Encrypt Decrypt missing from context menu

Ronald

Dec 19, 2008, 4:09:23 PM12/19/08

A slight panic just came over me. I have encrypted files, you know SD_ etc
and the context menu does not display 'decrypt' anymore.
Anyone a good idea to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Ronald

VanguardLH

Dec 19, 2008, 7:17:37 PM12/19/08
Ronald wrote:

Encrypted by WHAT?

Alan Edwards

Dec 19, 2008, 9:22:09 PM12/19/08
The context menu doesn't directly display 'decrypt'.

To decrypt a file or folder
Open Windows Explorer.
Right-click the encrypted file or folder, and then click Properties.
On the General tab, click Advanced.
Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.

...Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

Ronald

Dec 20, 2008, 6:55:53 AM12/20/08
Thanks Alan but it does not decrypt my already encrypted files. It can only
encrypt again that way (and that works indeed).

--
Ronald

"Alan Edwards" <edw...@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Twayne

Dec 22, 2008, 5:51:44 PM12/22/08
> Thanks Alan but it does not decrypt my already encrypted files. It
> can only encrypt again that way (and that works indeed).

Are you certain they were created by XP?
Try opening them with WinZip or any other zip program; it might explain
sometning, especially if XP didn't create them, or there is an error in
them. XP can only work with "legacy" zip files so if they were created
as anything else, XP won't be able to handle them.

When you again encrypt, I assume you can then decrypt that back to the
original?

Twayne

carolinechapman

Sep 27, 2009, 10:50:44 PM9/27/09
Hi Ronald, this is a few months down the track from the problem you posted but I would really like to know if you ever resolved it because I am having the same problem now!

Cheers

Ronald wrote:

Encrypt Decrypt missing from context menu
19-Dec-08

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

--
Ronald

WPF DataGrid Custom Paging and Sorting
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/8a2ea78b-f1e3-45b4-93ef-32b2d802ae17/wpf-datagrid-custom-pagin.aspx

Shenan Stanley

Sep 27, 2009, 11:26:29 PM9/27/09

Caroline Chapman wrote:
> Hi Ronald, this is a few months down the track from the problem you
> posted but I would really like to know if you ever resolved it
> because I am having the same problem now!

Another web forum/newsgroup synchronization...

Here's the full conversation from December 2008:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/browse_frm/thread/2d37fbc1f72b939a

Does anything in the full original posting help?

Are you sure you utilized Windows to encrypt the data?
Did you follow the best practices for EFS if you did use it?
Did you have to perform a clean installation, parallel installation or
repair installation on your machine and/or did you change your password
recently?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP