Error installing W2K SP4 Rollup 1 KB 891861

IanL

Oct 28, 2005, 7:34:02 AM10/28/05
When installing this update, the install gets part way through & then fails
with the following:

"Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each
problem description.

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being
downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that
doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

Microsoft Windows 2000
Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (KB891861)"

This is a new install on a previously-formatted hard drive. There is nothing
on the PC apart from Windows & other items from Windows update. I tried
downloading the exe & running that , but it failed too

Any suggestions welcome!

Ian

mITch

Oct 28, 2005, 4:38:51 PM10/28/05
I am in the same boat. Any luck?

David H. Lipman

Oct 28, 2005, 6:56:21 PM10/28/05

IanL

Oct 31, 2005, 5:05:03 AM10/31/05
I tried in "normal" mode & also in Safe mode, running the exe from the C:
drive WINNT Folder. In each case the wizard started, inspected the
configuration, backed up files & got as far as starting to back up the
Registry. Then I got a screen popup "Update Rollup Setup Error.....Update
Rollup Setup Cancelled".

Any ideas? All I can think of doing now is to reformat the HDD & start
again, or can I try anything else? I've previously installed this rollup
without problems on other PC's in our office with similar hardware/software
configurations.....Thanks!!!

mITch

Oct 31, 2005, 2:57:56 PM10/31/05
Once again, same thing happens for me: it fails to backup a registry key,
then towards the end there is an access denied message and fails.
Thanks David for your suggestion, though. I guess we'll keep searching for a
solution.

Regards,
mITch

IanL

Nov 4, 2005, 5:26:04 AM11/4/05
OK, here's the story so far. I reformatted the hard drive & reinstalled W2k
from a CD with W2K & SP4. On another PC, I downloaded the update rollup &
copied it to a clean CD. Then right afer installing windows, before I set up
any device drivers or LAN setup, I installed the rollup from CD & it worked.
I then istalled the device drivers, LAN setup, etc. The PC has hung a few
times but I'm making progress.

Bad news: Windows Update still tells me the rollup isn't installed. I tried
installing MDAC2.8 to fix this, as per another post, but it's still showing
as uninstalled on Windows update although in Control Panel>Add/Remove
programs it's shown as installed. I can probably live with this....

Robert Aldwinckle

Nov 4, 2005, 3:03:25 PM11/4/05
"IanL" <Ia...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> OK, here's the story so far. I reformatted the hard drive & reinstalled W2k
> from a CD with W2K & SP4. On another PC, I downloaded the update rollup &
> copied it to a clean CD. Then right afer installing windows, before I set up
> any device drivers or LAN setup, I installed the rollup from CD & it worked.
> I then istalled the device drivers, LAN setup, etc. The PC has hung a few
> times but I'm making progress.
>
> Bad news: Windows Update still tells me the rollup isn't installed. I tried
> installing MDAC2.8 to fix this, as per another post, but it's still showing
> as uninstalled on Windows update although in Control Panel>Add/Remove
> programs it's shown as installed. I can probably live with this....

I think it was *both* the MDAC update and the latest service pack for
MSXML 3.0 which Dave Hawley found necessary to apply as pre-requisites
for the rollup.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

IanL

Nov 17, 2005, 4:49:04 AM11/17/05
OK, thanks, I put in MSXML 3 SP 7 & this allowed Windows Update to install
the rollup. It was there already, but I guess I'm now in line, at least until
the next time....

Thanks, Ian

Robert Aldwinckle

Nov 18, 2005, 11:36:16 AM11/18/05

>>> I tried installing MDAC2.8 to fix this
>> I think it was *both* the MDAC update and the latest service pack for
>> MSXML 3.0 which Dave Hawley found necessary to apply as pre-requisites
>> for the rollup.

> OK, thanks, I put in MSXML 3 SP 7 & this allowed Windows Update to install

> the rollup. It was there already, but I guess I'm now in line, at least until
> the next time....
>
> Thanks, Ian

Thanks for the feedback. This changes the idea of what the problem is.
E.g. perhaps it is not just a case of missing prerequisites (undocumented
or otherwise) but that reinstalling them acts as a repair? In any case we
now have one more possibility to suggest thanks to your experience.

Robert
---

WMQ

Feb 25, 2006, 6:00:27 PM2/25/06
Don't know if this is of any help, but after tearing my hair out trying to
get the rollup to install, even after following all the suggestions given, I
hit on the amazing idea of temporarily disabling Norton Internet Security
(2004). That did the trick and everything came right with all subsequent
downloads slotting right in.
Might be worth a try with your firewall?

Bill Q

> [...]

jwilliam

Apr 13, 2006, 1:00:01 AM4/13/06
I don't get an error. I says it is successfull and then windows update wants
to install it again. Base line security scanner says it isn't installed.
Installed MDAC 2.8 and updated it and also MSXML 3 SP7 and still does that
same
thing.

> [...]

Robert Aldwinckle

Apr 14, 2006, 11:10:36 PM4/14/06
"jwilliam" <jwil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I don't get an error. I says it is successfull and then windows update wants
> to install it again. Base line security scanner says it isn't installed.
> Installed MDAC 2.8 and updated it and also MSXML 3 SP7 and still does that
> same
> thing.

Then you're going to have to do more of the same sort of diagnosis
and analysis that Dave Hawley did in the first place just to find the
set of omissions that he found. At least you have an MBSA which
tells you that things aren't quite right. In his case only the old version
of MBSA could give him the clue.

From my reply to his last post:

Subject: Re: Windows 2000 SP4 Update Rollup "Sticking"
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:36:49 -0400

<extract>
> I downloaded and installed MBSA version 1.2.1, which is still available.
> This scanned and told me that two components of Windows were out of date.
> These were MS Data Access Components 2.8, which needed to be upgraded to
> SP1, and MSXML 4.0, which needed to be upgraded to SP2.
> MBSA 2.0 had not caught this at all!
> I installed the updates, and the problem has gone away!
</extract>

HTH

Robert
---

mcowen

Jul 19, 2006, 10:38:01 PM7/19/06
Just spent several hours with MS troubleshooting this one...

Look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv\ for a file
named html32.cnv. If it's missing, you will get stuck in this loop. If you
cannot copy the file from a known good machine, running the latest Office
Service Pack should replace it.

This IS a security issue and MS will offer free support to consumers for
this issue (i.e. you're running W2K PRO, and not any flavor of server).

Mike