DOS prompt

navnah

Sep 20, 2009, 11:12:01 AM9/20/09

How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY
command to back up damaged files.
--
Hans

Malke

Sep 20, 2009, 11:53:41 AM9/20/09
navnah wrote:

> How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY
> command to back up damaged files.

There is no DOS in Windows XP so you can't do this as you could in Win9x/ME.
If you can't get into Windows proper, you might be able to accomplish your
task by booting into Safe Mode Command Prompt. This will give you the
command prompt without a gui and you can use XCopy from there.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Engineer@pnb.retired_1987 Don Schmidt

Sep 20, 2009, 2:17:40 PM9/20/09
Start
Run

type cmd

OK

Will bring up what you wish.

--
Don - Windows XP Pro� SP 3
Vancouver, USA

"navnah" <nav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Don Phillipson

Sep 20, 2009, 3:08:15 PM9/20/09
"navnah" <nav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY

> command to back up damaged files.

It is the other way round. WinXP boots by itself, but you
can run CMD (pseudo-DOS) in a box and then return to
Windows (GUI.)

Free software from www.xxcopy.com beats DOS XCOPY
in several respects.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Stan Brown

Sep 20, 2009, 5:10:23 PM9/20/09
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:53:41 -0700 from Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid>:

> navnah wrote:
>
> > How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY
> > command to back up damaged files.
>
> There is no DOS in Windows XP so you can't do this as you could in Win9x/ME.

Or, to answer what the OP really wants to know, click
Start | Programs | Accessories | Command prompt.

If it's not there, click Start | Run and enter this command
cmd /k
then click OK

I will never understand why normally helpful people say "there is no
DOS" and then stop, when they know perfectly well that everyone but a
few use "DOS" as a short term for "the command prompt". Is it
technically accurate? no, but neither are lots of short forms of
speech.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Hodges

Sep 20, 2009, 5:36:53 PM9/20/09

I don't remember if xcopy is included in the recovery console or not,
but you could build a PE disc with Bart's PE Builder and copy files
that way. It boots from a cd so you can even copy/modify system
files. The URL for that is http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Malke

Sep 20, 2009, 5:53:07 PM9/20/09

Stan Brown wrote:

> Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:53:41 -0700 from Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid>:
>>
>> navnah wrote:
>>
>> > How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS
>> > XCOPY command to back up damaged files.
>>
>> There is no DOS in Windows XP so you can't do this as you could in
>> Win9x/ME.
>
> Or, to answer what the OP really wants to know, click
> Start | Programs | Accessories | Command prompt.
>
> If it's not there, click Start | Run and enter this command
> cmd /k
> then click OK
>
> I will never understand why normally helpful people say "there is no
> DOS" and then stop, when they know perfectly well that everyone but a
> few use "DOS" as a short term for "the command prompt". Is it
> technically accurate? no, but neither are lots of short forms of
> speech.

Because the OP asked if there was a way to get out of Windows and into DOS
like you could in Win9x/ME. Unlike you, I *did* answer his question. He
apparently can't use the gui and your way won't be useful if that is the
case. If you hadn't "conveniently" snipped the rest of my answer, it would
be apparent to you.

And here it is! Surprise!

Steve Hayes

Sep 20, 2009, 9:29:10 PM9/20/09
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:12:01 -0700, navnah <nav...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY
>command to back up damaged files.

Go to Start --> All Programs and look for "Command Prompt"

I find it most useful to copy it to the desktop, where it is more quickly
available.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

N. Miller

Sep 20, 2009, 11:33:41 PM9/20/09
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:10:23 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> I will never understand why normally helpful people say "there is no
> DOS" and then stop, when they know perfectly well that everyone but a
> few use "DOS" as a short term for "the command prompt". Is it
> technically accurate? no, but neither are lots of short forms of
> speech.

Like the "hard disc", "power unit", "CPU", and such for the system unit? I
don't know that there is a proper term for the "tower", but it is much more
than just a "hard disc", "power unit", or "CPU". It is all of those, plus
I/O system, all in one box. Which is why "system unit" for that box is as
good a term as any.

I have a friend who keeps referring to removable media as, "tapes". Matters
not whether it is a floppy disc, CD, or DVD. It goes into a slot in the
system unit, much as an old eight-track, so, to her, it is a, "tape".

But it is hard for us geeks to understand what they mean, more often than
not. There is a reason for techno-jargon.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Richard Urban

Sep 21, 2009, 5:59:46 AM9/21/09
"Stan Brown" <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

Stan,

The O/P wants to DROP back into DOS as he could with Win98. That is not
possible for two reasons. The first, of course, is that there is no DOS in
the newer operating systems.

