Windows Update Error - Office 2003

JCO

Mar 19, 2006, 10:24:32 PM3/19/06
My computer keeps telling me to update 3-items (KB905756, KB913807 &
KB913161).
Each time I do the updates, they fail to install. I can't figure out why.
Then the next day, the updates want to install again. This has been an
ongoing process for several days now.

I tried to download each of the updates separately. This made no
difference.

What do I do?

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Mar 20, 2006, 4:29:22 AM3/20/06
How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation from the Office Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

JCO

Mar 20, 2006, 6:03:23 PM3/20/06
Thanks, this is very help full.
I've worked thru most of this already but so far it has not made a
difference.

I also realized that we have a public.office.setup newsgroup where I also
posted this problem.

Thanks again (so far)

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" <taurarian...@gmail.com> wrote in message

JCO

Mar 20, 2006, 7:06:33 PM3/20/06
I also have some that have updated just fine, but the 3-listed ... always
fail. Going back to Windows Update, I was able to find the error code:
Error Code: 0x80070643
Not sure what this code means. I know my issue has nothing to do with a
"drive" acting up. I don't have that issue. Good luck with yours... while
I research my error code.

"Furry Mark" <Furry Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have what appears (on the surface) to be exactly the same problem.
> KB905756, KB913807 and KB913161 are failing to install. Other Windows
> updates (e.g. KB913446) are installing without any problems.
>
> Installation failure is showing Error Code 0x52F as the status code in the
> Update History, which appears to be Installer Error 1327.
> This implies an invalid drive letter.
>
> I have a failed drive at the moment (dead hard disk that has been
unplugged)
> Although it was only used as a scratch area, I'm wondering if the Office
> setup has retained some knowledge about the missing drive and is refusing
> play as a result?

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Mar 21, 2006, 2:18:40 AM3/21/06
Office Update fails to Install with error 0x52F
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=35&ln=en&IsMu=False
Disabling the LIS would clean-up the registry setting and might fix the issue. If the update
requires source from cache and if it is binary update, the first attempt at install might fail and
the install will switch to full file for the next detection cycle.

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
"Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

"Furry Mark" <Furry Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have what appears (on the surface) to be exactly the same problem.
> KB905756, KB913807 and KB913161 are failing to install. Other Windows
> updates (e.g. KB913446) are installing without any problems.
>
> Installation failure is showing Error Code 0x52F as the status code in the
> Update History, which appears to be Installer Error 1327.
> This implies an invalid drive letter.
>
> I have a failed drive at the moment (dead hard disk that has been unplugged)
> Although it was only used as a scratch area, I'm wondering if the Office
> setup has retained some knowledge about the missing drive and is refusing to
> play as a result?

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Mar 21, 2006, 2:20:00 AM3/21/06
Office 2003 Update fails to install with error 0x80070643
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=42&ln=en&IsMu=False
You receive error 0x80070643 when you are installing Office 2003 Updates. Updates fail to install
because ose service is disabled or cannot be started. Applicable Office versions: Office 2003

You receive an "Error 80070643" error message when you try to update Office 2003 by using Software
Update Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=903772

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
"Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

Mark

Mar 21, 2006, 3:39:40 AM3/21/06
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone and JCO said

> I also have some that have updated just fine, but the 3-listed ...
> always fail. Going back to Windows Update, I was able to find the
> error code: Error Code: 0x80070643
> Not sure what this code means. I know my issue has nothing to do
> with a "drive" acting up. I don't have that issue. Good luck with
> yours... while I research my error code.

I am having exactly the same problem... Same 3 updates KB905756, KB913807
and KB913161
yet other install fine

"Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643:"

If you find a fix let me know

Furry Mark

Mar 21, 2006, 9:52:27 AM3/21/06
That worked a treat - Thank you very much!

The MSOCache location was on the failed drive (I guess it got chosen because
that drive had the most free space at the time) - moved it to the boot drive
and all three updates applied without any problems.

Thanks again.

JCO

Mar 21, 2006, 12:59:08 PM3/21/06
It appears that this problem goes away for most people when they go to the
Service area and start "Office Source Engine". In my case, I have started
this service and the updates still DO NOT INSTALL. These are files that I
have downloaded separately and I've tried thru the Update Feature. In both
cases, it fails. When it fails as an independent update (downloaded file)
it gives no log or no reason for the failure. When it fails from the MS
Update Window, it gives Error Code: 0x80070643

"Mark" <com@dad@hot...@com.vf> wrote in message

JCO

Mar 21, 2006, 1:11:18 PM3/21/06
Not that I needed to run this tool but I did anyway.
The tool itself gave me Error Code: 80070002
I guess I won't worry about this since my original error code, from the
Update, is not 0x52F.

As I read on, it appears that Furry Mark has resolved his problem. Great
that is good news.

Now if I can only resolve Error Code: 0x80070643 (knowing that the "Office
Source Engine" was started and running. When looking at all processes
running, I see OSE in the list.

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" <taurarian...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mark

Mar 21, 2006, 4:49:49 PM3/21/06
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone and JCO said
> It appears that this problem goes away for most people when they go
> to the Service area and start "Office Source Engine". In my case, I
> have started this service and the updates still DO NOT INSTALL.
> These are files that I have downloaded separately and I've tried thru
> the Update Feature. In both cases, it fails. When it fails as an
> independent update (downloaded file) it gives no log or no reason for
> the failure. When it fails from the MS Update Window, it gives Error
> Code: 0x80070643

I too have looked at the services and the paths issues but to no avail.. I
uninstalled office, re installed and re aplied all updates and ALL is now
better... However I notice that Visio updates give me the same error...

If I can not find the common cause, it looks like an un install and re
install.... WHAT a pain

JCO

Mar 21, 2006, 5:43:12 PM3/21/06
I'm thinking the same thing.
I will try the uninstall tomorrow and see what happens. I'm not using the
Visio so that won't be an issue. I just hope another update, later down the
road, wont have the same issue.

If it all happens again, I will go back to Office 2002 (XP) which I have
also.

I'm wondering if something is missing in the Registry???

"Mark" <com@dad@hot...@com.vf> wrote in message

JCO

Mar 24, 2006, 5:20:13 PM3/24/06
Ada Pan - has resolved my issue (from the public.office.setup newsgroup)
He suggested the following:

Step 1: Rename Office subkeys
====================

Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

1. Close all the applications.
2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

4. Right click on 11.0 and rename them to Old11.
5. Close the Registry Editor.

Step 2: Detect and Repair Office 2003
======================

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click Change/Remove Programs on the left pane.
4. Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on the right pane
and click Change.
5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
6. Select "Reinstall and Repair" and click Next.
7. Select "Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation".
8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

Step 3: Install Updates
===============

Please try to install the updates from your local disk to check the updates
can be successfully installed.

If the suggestions above don't help, it seems that the simply reparation of
Office cannot make up all the damaged Office components. The most
efficient and simplest way to correct such a problem is manually remove and
reinstall Office. By this way, all possible damaged registry keys or
components will be rebuilt. Please take your time to try the suggestion of
Remove and Reinstall Office and then check if the issue recurs.

Now I just have to hope that the problem won't happen again. Wanted to
share this resolution to everyone.
Thank-you everyone for your suggestions.
JCO