrv32 ole32

If Drag and Drop has stopped working for executables files including shortcuts to executables then type the following (can't send to programs)

regsrv32 /i shell32

To open the Sendto folder for editing type

Sendto

If you uninstalled TextBridge Pro 9.0 or upgraded to TextBridge Pro Millennium.

See http://www.nvdi.com/whertra/w950812.htm

Send To Key Modifiers
Key Description
File System Objects
Control Copies a file (default for where source and destination are different drives)
Shift Moves a file (default for where source and destination are same drives)
Control and Shift Creates a shortcut (default differs depending on windows versions - in XP only programs with setup or install in the name default to this)
Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

Now typing regsvr32 sendmail installs the sendto section. Running reg files aren't necessary and aren't a complete a fix (though it includes all the reg file does) as the regsvr thinngy also fixes any files it finds missing, specifically the targets in the sendto folder.

"Will Pittenger" <will.pi...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:uBM13YDZ...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

rarrow.gif

David Candy

Aug 16, 2003, 10:29:02 PM8/16/03
It puts the menu you see when you right click the target of the shortcut as a sub menu on the shortcuts menu.

Now XP merges the menus to some degree which earlier versions didn't (except for the default command). So it's more stark on 95

A menu for a shortcut to a textfile (on 95)

Open
----
Cut {
Copy {applies to shortcut)
Paste {
----
Properties (for the shortcut)

A menu for a text file

Open
Print
-----
Cut {
Copy {applies to file)
Paste {
-----
Properties (for the file)

A Shortcut's menu with target installed

Open
----
Target (sub menu)
Open
Print
-----
Cut {
Copy {applies to file)
Paste {
-----
Properties (for the file)
-----
Cut {
Copy {applies to shortcut)
Paste {
----
Properties (for the shortcut)

Note XP puts all the verbs on a shortcuts menu, only properties and cut copy paste apply specifically to the shortcut.

And if you type

regsvr32 sendmail it does all the reg file does and more.

Maureen Goldman

Aug 17, 2003, 1:47:48 AM8/17/03
>"David Candy" <da...@mvps.org> wrote:
>It puts the menu you see when you right click the target of the shortcut as a sub menu on the shortcuts menu.

Thanks for the lengthy explanation, David. I guess I just have other
ways for doing the same things, and I'm used to them.

Will Pittenger

Aug 17, 2003, 12:47:12 AM8/17/03
I still do not trust some of the 95 power toys on XP.

----------
Will Pittenger
E-Mail: mailto:will.pi...@verizon.net
All mail filtered by Qurb (www.qurb.com)
"David Candy" <da...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Rob

Aug 18, 2003, 12:17:59 AM8/18/03
Here's an example/explanation of how (I) use the Target
Power Toy:

I have shortcuts to items (often executables) all over my
desktop (sometimes to data files, too). For more "normal"
folks, all/most of the items in the "Start" menu are also
shortcuts, so the following applies to those entries as
well.

There are often occasions where I want to look at other
items in the same folder as one of these shortcutted-
files. Normally, this requires some lengthy navigation
through explorer (or opening the shortcut's properties,
copying the location, then pasting that location in
the "Start\Run" field).

With Target installed, I simply right-click the shortcut,
then select "Target\Open Container" and the desired folder
opens directly--with the shortcutted item selected.

...Rob