The second is based upon the first. You can not DROP BACK to something that
does not exist.

Malke's answer is spot on in telling the O/P to press F8 and use Safe Mode
Command Prompt!

In addition, how is a person who does not have the basic knowledge learn -
if we keep on anticipating what he means. It is proper, and correct, to tell
him/her that DOS does *NOT* exist in Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
Otherwise he will keep on coming across as a dummy!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Malke

Sep 21, 2009, 7:49:13 AM9/21/09
Steve Hayes wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:12:01 -0700, navnah
> <nav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY
>>command to back up damaged files.
>
> Go to Start --> All Programs and look for "Command Prompt"
>
> I find it most useful to copy it to the desktop, where it is more quickly
> available.

This will only work if the OP can get into Windows in the first place. If you
read the thread, you would have seen that there is some question about
whether that is the case. Unless the OP comes back to clarify what is really
going on with his/her system, we'll never know.

Ken Blake, MVP

Sep 21, 2009, 10:09:30 AM9/21/09

Richard, I completely agree with everything you say. But I also agree
with what I think was Stan's main point. He said "people say 'there is
no DOS' and then stop." It's the "...and then stop" that I think he
was driving at, since if all you say is "there is no DOS," you are not
really helping the person to do what he wants to accomplish.

Malke's answer, of course, wasn't in the "...and then stop" category
and was a very good one.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Steve Hayes

Sep 21, 2009, 12:00:16 PM9/21/09
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 04:49:13 -0700, Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:12:01 -0700, navnah
>> <nav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>>How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY
>>>command to back up damaged files.
>>
>> Go to Start --> All Programs and look for "Command Prompt"
>>
>> I find it most useful to copy it to the desktop, where it is more quickly
>> available.
>
>This will only work if the OP can get into Windows in the first place. If you
>read the thread, you would have seen that there is some question about
>whether that is the case. Unless the OP comes back to clarify what is really
>going on with his/her system, we'll never know.

Since the OP wrote about "leaving Windows" to get to the DOS prompt, it seems
that he/she was in Windows in the first place, and needed to get to the
command prompt to use xcopy.

A standard installation of XP doesn't make it all that easy to find, and I've
had support people give me extraordinarily convoluted instructions over the
phone when I could simply have clicked the Command Prompt icon on my desktop.

Twayne

Sep 21, 2009, 1:48:25 PM9/21/09
> Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:53:41 -0700 from Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid>:
>>
>> navnah wrote:
>>
>>> How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS
>>> XCOPY command to back up damaged files.
>>
>> There is no DOS in Windows XP so you can't do this as you could in
>> Win9x/ME.
>
> Or, to answer what the OP really wants to know, click
> Start | Programs | Accessories | Command prompt.
>
> If it's not there, click Start | Run and enter this command
> cmd /k
> then click OK
>
> I will never understand why normally helpful people say "there is no
> DOS" and then stop, when they know perfectly well that everyone but a
> few use "DOS" as a short term for "the command prompt". Is it
> technically accurate? no, but neither are lots of short forms of
> speech.

Actually, Microsoft describes the Command Prompt as a DOS window too, in
so many places one could never count them. It's even in the Help &
Support area on your own computer. The proper definition is that XP is
not BUILT ON TOP OF DOS as other windws versions were and thus is not
DOS based as other windows versions were. It does in fact still have a
DOS window, found in the Command Prompt, and today it is much more than
a simple DOS emulator since it has many many more possible commands at
the user's disposal.
Purists such as you encountered are silly and nonsensical beings in
that they have no wish to help the OP but rather only wish to show their
own egoes to the world. Who cares?

Twayne

Sep 21, 2009, 1:50:24 PM9/21/09
"N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

But their meaning is often in their content and context if one bothers
to pay attention rather than showing off.

N. Miller

Sep 21, 2009, 5:13:56 PM9/21/09
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:50:24 -0400, Twayne wrote:

> But their meaning is often in their content and context if one bothers
> to pay attention rather than showing off.

More often, it is not clear, from their content and context.

Stan Brown

Sep 21, 2009, 8:57:30 PM9/21/09
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:53:07 -0700 from Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid>:

> Because the OP asked if there was a way to get out of Windows and
> into DOS like you could in Win9x/ME. Unlike you, I *did* answer his
> question. He apparently can't use the gui and your way won't be
> useful if that is the case. If you hadn't "conveniently" snipped
> the rest of my answer, it would be apparent to you.
>
> And here it is! Surprise!
>
> "If you can't get into Windows proper, you might be able to accomplish your
> task by booting into Safe Mode Command Prompt. This will give you the
> command prompt without a gui and you can use XCopy from there."

