is KB892130 now compulsory?

gs

Jun 12, 2007, 7:37:01 PM6/12/07
is KB892130 now compulsory?

PA Bear

Jun 12, 2007, 10:19:56 PM6/12/07
KB905474 remains an Optional update.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

gs wrote:
> is KB892130 now compulsory?

Ottmar Freudenberger

Jun 12, 2007, 11:37:04 PM6/12/07
"gs" <g...@dontMail.telus> schrieb:

> is KB892130 now compulsory?

Has been for a while (since at least one year) *if* you're using
the user defined scan on the Windows/Microsoft Update site or
downloading non-security updates via DownloadCenter.

KB892130 <-> KB905474

Bye,
Freudi

gs

Jun 13, 2007, 12:55:01 AM6/13/07
actually, as of today, no way to use windows update for security update
until either the kb is applied or use mbsa the painfully slow manual method.

as far as I am concerned wga is a pain inflicted upon innocent users by the
privates. the KB does get in the way for small biz in using single image
for workstation Windows backup/refresh.

windows do seem get corrupted or bloated with use over time until refresh
with image restore or install from scratch.

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Ottmar Freudenberger

Jun 13, 2007, 1:11:27 PM6/13/07
"gs" <g...@dontMail.telus> schrieb:

> actually, as of today, no way to use windows update for security update
> until either the kb is applied or use mbsa the painfully slow manual method.

Nope. Running the "Express" update should lead you through.

> as far as I am concerned wga is a pain inflicted upon innocent users by the
> privates.

It's not, it's not even new. It's a new vesion of the WGA Validation
Tool you've already installed on your machine in an now "outdated"
version.

> windows do seem get corrupted or bloated with use over time until refresh
> with image restore or install from scratch.

Urban legends have a very long life.

Bye,
Freudi

antioch

Jun 13, 2007, 4:14:53 PM6/13/07

> "gs" <g...@dontMail.telus> schrieb:

Heavy clipping................................

> Nope. Running the "Express" update should lead you through.

> Urban legends have a very long life.

MS cockups are not all 'legend'
Their true mistakes are imprinted in the hairs on the back of my neck.

> Bye,
> Freudi

Hi Freudi
Just tried that and I am afraid you cannot avoid the download of WGA VT - it
matters not if you do it via Win update or MS update, which takes me to the
same update home page - and it matters not if you choose Custom or Express -
the same result.
But once again MS are trying to get this WGA VT through the back door under
the guise of installing MSI??????????
It says

To use Microsoft Update, you must first install the latest version of some
Windows components. This will allow your computer to work with these new
features on the site:

a.. More updates: Get updates for Windows and for popular Microsoft
programs such as Microsoft Office in one place.
b.. Faster updates: The latest Windows Installer (MSI) improves the way
updates are installed, delivering updates in the smallest possible packages
in the shortest amount of time.
c.. Easier navigation: Now you can find updates by priority or by
product while helpful links and important messages help ensure you are
installing all high-priority updates for your computer.

The above says nothing about WGA - EXCEPT THE WORDS ' FIRST YOU MUST INSTALL
SOME WINDOWS COMPONENTS??
If that is not a case of download via the back door it would be hard to find
a better example.
But then they did that before with WGA etc.
I have not used this update method for a year now - I go straight to the
security/kb page at MS and download from there, to disc, with no AV or
Firewall enabled - then I install later, after reading all the probs on this
group.
Apart from one update that I had to install five times before it took, I
have had no probs at all - but then I consider myself to be luck if it works
each Black Tuesday.
Oh, and thanks for all the time and effort you and Mow and the others put in
on this group.
It is much appreciated. I just think it a shame that MS do not appear to
employ people of your calibre :-(
Rgds
Antioch

Ottmar Freudenberger

Jun 13, 2007, 11:41:54 PM6/13/07
"antioch" <ant...@home.com> schrieb:

> Just tried that and I am afraid you cannot avoid the download of WGA VT - it
> matters not if you do it via Win update or MS update, which takes me to the
> same update home page - and it matters not if you choose Custom or Express -
> the same result.

I have made different expiriences.

> But once again MS are trying to get this WGA VT through the back door under
> the guise of installing MSI??????????

