Generic icons after reinstalling XP Home

Geoff

May 17, 2003, 11:40:58 AM5/17/03
After reinstalling Windows XP home and Norton systemworks
one of my two user accounts is fine, the other has lost
all the windows style icons on My Documents, My Computer,
the recycle bin - everything in fact one layer down from
desktop in windows explorer display. All other files seem
ok and everything works too. Any ideas how to fix this
please?

Doug Knox MS-MVP

May 17, 2003, 11:50:37 AM5/17/03
Open Windows Explorer and go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data and
locate the IconCache.db file. Delete it, log off and log back on.

Note: This assumes that XP is installed on drive C: Additionally, the
Local Settings and Application Data folders are hidden, so you may need to
adjust your Folder Options to locate these folders. You can also get to
this folder by clicking Start, Run and entering

%userprofile%\local settings\application data

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

"Geoff" <geoff....@talk21.com> wrote in message

geoff

May 18, 2003, 6:46:48 PM5/18/03
I have tried this procedure, and whilst everything did
just as you said along the way it has not fixed the
problem. The IconCache.db file was deleted and a new one
appeared as explained. But the icons are still generic
ones. Any further thoughts please?
>.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

May 18, 2003, 7:13:14 PM5/18/03
You may want to try this KB Article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];132668

Particularly the section on MaxCachedIcons.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Associate Expert
ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"geoff" <geoff....@talk21.com> wrote in message

geoff

May 19, 2003, 4:12:42 PM5/19/03
I added the registry string value MaxCachedItems value
data 2000 and it made no difference. The KB article then
says to try deleting ShellIconCache file but I dont have
one of these! Could this be something to do with the
problem? In
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Explorer I only have IconUnderline Data 03 00 00 00
and MaxCachedIcons (obviously after I added it). I have
searched my registry and there is nothing found
containing "IconCache" at all. I am running XP Home. The
article seemed to cover many Windows variants, but didn't
actually list XP. I suppose it must be one of the NT
variants listed.
>.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

May 19, 2003, 8:21:04 PM5/19/03
ShellIconCache does not exist in XP. XP uses the IconCache.db file
mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm sorry, but I don't have any other
ideas at this point, but I'll continue looking into it.