As I said, you answered the literal words of his question but not
what the real question actually was. You can't really believe that
the OP really wanted to reboot, as opposed to opening a command
window within Windows.

You're a smart guy, and I know you want to be helpful, but I believe
that exalting form over substance because newbies don't know the
official vocabulary doesn't help them most effectively.

Stan Brown

Sep 21, 2009, 9:00:41 PM9/21/09
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:09:30 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
<kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain>:

> Richard, I completely agree with everything you say. But I also agree
> with what I think was Stan's main point. He said "people say 'there is
> no DOS' and then stop." It's the "...and then stop" that I think he
> was driving at, since if all you say is "there is no DOS," you are not
> really helping the person to do what he wants to accomplish.

Bingo.

If we're here to be helpful, then it is important not to punish
people for not phrasing their questions with perfect vocabulary, but
rather to look behind the form of words at what they are actually
trying to do.

N. Miller

Sep 22, 2009, 12:49:47 AM9/22/09
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:57:30 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> You're a smart guy, and I know you want to be helpful, but I believe
> that exalting form over substance because newbies don't know the
> official vocabulary doesn't help them most effectively.

There is a reason for the official vocabulary, and anybody trying to move
beyond casual use should learn it, and the reason for it. There is a reason
for everything, including, "All hands to the left!" That won't fly aboard a
ship as a quarter of the crew will be facing one of four ways, and all will
move to their left; not the desired result. "All hands to port!" will get
the desired result, of course.

N. Miller

Sep 22, 2009, 12:50:58 AM9/22/09
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:00:41 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> Bingo.
>
> If we're here to be helpful, then it is important not to punish
> people for not phrasing their questions with perfect vocabulary, but
> rather to look behind the form of words at what they are actually
> trying to do.

So. Teach them the lingo as you instruct them how to do something. So they
will know, next time around.

Jim

Sep 22, 2009, 10:10:04 AM9/22/09
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:57:30 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Malke is a lady .
Stan Brown - <plonk >

Unknown

Sep 22, 2009, 10:56:49 AM9/22/09
As you often do?
"Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

Unknown

Sep 22, 2009, 10:55:53 AM9/22/09
You sure do make a lot of erroneous assumptions.

"Stan Brown" <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

Unknown

Sep 22, 2009, 10:58:44 AM9/22/09
You mean 'continue to assume' what the are trying to say?

"Stan Brown" <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

sandy58

Sep 22, 2009, 6:30:33 PM9/22/09
On Sep 21, 6:48 pm, "Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_br...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

You tell them, Twayne. DOS works with XP. If I can move stuff around,
get rid of files etc that won't move in Windows, et al......I have
DOS!!!! Pseudo or whatever the so-called MS fundi's want to call
it.......it's freakin' DOS!! Just because MS used the story as a sales
pitch (people were scared of DOS) "Windows XP has no DOS" these afore-
mentioned fundis use the same dogma, "No such thing as DOS in....."
till they begin to actually believe their chant.

Twayne

Sep 22, 2009, 8:19:54 PM9/22/09
"sandy58" <alec...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

No, I'm afraid I can't abide by that. DOS = Disk Operating System.
Windows used to work through the Disk Operating System. It still does,
but the term "Disk Operating System" is no longer relevent in XP because
the Disk Operating System meant by "DOS" doesn't exits. The "DOS" in
that case becomes something else since that operating system doesn't
exist in XP.
What DOES happen though, is that XP will run most, not all, DOS
COMMANDS such as copy, paste, del, rd, md, etc. etc.. So since it's not
an "operating system" it isn't called DOS but was instead designated as
the Command Prompt.
Not only that, but the Command Prompt, although it includes a subset
of the old DOS commands, has many more added functions and commands than
DOS ever thought of having. A list of the possible commands is actually
a very long list; longer than the old DOS commands were.
OTOH, a command window can still, by Microsoft's reasoning, be called
a DOS prompt because it is for exactly the same presentation and
purpose. You might say that the command prompt window is a DOS window
when you use it to issue DOS commands, otherwise it's a Command Prompt
Window, for issuing any of the full set of possible commands, which
simply includes a bunch of the former DOS comands and a lot more.

Now, to the purists, to say there is no Disk Operating System can be
argued to be silly, that no computer today would function without an
operating system to support the disks, or a disk operating system.
These things can be argued inifitely.
Then you get the egotists and narcissists who simply say "there is no
DOS in XP" or something similar, and then, having spouted their slime,
completely ignore the poster's real question. They had no intent other
than to say "XP doesn't have DOS" and helping anyone was the farthest
thing from their minds. Their interpersonal skills are less than
minimal and their interest in being helpful runs a close race to it.