WGA VT isn't a back door. Urban legends, you know?

Bye,
Freudi

antioch

Jun 14, 2007, 8:09:06 PM6/14/07

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Freudi
I did not say WGA VT is a back door - I said the method of the offer was
back door i.e. via disguise and blackmail of a sort. You dont get your
criticals unless you download this WGA
No - I have tried three times to see what is on offer in Win and Micro
updates with either Custom or Express - it matters not what you try - you
still get the offer to download this improvement MSI but what you get is WGA
VT - if one is to believe one is getting a better method to download updates
but you get offered WGA, then that is WGA via the back door.
And it is not legend - MS did it before when they first duped thousands to
download what was no more than spyware, hidden in the guise of a
critical/security update.
You are so right about many matters discussed on this group. This time you
are so wrong, whatever your experiences are.
So why is this happening to me and others?
That you have not answered!

This what one gets every time-----
Repeated just to make sure you see what others are getting.

Quote:-

To use Microsoft Update, you must first install the latest version of some
Windows components. This will allow your computer to work with these new
features on the site:

a.. More updates: Get updates for Windows and for popular Microsoft
programs such as Microsoft Office in one place.
b.. Faster updates: The latest Windows Installer (MSI) improves the way
updates are installed, delivering updates in the smallest possible packages
in the shortest amount of time.
c.. Easier navigation: Now you can find updates by priority or by
product while helpful links and important messages help ensure you are
installing all high-priority updates for your computer.

Details

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool enables you to verify that
your copy of Microsoft Windows is genuine. The tool validates your Windows
installation by checking Windows Product Identification and Product
Activation status.

Total: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)

Download and Install Now
Now if they were open and up front why not say what these 'latest versions
of some windows components' are that they want me to download?
'This will allow your ......etc etc' I didn't know WGA did that.
But they are now blocking any attempt to download security and critical
updates via this link. Yet they promised that if one chose NOT to install
WGA, one could still get them, but no software/driver updates.

Rgds
Antioch

icon.plus.gif
info_16x.gif
nojavascript&WT.js=No

gs

Jun 15, 2007, 1:22:12 AM6/15/07
here is my cents worth,

somehow ms updates caused some problem, they offered this new mis update as
fix; yes it did fix some problem. However I suspect it also included patch
leading to wga install that you can bypass.

Call it what you will, it does have a somewhat bait and hook effect. I
acknowledge the effect is mostly benign for most people except those that
have to deal with imaging and restore in small shops.

In small shops that paid full cost of every single pc's win xp pro but not
quite enough at that the time to acquire the volume licence and also don't
have the budget for the enterprise solutions.

"antioch" <ant...@home.com> wrote in message

sbra...@pacbell.net

Jun 15, 2007, 6:41:06 PM6/15/07
Regardless of express or custom, you cannot opt out of the new WGA.
Regardless of express or custom, in the era of the pain and suffering
we have gone through with svchost, it is advertised as an update to
MU. It is not.
Microsoft is chipping away at the trust of it's software and insulting
their customers.

On Jun 14, 10:22 pm, "gs" <g...@dontMail.telus> wrote:
> here is my cents worth,
>
> somehow ms updates caused some problem, they offered this new mis update as
> fix; yes it did fix some problem. However I suspect it also includedpatch

> leading towgainstall that you can bypass.

> Call it what you will, it does have a somewhat bait and hook effect. I
> acknowledge the effect is mostly benign for most people except those that
> have to deal with imaging and restore in small shops.
>
> In small shops that paid full cost of every single pc's win xp pro but not
> quite enough at that the time to acquire the volume licence and also don't
> have the budget for the enterprise solutions.
>

> "antioch" <anti...@home.com> wrote in message

> > "Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote in message

> >> I have made different expiriences.

> >>WGAVT isn't a back door. Urban legends, you know?
>
> >> Bye,
> >> Freudi
>
> > Freudi
> > I did not sayWGAVT is a back door - I said the method of the offer was

> > back door i.e. via disguise and blackmail of a sort. You dont get your
> > criticals unless you download thisWGA
> > No - I have tried three times to see what is on offer in Win and Micro
> > updates with either Custom or Express - it matters not what you try - you
> > still get the offer to download this improvement MSI but what you get is

> >WGAVT - if one is to believe one is getting a better method to download
> > updates but you get offeredWGA, then that isWGAvia the back door.

