New Microsoft Update not working

techguy

Jul 7, 2005, 12:16:03 PM7/7/05
I installed this on my Windows Advanced 2000 Server. Updates ran fine with
version 4. Now I get the following error when trying to update. I get the
welcome screen, click on custom or express and get this,

[Error number: 0x800A0046]
Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
click Custom Level.
In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

Any help please...how can I uninstall version 6?

lanman

Jul 7, 2005, 5:24:02 PM7/7/05
I am having the same problem. Have you heard of a solution? This is on my
laptop behind a firewall, but that shouldn't stop Windows updates.

techguy

Jul 7, 2005, 8:34:06 PM7/7/05
no answer yet, I have other machines in the network with the update that run
fine! Go figure.

Burt

Jul 8, 2005, 5:32:07 PM7/8/05
I'm having the same problem on a Windows 2000 SP4 IE 6 SP1. Of course the
sugestion is worthless, the Userdata persistence is already Enabled. I've set
all security low but got same results. I hope there is a way to uninstall
this. Anyone know how to fix this or uninstall it?

"techguy" wrote:

> I installed this on my Windows Advanced 2000 Server. Updates ran fine with

Burt

Jul 8, 2005, 6:32:16 PM7/8/05
Additional information: The user account I was using had Administrator
privilages and about everything else. I then logged into Administrator and
the Update Epress worked. I'm checking profiles but there shouldn't be any
differences.
Here are the errors I get in the Windows Update.log:
COMAPI WARNING: Unable to listen to self-update/shutdown event (hr=0X80070005)
COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish connection to the service. (hr=80070005)
COMAPI WARNING: warning: failed to unregister shutdown/self-update
callbacks, hr=80070005
COMAPI WARNING: Unable to successfully terminate connection to the service,
hr=80070005

techguy

Jul 8, 2005, 6:51:13 PM7/8/05
I am logged in as Administrator, and have this problem still.....No
resolution posted yet.

Robert Aldwinckle

Jul 9, 2005, 5:12:15 PM7/9/05
"techguy" <tec...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I installed this on my Windows Advanced 2000 Server. Updates ran fine with
> version 4. Now I get the following error when trying to update. I get the
> welcome screen, click on custom or express and get this,
>
> [Error number: 0x800A0046]

The code means "permission denied"

So look in your log for more clues about what is overly restricted.
If it is the other way around e.g. you have overly restricted the account
being used you will get less information from the log about that.
In that case it may be a good idea to monitor your update session
with FileMon (freeware from SysInternals). The input filter that I like to use
(for WUv5 and WUv6 sessions) is: SoftwareDistribution;Update;CatRoot

It's possible but I think less likely that the permission would be associated
with a registry key. You could try using RegMon to monitor the programs
involved with update for that but I think you would have to use FileMon first
to find out what the executable names are. Unfortunately one of them might be
svchost.exe which provides no way of differentiating which service the accceses
are being done for; so if you had to monitor it you could find many irrelevant
trace entries being made for any other services which needed registry access.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Neale D. Hind

Jul 10, 2005, 5:16:45 AM7/10/05
In message <eeLDgrMh...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Robert Aldwinckle
<rob...@techemail.com> writes

>"techguy" <tec...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I installed this on my Windows Advanced 2000 Server. Updates ran fine with
>> version 4. Now I get the following error when trying to update. I get the
>> welcome screen, click on custom or express and get this,
>>
>> [Error number: 0x800A0046]
>

>The code means "permission denied"
>
>So look in your log for more clues about what is overly restricted.
>If it is the other way around e.g. you have overly restricted the account
>being used you will get less information from the log about that.
>In that case it may be a good idea to monitor your update session
>with FileMon (freeware from SysInternals). The input filter that I
>like to use
>(for WUv5 and WUv6 sessions) is: SoftwareDistribution;Update;CatRoot
>
>It's possible but I think less likely that the permission would be associated
>with a registry key.

There are a significant number of registry permission problems appearing
within the Microsoft news groups.

You may wish to look at the thread I started (message id:
<$zdIDsAV...@easton.demon.co.uk>) titled XP-HOME: Only original
account now works.

I posted details of a solution that worked for me.

> You could try using RegMon to monitor the programs
>involved with update for that

It was using Regmon that helped me trace the error that I was having.

> but I think you would have to use FileMon first
>to find out what the executable names are.

>Unfortunately one of them might be
>svchost.exe which provides no way of differentiating which service the
>accceses

Process Explorer (from the same authors as Regmon) may help.
<http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html>

>are being done for; so if you had to monitor it you could find many irrelevant
>trace entries being made for any other services which needed registry access.

Cheers,
--
Neale Hind
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

lanman

Jul 10, 2005, 4:58:01 PM7/10/05
Thanks Neale, but I have XP Pro not Home. I was able to disable all network
connections, then use a dial-up connection, then open IE and the Windows
Update worked via modem. Not sure why this would work, but it did update. The
LAN Access from private network does not.

- lanman

vanzilar

Jul 10, 2005, 11:44:01 PM7/10/05
This is weird... I shouldn't have upgraded Microsoft update...now my Japanese
edition Windows server 2000 is having the same problem as well..
I can't downgrade it and I have work to do!

This is horrible... who released the product before all the bugs were
gotten rid of!! I though Microsoft's QA department had finally gotten their
act together around 1999... guess not!

I've tried tons of my own solutions... none have worked so far..maybe one
of these solutions will work.

vanzilar

Jul 11, 2005, 2:28:03 AM7/11/05
Well one good thing...switching the Adminstartor user allows me to update
from that user.... There are tons of threads an google web pages on this with
all sorts of other solutions... so far none have worked, but at least I can
get updates by switching users. I've checked and both users have the same
services running... its not a RPC problem.... etc etc... I know what the
problem isn't.

Now I'm trying to eliminate my admin user that can't update from the Guests
group.... Maybe that will work... but then I won't be able to use it as a
guest anymore which will be unfortunate.

vanzilar

Jul 11, 2005, 2:47:01 AM7/11/05
Here I go replying to myself again.

Well that did it.... I guess eliminating the user from the guest group
was the root cause for me. But now I'll have to set up some of my complex
file transfer stuff a bit differently... OK. I'll figure it out... life goes
on.

techguy

Jul 11, 2005, 6:39:02 PM7/11/05
It now gets passed that error message when I took of guests and domain guests
from the members of group of the built in admin account. However all
downloads fail now....any more info you can give me?

Burt

Jul 11, 2005, 6:56:02 PM7/11/05
The suggestion from Vanzilar of "eliminating the user from the guest group"
corrected my problem. I consider this a work around and not a fix. I am still
interested in finding a real fix but I'm under a time crunch and can't worry
about now.

techguy

Jul 12, 2005, 12:05:16 PM7/12/05
Well Burt, this suggestion also worked for me. I then did some more reaserch
with the hint on guest accounts and found the problem listed on the MS
knowledge base. Here is the link...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883821

removing guest was not a big deal for me. It seems however you can do some
other work arounds. Hope this helps!