I might myself comment that there is no real DOS in XP, but it's done as
an aside and without malice, never in a condescending manner and just to
give them a sort of basis for further discussions. And to avoid the
E&Ns of course. If someone says "DOS window", everyone knows that they
mean, and actually it's a perfectly valid term if it's used in the
context of giving DOS commands.
So in essence, I agree with you although the MSDOS Operating System
isn't what's being referred to; plain Disk Operating System is what DOS
means, and that's all.

Oh well; it's been a long day<g>.

HTH,

Twayne`

Steve Hayes

Sep 22, 2009, 9:37:01 PM9/22/09
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:30:33 -0700 (PDT), sandy58 <alec...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

DOS stands of "disk operating system".

If your computer has no disks or discs, then no DOS is needed.

But when you see the C:\> prompt (or the A:\> or B:\> or D:\> prompt) you can
then give commands to the disk operating system to perform functions like
copying files from one disk to another, or from one place on a disk to another
place on the same disk, or from a disk to a disk, or to a virtual drive like a
flash drive.

How those commands are carried out depends on the overall operating system.
Windows 98 and below were GUIs that ran on top of an operating system called
MS DOS. Later versions of Windows are operating systems in their own right,
but when you give commands like xcopy at the command promps, you are still
giving commands to the disk operating system to perform operations on the
disks, which is what the original poster wanted to do.

So all the pedantic twaddle to avoid answering the question is just a waste of
space.

Copying files is a Disk Operation, and therefore it is a function of the DOS,
whether that DOS is built in to Windows or whether Windows is a GUI running on
top of it.

Hodges

Sep 23, 2009, 3:04:50 AM9/23/09

DOS does not work with XP and cannot read NTFS volumes without 3rd-
party applications such as NTFS4DOS. The command prompt is not the
DOS operating system just because it is a command-line interpreter.
This isn't just arguing semantics here, it really is NOT the same as
DOS. It isn't even an emulator. DOS is 16-bit, programs that run
under Windows XP's command line are 32-bit.

By your logic, Windows 95 is the same as XP in the Windows Classic
theme because they look similar.

Calling the command-line interpreter "DOS" is just as ignorant as
calling a computer tower or monitor the CPU.

Hodges

Sep 23, 2009, 3:15:25 AM9/23/09
On Sep 22, 9:37 pm, Steve Hayes <hayesm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:30:33 -0700 (PDT), sandy58 <alecki...@googlemail.com>

"DOS" is a group of similar operating systems, it is not meant to
represent any operating system that can manipulate disks, since that
would include nearly any OS since the 80s. It is generally understood
to mean MS-DOS or PC-DOS. In reference to Windows, it is universally
understood to mean MS-DOS. When referring to Windows, it can be
safely assumed that somebody referring to "DOS" does not mean
AmigaDOS, Commodore DOS, Atari DOS, or any other form of DOS. You
either don't understand what it is, or realize that you are wrong and
are just arguing for the sake of sounding right.

edfair

Sep 22, 2009, 11:50:26 PM9/22/09

Original post requested command line to be able to run xcopy.

To get to command line:
start > run > cmd
or
start > run > command
or
start > programs > accessories > command line
or
the reboot and selective startup to command line using [F8]

any of which might allow the xcopy to work as OP wants it to.

Steve Hayes

Sep 23, 2009, 4:02:44 AM9/23/09
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 00:15:25 -0700 (PDT), Hodges
<mrezo...@garrifulio.mailexpire.com> wrote:

>On Sep 22, 9:37�pm, Steve Hayes <hayesm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> DOS stands of "disk operating system".
>>
>> If your computer has no disks or discs, then no DOS is needed.
>>
>> But when you see the C:\> prompt (or the A:\> or B:\> or D:\> prompt) you can
>> then give commands to the disk operating system to perform functions like
>> copying files from one disk to another, or from one place on a disk to another
>> place on the same disk, or from a disk to a disk, or to a virtual drive like a
>> flash drive.
>>
>> How those commands are carried out depends on the overall operating system.
>> Windows 98 and below were GUIs that ran on top of an operating system called
>> MS DOS. Later versions of Windows are operating systems in their own right,
>> but when you give commands like xcopy at the command promps, you are still
>> giving commands to the disk operating system to perform operations on the
>> disks, which is what the original poster wanted to do.
>>
>> So all the pedantic twaddle to avoid answering the question is just a waste of
>> space.
>>
>> Copying files is a Disk Operation, and therefore it is a function of the DOS,
>> whether that DOS is built in to Windows or whether Windows is a GUI running on
>> top of it.