> > 'This will allow your ......etc etc' I didn't knowWGAdid that.

> > But they are now blocking any attempt to download security and critical
> > updates via this link. Yet they promised that if one chose NOT to install
> >WGA, one could still get them, but no software/driver updates.
>
> > Rgds

> > Antioch- Hide quoted text -

antioch

Jun 15, 2007, 8:21:54 PM6/15/07

<sbra...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Regardless of express or custom, you cannot opt out of the new WGA.
> Regardless of express or custom, in the era of the pain and suffering
> we have gone through with svchost, it is advertised as an update to
> MU. It is not.
> Microsoft is chipping away at the trust of it's software and insulting
> their customers.

Hi sbradcpa
I am glad somebody else can see this on WU Home pages.
I wonder if Freudi has found it yet - it was not in his experience the last
time he posted??
WGA though the back door yet again.
Rgds
Antioch

CsatPro

Jun 15, 2007, 11:38:00 PM6/15/07
Hi Antioch,
maybe you or someone else can help.
I dont care what ms does I'm just trapped in their world.
but I cant load anything on WU including this ___________ validation tool
I suppose I need the tool to load updates but I need the update to load the
tool, repeat, repeat, etc
I used to load manually but cant find that page, someone mentioned
security/kb but where is it

Can I find the validation tool there as well????

I'm just another MS lemming but I cant afford to fight.

antioch

Jun 16, 2007, 2:57:43 AM6/16/07

"CsatPro" <Csa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi Antioch,
> maybe you or someone else can help.
> I dont care what ms does I'm just trapped in their world.
> but I cant load anything on WU including this ___________ validation tool
> I suppose I need the tool to load updates but I need the update to load
> the
> tool, repeat, repeat, etc
> I used to load manually but cant find that page, someone mentioned
> security/kb but where is it
>
> Can I find the validation tool there as well????
>
> I'm just another MS lemming but I cant afford to fight.

CsatPro
The WGA VT on offer in WU is KB892130, which according to MS site search
does not exist - poss the first version issued when it came via the back
door as a critical update sometime in early 2006 or before even.
As far as I know the latest is KB905474 issued Feb 2007.
Gates has our balls in his grasp once again.
If you MUST download WGA VT then try here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=7&freetext=kb905474&DisplayLang=en

Or go here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7

enter the kb's you want and download to disc.
This how I have been getting mine for over a year.
You may well find that you do not need to download and WGA VT first.
All the best for the next Black Tuesday. I wonder which hidden method MS
will use to get us to install this spyware.
Good luck
Rgds
Antioch

Ottmar Freudenberger

Jun 16, 2007, 3:29:42 AM6/16/07

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130/en-us

> - poss the first version issued when it came via the back
> door as a critical update sometime in early 2006 or before even.
> As far as I know the latest is KB905474 issued Feb 2007.

KB892130 != KB905474

KB892130 = WGA Validation Tool (not running in the background).
You need to install this update to download optional updates (not
only IE7, WMP 11 and the like). It's in the end nothing more than
an ActiveX control used by IE.

KB905474 = WGA Notification Tool (running in the background)
You don't need to install this update at all. While it includes
the function of KB892130, it also has a permanent running component
while logging in to Windows. That's the one, which gave WGA the very
bad taste during its "beta phase" back in May 2006, when MS started
to push the "beta" of KB905474 as an important update via WU/MU/AU
whithout further announcement and a very vague EULA. The first
version of KB905474 has contacted a MS server every time you've
logged in to your system. That has been the main reason, why a lot
of users got on the barricades and why even I started to offer a
KB905474-Uninstaller.

So please differenciate between KB892130 and KB905474.

Oerks, nope,
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windowsxp-kb892130-enu-x86_330f7620f5b52cdc70c9555786cbe32491eaf8f1.exe
is the way to go than if KB892130 doesn't install via WU/MU.

