Re: Security update KB936181

TaurArian

Jan 24, 2008, 3:04:40 PM1/24/08
Posted by another user - From Microsoft Help/Support

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility

1. Visit the following link to download the utility:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Save the file to the computer.

3. Install this tool on the computer.

Step 2: Remove MSXML software

=========================

1. Click Start -> (All) Programs -> Windows Installer Clean Up.

2. See if you can find MSXML software. If so, remove them.

3. Restart the computer.

After that, please try to reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and MSXML 4.0
SP2 Security Update KB925672 and KB927978.

Step 3: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

================================

1. Please download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and the related updates from the
following links and save them to the Desktop.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/5/9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d249561629c/msxml.msi

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB936181)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/4/2/9422e6b6-08ee-49cb-9f05-6c6ee755389e/msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe

2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and
follow the directions to save them to the Desktop.

3. After downloading the MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 setup file and its updates
on to the Desktop, please double-click the files to manually install them one
by one.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Alchemist" <Alch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| The XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 shows it has been installed on my
| computer at least 10 times. It still says I need it. I have done all the
| checks that the help says. Plus I have done a Error checking and I still get
| the notification. What next.

chrisvward

Sep 20, 2008, 5:07:04 AM9/20/08

2ND DOWNLOAD (KB396181) ERROR MSG READ
ERROR OPENING INSTALLATION LOG FILE. VERIFY THAT THE . . . FILE
LOCATION EXISTS AND IS WRITABLE.

I have no idea where to go from here to get this downloaded.

--
chrisvward
chrisvward's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/chrisvward.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

chrisvward

Sep 20, 2008, 7:42:01 AM9/20/08

Resolved. After UNINSTALLING the MSXLM files and downloading the SP2
and SP2 KB936181 files and failing to run the ...181 program from the
desktop file, I went to update in help and support and used update
window to attempt the update. after 13 months of the system attempting
it, it finally worked properly. I went back in and old update messages
were gone and SP1 for Vista 9/8/08 was listed. Ran that update and my
system is now current. Voila. HP Chat support kept sending me to the
KB927978 link which I don't think would not have solved my problem with
the ...181 installation and messages these past 13 months. They also
insisted I uninstall HP Update in "safe mode" in spite of my report of
it not working in safe mode. kept getting error 1720.