>"DOS" is a group of similar operating systems, it is not meant to

>represent any operating system that can manipulate disks, since that
>would include nearly any OS since the 80s. It is generally understood
>to mean MS-DOS or PC-DOS. In reference to Windows, it is universally
>understood to mean MS-DOS. When referring to Windows, it can be
>safely assumed that somebody referring to "DOS" does not mean
>AmigaDOS, Commodore DOS, Atari DOS, or any other form of DOS. You
>either don't understand what it is, or realize that you are wrong and
>are just arguing for the sake of sounding right.

In reference to Windows XP "DOS" does not refer to MS DOS, since, as you have
pointed outy elsewhere, Windows does not run on MS DOS. But it does have a
command prompt that allows one to perform disk operations, and so say one
can't refer to that as the DOS prompt is just nit picking.

Ol�rin

Sep 23, 2009, 8:14:52 AM9/23/09

<snip>

> In reference to Windows XP "DOS" does not refer to MS DOS, since, as
> you have pointed outy elsewhere, Windows does not run on MS DOS. But
> it does have a command prompt that allows one to perform disk
> operations, and so say one can't refer to that as the DOS prompt is
> just nit picking.

...until someone requests help in getting a DOS game to run, and the only
solution is DOSBox or similar. Then it becomes a matter of accuracy,
instead.

Still, in my book, the way the OP was phrased meant that further
explanation/education was required:

"How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt? I need to use DOS XCOPY
command to back up damaged files."

A1) "There's no DOS in XP, end of story" is clearly inadequate and
unhelpful.

A2) "Start > Run > 'cmd'" doesn't address the specifically-stated desire to
"leave windows", let alone "*return* to DOS prompt".

Hopefully if the OP has read right through all responses, he/she will now
have a fuller understanding!

Ken Blake, MVP

Sep 23, 2009, 9:54:42 AM9/23/09
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:50:26 -0500, edfair
<edfair...@no.email.invalid> wrote:

> Original post requested command line to be able to run xcopy.

Sorry, that's wrong. The original post said "leave windows to return
to DOS prompt."

That's very different from going to a command line, and is not
possible. What you suggest *may* work for the OP, but it is certainly
*not* what he asked for.

> To get to command line:
> start > run > cmd
> or
> start > run > command
> or
> start > programs > accessories > command line
> or
> the reboot and selective startup to command line using [F8]
>
> any of which might allow the xcopy to work as OP wants it to.

Twayne

Sep 23, 2009, 2:35:57 PM9/23/09
"Steve Hayes" <haye...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Exactly, and an action that never does the OP any good when it's used in
the method that started this thread; "there is no DOS" unsupported
comments. Since XP doesn't have an OS-DOS, the most one should need to
explain is a possible aside that to get to that DOS window, you use the
Command Prompt. Command Prompt is a nice, generic term for the process.
Thus, the Command Prompt allows you to use it as a DOS window to issue
most of the MSDOS commands. But it allows you to issue a lot of other,
post-DOS commands too that were added to XP for the Command Mode, to be
used in the Command Prompt.

Cheers,

Twayne`

Twayne

Sep 23, 2009, 2:36:57 PM9/23/09
"Ol�rin" <inc...@erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com> wrote in message

All excellent points.

Twayne`

Twayne

Sep 23, 2009, 2:46:03 PM9/23/09

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:50:26 -0500, edfair
> <edfair...@no.email.invalid> wrote:
>

>> Original post requested command line to be able to run xcopy.
>

> Sorry, that's wrong. The original post said "leave windows to return
> to DOS prompt."
>
> That's very different from going to a command line, and is not
> possible. What you suggest *may* work for the OP, but it is certainly
> *not* what he asked for.
>

>> To get to command line:
>> start > run > cmd
>> or
>> start > run > command
>> or
>> start > programs > accessories > command line
>> or
>> the reboot and selective startup to command line using [F8]
>>
>> any of which might allow the xcopy to work as OP wants it to.

Once again, the fantASStic MVP stated what was wrong, but not what was
right to do.

To achieve the same affect, one simply opens the Command Prompt, often
referred to as the DOS window as a matter of fact. You're still in XP,
but you're in a mode that may run DOS games, commands, etc., depending
on the game/command etc..

I suspect the OP has left this thread with the firm idea that it's
comprised of nothing but butt-heads, and impossible to tell who to
believe or what to believe, and disgusted thanks to the likes of answers
you often give. He'd be right, too: You and others like you have turned
this into a nearly useless group for anyone lacking the expertise to
phrase things exactly as YOU want to see them phrased. Good evidence of
that is your negative statement and lack of addressing the OP's needs.
You need to return to the Clarification and Verification chapters of
Interpersonal Skills assessment.
I'll bet the OP doesn't even CARE whether he "leaves" XP or not,
that's just the best way he had of explaining what his experience is.
All he wanted to know really is how to use the DOS facilities of XP.
And you never gave a positive response to that question.

HTH,

Twayne`

Twayne

Sep 23, 2009, 2:51:37 PM9/23/09
"Hodges" <mrezo...@garrifulio.mailexpire.com> wrote in message

Once again, another post with totally moot points. If you have no room
in your life for newbies who haven't yet gotten hold of the lingo, then
you should go elsewhere to show off your ego. If you aren't going to
address the OP's question somehow, then you have/had no business posting
anything here.
Windows95 is windows.
windows is not necessarily win9x or winXP or ... .
Therefore I could easily say "windows" and mean XP. And since this is
an XP group ...
This post is of no use to anyone.

N. Miller

Sep 23, 2009, 3:55:03 PM9/23/09
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:46:03 -0400, Twayne wrote:

> Once again, the fantASStic MVP stated what was wrong, but not what was
> right to do.

What is right depends upon what is desired. OP indicated, possibly, the
expectation to exit from Windows into MS DOS. Entirely feasible with Windows
98, and earlier; but even with Windows Me, required as special MS DOS boot
disc, or, possibly, modification of the standard Me installation. I never
gave it a thought to try, the EBD worked fine, for me.

It is, however, not possible to exit from Windows XP into MS DOS; because
there is no MS DOS to exit into. With Windows XP, if the intent is to exit
from Windows, then one is going to need an MS DOS boot disk; with the added
issue that MS DOS can't read NTFS volumes.

> To achieve the same affect, one simply opens the Command Prompt, often
> referred to as the DOS window as a matter of fact. You're still in XP,
> but you're in a mode that may run DOS games, commands, etc., depending
> on the game/command etc..

It is should probably be pointed out to the OP that this is an "effect", but
not the same as actually leaving Windows for MS DOS. Just for the OP's
edification; lest he leave thinking that invoking the command prompt ("DOS
box") is identical to "leaving Windows and dropping into MS DOS (it is most
definitely not).

> I suspect the OP has left this thread with the firm idea that it's
> comprised of nothing but butt-heads, and impossible to tell who to
> believe or what to believe, and disgusted thanks to the likes of
> answers you often give.

But you aren't helping matters, much! ;)

> He'd be right, too: You and others like you have turned this into a nearly
> useless group for anyone lacking the expertise to phrase things exactly as
> YOU want to see them phrased. Good evidence of that is your negative statement
> and lack of addressing the OP's needs.

What the OP wanted, and what he needed, were two different things. What he
wanted is impossible under Windows XP. What he needed was an education, not
positive reinforcement of an incorrect assumption (that it is possible to
exit Windows XP and enter MS DOS).

> You need to return to the Clarification and Verification chapters of Interpersonal
> Skills assessment.

When you have done that, yourself, get back to us and report on your
findings! ;)

> I'll bet the OP doesn't even CARE whether he "leaves" XP or not,
> that's just the best way he had of explaining what his experience is.
> All he wanted to know really is how to use the DOS facilities of XP.
> And you never gave a positive response to that question.

Now you are making an assumption. And, in case you don't know, "Assume" make
an "Ass" of "u" and "me". You could be just as wrong as you could be right.
Flip a coin: Heads you nailed it, tails you missed it.

Peter Foldes

Sep 23, 2009, 5:51:04 PM9/23/09
Norman

Planning on becoming a Diplomat anytime soon. LOL

--
Peter

"N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

N. Miller

Sep 23, 2009, 6:24:04 PM9/23/09

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:51:04 -0400, Peter Foldes wrote:

> Planning on becoming a Diplomat anytime soon. LOL

War is a form of diplomacy. I'll stick with M16s, M60s, and M109s, thank you
(though those are now obsolete).

Steve Hayes

Sep 24, 2009, 12:12:34 AM9/24/09
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:55:03 -0700, "N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:46:03 -0400, Twayne wrote:
>
>> Once again, the fantASStic MVP stated what was wrong, but not what was
>> right to do.
>
>What is right depends upon what is desired. OP indicated, possibly, the
>expectation to exit from Windows into MS DOS. Entirely feasible with Windows
>98, and earlier; but even with Windows Me, required as special MS DOS boot
>disc, or, possibly, modification of the standard Me installation. I never
>gave it a thought to try, the EBD worked fine, for me.
>
>It is, however, not possible to exit from Windows XP into MS DOS; because
>there is no MS DOS to exit into. With Windows XP, if the intent is to exit
>from Windows, then one is going to need an MS DOS boot disk; with the added
>issue that MS DOS can't read NTFS volumes.

Rubbish.

What he wanted to know was how to use the xcopy command.

He didn't say he wanted to "exit" Windows at all.

He wanted to leave the GUI in order to enter the xcopy command at the command
line.

Shenan Stanley

Sep 24, 2009, 12:35:55 AM9/24/09
<snipped>

Steve Hayes wrote:
> Rubbish.
>
> What he wanted to know was how to use the xcopy command.
>
> He didn't say he wanted to "exit" Windows at all.
>
> He wanted to leave the GUI in order to enter the xcopy command at
> the command line.

navnah;

Click on your start button, find and click on RUN and in the blank, type in
the following:

cmd /k xcopy /?

then you should click the OK button.

This will bring up a command prompt where you can issue all sorts of command
line scripts and use all sorts of command line tools. It will also give you
the HELP for the XCOPY command still built in Windows XP.

If - in the future - you just want the command prompt, the command you type
will be just:

cmd

and a new command prompt will open. You could also look under the
"Accessories" under the "All Programs" of your Start menu and find the
command prompt icon that will do something similar.

Everyone else;

Semantics and religious zealotry when it comes to this particular material?
Really?

Quoting the question word for word...
"How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt?"

What do you know, the word "exit" was not used. Only the word "leave".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/exit
"exit (verb)" entry...
Meaning: to leave a place often for another

However - this argument is just getting silly now. The original poster is
the only one that could clarify what they meant to say/wanted to do and with
all the ridiculous bickering (yep - I just added to it in fun and to
demonstrate the level this has gotten to... or actually, dropped to) I doubt
that will ever occur. ;-)

What one says and what one means may not be an exact reflection of one
another. Go funhouse mirrors!

Entire conversation:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/browse_frm/thread/d51aeca3a701120b/

ridiculous.)

Continue bickering amongst yourselves. I guess better over this than
anything serious. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

N. Miller

Sep 24, 2009, 3:55:51 AM9/24/09

What the OP said:

| How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt?

How do you "leave" Windows without "exiting"? Basic English. You are
interpolating what you think he wanted with what he actually said. You may
be right, in the end, but it is he who used ambiguous English. Let him
return to the thread to disambiguate his statement; don't be putting words
in his mouth that you think he may have meant, unless you are privy to
knowledge that the rest of us mortals have not.

Steve Hayes

Sep 24, 2009, 7:40:23 AM9/24/09
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:55:51 -0700, "N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:12:34 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

>> Rubbish.
>>
>> What he wanted to know was how to use the xcopy command.
>
>What the OP said:
>
>| How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt?
>
>How do you "leave" Windows without "exiting"? Basic English. You are
>interpolating what you think he wanted with what he actually said. You may
>be right, in the end, but it is he who used ambiguous English. Let him
>return to the thread to disambiguate his statement; don't be putting words
>in his mouth that you think he may have meant, unless you are privy to
>knowledge that the rest of us mortals have not.

It's a metaphor, my china, and Windows uses lots of metaphors, in order to
make it "user friendly" and enable the user to avoid having to know all about
the underlying intricacies of the operating system.

Windows uses paper file folders as a metaphor for directories, which is a bit
like early cars having reins coming through the dashboard and a socket for a
whip.

The letter kills, but the spirit gives life, and Windows uses too many
metaphors as it is, but it's in the spirit of Windows to do so, and so if the
user wants to leave the GUI in order to give commands to the operating system,
so be it. He doesn't necessarily want to close Windows, just not work through
it for the moment. Originally the GUI ran on top of the operating system, now
it is more integrated, but for the purpose of what the user wants to do, it
doesn't matter. The spirit of Windows is to try to be user friendly. It
doesn't always succeed, but it doesn't need people deliberately trying to make
it user hostile.

N. Miller

Sep 24, 2009, 4:39:25 PM9/24/09
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:40:23 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:55:51 -0700, "N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net>
> wrote:

>>On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:12:34 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

>>> Rubbish.
>>>
>>> What he wanted to know was how to use the xcopy command.

>>What the OP said:

>>| How do you leave windows to return to DOS prompt?

>>How do you "leave" Windows without "exiting"? Basic English. You are
>>interpolating what you think he wanted with what he actually said. You may
>>be right, in the end, but it is he who used ambiguous English. Let him
>>return to the thread to disambiguate his statement; don't be putting words
>>in his mouth that you think he may have meant, unless you are privy to
>>knowledge that the rest of us mortals have not.

> It's a metaphor, my china ...

Your Chinese sucks!

> ... and Windows uses lots of metaphors, in order to make it "user friendly"

> and enable the user to avoid having to know all about the underlying intricacies
> of the operating system.

'Twas the OP's words, not Windows. I don't know the OP well enough to know
that he speaks in metaphors. Do you?

