Advanced Power Options Grayed out for non-Administrators

Paul Gibson

Nov 6, 2002, 3:06:24 PM11/6/02
I've got an IBM 570 laptop with WinXP/SP1 installed on it. When I log on as
Administrator I can go to Power Options | Advanced and make changes in the
Power buttons area. This is what I've got setup
When I close the lid of my portable computer: Hibernate
When I press the power button on my computer: Shut Down
When I press the sleep button on my computer: Stand by
These work just fine as Administrator (local and NT domain).

When I log on as a normal User (not in Administrators or Power Users group),
all of these options are grayed out. Is there a way:
1. Give users permissions to change these?
2. Create a system-wide setting that all users are set to?
I looked under User Rights Assignments but didn't see anything promising.
Anything in Group Policy? Registry key setting? I've searched the Microsoft
Knowledge Base and the newsgroups without success.

Later....

I came up with a possible solution. I created a local user account in the
Power User group. I set the Power Options as I want them (and other
settings), then made it the Default User profile. This appears to be a
solution to option #2 above, but I'd still like option #1. It seems like
there should be a better way than this to create system-wide settings.

Help appreciated. Thanks.

Paul Gibson
pgi...@tscwo.com

Nicole Wan

Nov 10, 2002, 2:08:54 AM11/10/02
Hi Paul,

This feature is by design. Only users with administrative access can change
this value for the power schemes settings. Normal users do not have
permissions to change this setting.

To work around this issue, an administrator can follow these steps:

Step One: Registry settings
----------------------------------
1. Click Start and Run, type regedit in the open box and click OK.

2. Locate the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ControlsFolder\
PowerCfg\GlobalPowerPolicy

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ControlsFolder\
PowerCfg\PowerPolicy

3. Right click each of the keys, click Permissions.

4. Give the Users group Full Control over these keys.

Step Two: Check the Local Policies settings
1. In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then
double-click Local Policies.

2. In the left pane, expand Local Policies and click User Rights Assignment.

3. In the right pane, double click "Shut down the system", and check if
Users group has been added to this local security policy. If not, please
add it.

After these steps, the normal users will be allowed to alter power scheme
settings without being added to the Local Administrators group.

Regards,

Nicole Wan
Nic...@online.microsoft.com
Online Support Professional