And yes, you can't bypass KB892130 any longer via WU/MU (I had been
"lucky" to get that one in a wacky state of WU/MU), but it still
isn't offered via AU.

Bye,
Freudi

PA Bear

Jun 16, 2007, 2:03:10 PM6/16/07

Freudi, the FUD slayer: Huzzah!
--
~PA Bear

oldman

Jun 16, 2007, 12:25:03 PM6/16/07
The best way to get the updates is to download the iso file each
month.
Extract the iso and grab the updates you want.

antioch

Jun 16, 2007, 8:45:19 PM6/16/07

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Comments noted - so it appears that the only way to get security or critical
updates without involving KB892130, is via auto updates via the yellow
shield - in other words download and be damned or take it or leave it?
How you got lucky when others didnt makes one wonder - for me it was as I
have stated from the first when updates were offered via the yellow shield.
As for finding KB892130, why is it not available in MS Download?
It is a download is it not?
Help and Support just gives one with lots of links to info about it.
I note the link you gave in reply to me starts - download.windowsupdate etc
For the average computer user, finding that result without know exactly
where to find it is the prob with MS.
Yet my search of MS download/windows updates found nothing?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=7&freetext=892130&DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=38DF6AB1-13D4-409C-966D-CBE61F040027&freetext=892130&DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=38DF6AB1-13D4-409C-966D-CBE61F040027&freetext=892130&DisplayLang=en

Further searches on links suggested, just send you to info sites.
I still maintain that for the average searcher, the MS site is not easy.

Thanks for your explanation
Antioch

PA Bear

Jun 16, 2007, 9:04:20 PM6/16/07
antioch wrote:
<snip>

> Comments noted - so it appears that the only way to get security or
> critical
> updates without involving KB892130, is via auto updates via the yellow
> shield - in other words download and be damned or take it or leave it?
<snip>

Do you understand that Automatic Updates has a setting other than
"Automatically download and install"? Other choices include (paraphrased)
"Automatically download but don't install" and "Don't automatically download
or install". See...

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

antioch

Jun 16, 2007, 9:21:52 PM6/16/07

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA
Of course I do - I have it set to notify only - via yellow shield I assume -
but I gave up using that method over a year ago due to probs. encountered
three months on the trot.
I note the KB numbers on offer, and go get each from MS Download Security
Update. I save to disc and install 'at leisure', one at a time.
I have no faith in installing them en-bloc again.
If you ever get any update problems I would recommend this method to you :-)
Rgds
Antioch

PA Bear

Jun 17, 2007, 11:24:20 AM6/17/07
antioch wrote:
> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> antioch wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Comments noted - so it appears that the only way to get security or
>>> critical
>>> updates without involving KB892130, is via auto updates via the yellow
>>> shield - in other words download and be damned or take it or leave it?
>>> <snip>
>>
>> Do you understand that Automatic Updates has a setting other than
>> "Automatically download and install"? Other choices include
>> (paraphrased)
>> "Automatically download but don't install" and "Don't automatically
>> download or install". See...
>>
>> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>> --
> Of course I do - I have it set to notify only - via yellow shield I
> assume -
> but I gave up using that method over a year ago due to probs. encountered
> three months on the trot.
> I note the KB numbers on offer, and go get each from MS Download Security
> Update. I save to disc and install 'at leisure', one at a time.
> I have no faith in installing them en-bloc again.
> If you ever get any update problems I would recommend this method to you
> :-)

<touch wood> I have never had an issue installing updates via AU using the
Notify Only option.

OT: I recently hid an update, only to find ~6 weeks later (via
windowsupdate.log) that it had downloaded but did not install. This, I
believe, was anomolous behavior and I'm currently working with the WU team
to discover why it happened. Note that I have never been offered this
update to install although windowsupdate.log says "Downloaded and ready to
install".
--
~PA Bear

antioch

Jun 17, 2007, 7:34:53 PM6/17/07

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Alas I did - April, May & June last year - but so did many others. Since
then I have not used it at all.
Indeed you describe a strange happening - but then I have been offered
updates, (only ever via WU Home page) non-critical, that have no application
or connection with my system, like for IT persons, or servers or progs I do
not have installed. But then I suppose others get these as well.
Take care
Rgds
Antioch