> Windows uses paper file folders as a metaphor for directories, which is a bit
> like early cars having reins coming through the dashboard and a socket for a
> whip.

Not really. And I really do hate car analogies; they are usually strained
beyond any utility.

> The letter kills, but the spirit gives life, and Windows uses too many
> metaphors as it is, but it's in the spirit of Windows to do so, and so if the
> user wants to leave the GUI in order to give commands to the operating system,
> so be it.

But you don't "leave the GUI" when you invoke a command prompt. The GUI is
right their under the command prompt window.

> He doesn't necessarily want to close Windows, just not work through
> it for the moment.

Or so you assume.

> Originally the GUI ran on top of the operating system, now it is more integrated,
> but for the purpose of what the user wants to do, it doesn't matter. The spirit
> of Windows is to try to be user friendly. It doesn't always succeed, but it
> doesn't need people deliberately trying to make it user hostile.

None of which disambiguates the OP's ambiguous statement.

Twayne

Sep 24, 2009, 9:07:10 PM9/24/09
"N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

See; that kind of reasoning is exactly why you are unqualified to
participate in threads such as the one the OP started here. You're all
about ego with no substance. You need to find a way to be right without
a hint of having anything the wrong way or with wrong information.
You're a real wart on the ass of progress, IMO. if all this hoopla
bothers you so much, go elsewhere until you can grow a thicker skin and
learn how to live amongst the "regular" people of the world. You do not
command the authority to cause everyone to think the way you do. Thanks
to the heavens.

Hodges

Sep 25, 2009, 4:09:24 AM9/25/09
On Sep 23, 2:51 pm, "Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
> "Hodges" <mrezous...@garrifulio.mailexpire.com> wrote in message

I did address the op's question in my first post. It's text, go read
it again.

Hodges

Sep 25, 2009, 4:27:04 AM9/25/09
On Sep 24, 9:07 pm, "Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
> "N. Miller" <anonym...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

And how are your posts useful to anyone, "twayne"? Spreading
misinformation isn't very helpful, "twayne". Those of us who know
what we're talking about actually have to deal with the users that
you've misinformed and try to decipher what they're talking about.
It's usually easier to educate them when they'll admit they know
nothing than after they think they learn something from you which
turns out to be wrong.

There's a reason we need details. If somebody comes in and states "my
computer isn't working at all" and really means "Internet Explorer is
having problems", those two statements are contradictory.

Your way of thinking seems to be to just tell them to do something
even if it has nothing to do with what they were asking and probably
isn't even correct. Chances are, you're hurting more people than
you're helping.

Twayne

Sep 25, 2009, 4:18:11 PM9/25/09

"Hodges" <mrezo...@garrifulio.mailexpire.com> wrote in message

Your rhetoric only shows your lack of reading comprehension and tendency
to trolling.

N. Miller

Sep 25, 2009, 9:01:35 PM9/25/09
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:18:11 -0400, Twayne wrote:

> Your rhetoric only shows your lack of reading comprehension and tendency
> to trolling.

Your ignorance, and arrogance know no bounds.

Twayne

Sep 26, 2009, 8:26:06 AM9/26/09

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:18:11 -0400, Twayne wrote:
>
>> Your rhetoric only shows your lack of reading comprehension and
>> tendency to trolling.
>
> Your ignorance, and arrogance know no bounds.

There's that projection again.

N. Miller

Sep 26, 2009, 1:02:42 PM9/26/09

Eh? I wonder ... it seems to be you with the Trollish behavior! ;)

Twayne

Sep 27, 2009, 11:49:24 AM9/27/09

> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 08:26:06 -0400, Twayne wrote:
>
>> "N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

>>> Your ignorance, and arrogance know no bounds.
>
>> There's that projection again.
>
> Eh? I wonder ... it seems to be you with the Trollish behavior! ;)

And there's the reading comprehension again too.

Hodges

Sep 27, 2009, 2:05:20 PM9/27/09
On Sep 27, 11:49 am, "Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
> "N. Miller" <anonym...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 08:26:06 -0400, Twayne wrote:
>
> >> "N. Miller" <anonym...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

> >> There's that projection again.
>
> > Eh? I wonder ... it seems to be you with the Trollish behavior!  ;)
>
> And there's the reading comprehension again too.

N. Miller

Sep 27, 2009, 9:48:35 PM9/27/09
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:49:24 -0400, Twayne wrote:

> "N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

>>> There's that projection again.

>> Eh? I wonder ... it seems to be you with the Trollish behavior! ;)

> And there's the reading comprehension again too.

I can read just fine, and with some comprehension in three languages other
than English, as well. What is your problem? Jealousy?