Re: Semaphore Timeout Period

Shenan Stanley

Nov 25, 2005, 2:33:41 AM11/25/05
Simurgh wrote:
> Since the installation of one of the last MS Windows XP Pro
> updates, the error message "The Semaphore timeout period has
> expired" comes up when I want to access an external harddrive
> connected via USB cable to my laptop after a certain time has
> passed. Though the system recognizes the harddrive, it can't read
> the contents. There are over 1,200 questions regarding this problem
> on the internet, and most assume it has to do with networking. I
> believe it is a faulty setting in Windows XP which terminates a USB
> connection prematurely. Anyone out there who knows how to fix the
> problem?

I have come across this several time with the more "inexpensive" or "older"
USB hard drives.
I have also seen a faulty USB connector or cable cause this.

Try changing the port it is plugged into.
Then swap the USB cable out.
Then flash the firmware of the external drive if a newer version is out for
it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP