RE: v5 - Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update softwar

mrbella

Sep 8, 2004, 3:09:10 AM9/8/04
FYI...another thing that I noticed specific to this computer is that the new
Windows Security Center under Automatic Updates tells me "automatic updates
are not yet configured for this computer..." and provides me a button to
enable Automatic Updates. When pressed the "Turn on Automatic Updates"
button gives a message stating that "We're sorry. The security center could
not change your automatic updates settings. Try changing these yourself..."
I have done this myself and it still reports the same.

"mrbella" wrote:

> When I go to Windows Update I am presented with the following message:
> "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
>
> Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
> time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
> warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
> Install or Yes to install the software."
>
> I am neither presented with an install opportunity nor do I get an error. I
> simply get nothing - no activity at all.
>
> My other computers on my home network have updated and function properly
> with the new v5.
>
> I have since downloaded and installed XP SP2 in hopes that it would resolve
> the issue...it has not.
> Please help me resolve this.
>
> Thanks

Kaylene aka Taurarian

Sep 8, 2004, 8:27:53 AM9/8/04
Try registering the following:

Click Start, select Run and type:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
Press enter after each one and wait for the success message

or

When searching for available updates on the Windows Update site, you see the
0x8007043B error
This error may occur if the WUAUSERV and BITS services are not configured properly in
the registry.
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?articleid=19&ln=en

"mrbella" <mrb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

E - @discussions.microsoft.com Dave E -

Sep 8, 2004, 2:57:01 PM9/8/04
Worked for me too - same problem, same symptoms...

manzha

Oct 11, 2004, 12:13:01 PM10/11/04
same problem in the office. it seems that this is caused by passing the
update process from your user to the update process running as system account
after installing the v5 wuweb control class.

system account is not allowed to connect to the internet using the proxy
server. so access is disabled. :-(

as much as i know there is no proper workaround at the moment. (without
opening internet connection for system account ..... )

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Oct 11, 2004, 1:35:16 PM10/11/04
manzha wrote:

> same problem in the office. it seems that this is caused by passing the
> update process from your user to the update process running as system account
> after installing the v5 wuweb control class.
>
> system account is not allowed to connect to the internet using the proxy
> server. so access is disabled. :-(
>
> as much as i know there is no proper workaround at the moment. (without
> opening internet connection for system account ..... )

Hi

Create an anonymous access rule for Windows Update site on the
proxy server.

More here:

XP Windows Update Error 0x8024402C / 0x80072f78 when behind a
Microsoft ISA server
http://www.electrosonics.net/technotes/xperror0x8024402C.htm

and

From: Allenh [MSFT] (a-a...@online.microsoft.com)
Subject: Re: Temporary fix for 0x8024402C error
Date: 2004-09-29 08:45:32 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OSQqRsjpEHA.3856%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

fcacpa

Jan 2, 2005, 6:41:02 PM1/2/05
thank you - this problem has been driving me nuts for months. What I don't
understand is why I cant find this solution in the MS Knowledgebase after
doing a search on the "checking for ..." text. There's a suggestion about
registering a java dll, but none of this. In any case, this worked. Again,
many thanks. Frank