Automatic updates 6.2007 freezing computer

Computers@discussions.microsoft.com MLD Computers

Jun 20, 2007, 7:41:47 PM6/20/07
I have 2 AMD (3200+ and a 64bit 3500+) computers that after installing
automatic updates the computer hangs - mouse moves, clock stops, numlock key
changes light, all windows say 'not responding'. Have to hold power-button
or kill power. They will even hang/freeze like this at the welcome screen.

Roll back both to 6.1.2007 (safe mode/administrator/system restore).

Automatic updates runs and installs:
KB935839
KB935840
KB929123
KB933566
Automatic updates automagically restarts the computer and boom- freeze.

Not freezing on Intel CPU's (that I have seen yet), and one computer has
nvidia video, 1 has ATI. Both are windows XP Home w/SP2.

Work around: turn off automatic updates and notification.

hughg

Jun 22, 2007, 8:47:00 AM6/22/07
I have a similar hang on my AMD 64 bit computer. I have tried restoring to
before the latest update but I still hang on restart. I have the the latest
WindowsUpdateAgent (KB927891). I would appreciate any help as this is getting
very tedious. I had problems last year with WGA until MS issued an update.

hughseee

Jun 22, 2007, 9:07:00 PM6/22/07

"MLD Computers" wrote:

I have a similar problem with an nvidia based amd system. I diagnosed the
problem to be tha windows automatic updater service. I have gone into
SERVICES and set the automatic updates to DISABLED. My machine works fine. As
soon as I enable auto updates it freezes. Mouse moves ect, but no
"clickability". Hope this helps

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jun 23, 2007, 4:05:08 AM6/23/07
hughseee <hugh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a similar problem with an nvidia based amd system. I diagnosed
> the problem to be tha windows automatic updater service. I have gone
> into SERVICES and set the automatic updates to DISABLED. My machine
> works fine. As soon as I enable auto updates it freezes. Mouse moves
> ect, but no "clickability".

This is a known issue with known solutions.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494
Apply both the 927891 update and the UpdateClient v3, as linked there.

In addition, if you have an nForce chipset, update the nForce chipset
drivers from www.nvidia.com

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rd...@cam.ac.uk

Anthony

Jun 24, 2007, 5:49:00 PM6/24/07
I have exactly same problem. And I did everything that you suggested. Still
got this problem.

laurens....@solcon.nl

Jun 26, 2007, 2:59:40 PM6/26/07
On 23 jun, 10:05, "Robin Walker [MVP]" <r...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> hughseee <hughs...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have a similar problem with an nvidia based amd system. I diagnosed
> > the problem to be tha windows automatic updater service. I have gone
> > into SERVICES and set the automatic updates to DISABLED. My machine
> > works fine. As soon as I enable auto updates it freezes. Mouse moves
> > ect, but no "clickability".
>
> This is a known issue with known solutions.
> Seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494

> Apply both the 927891 update and the UpdateClient v3, as linked there.
>
> In addition, if you have an nForce chipset, update the nForce chipset
> drivers fromwww.nvidia.com
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> r...@cam.ac.uk

Yes, Robin, there is a known issue with Windows Update causing the
computer to "hang". But the problem I am also experiencing (also an
AMD / nVidia system) is different; there is no process using 100% CPU
but the screen just freezes. At first you are still able to move the
mouse cursor, but not across the task bar, until you double-click
something.
This problem appears to be caused by a "SelfUpdate" for Windows
Update, which installs Windows Update version 7.0.6000.374 (check the
"WindowsUpdate.log" file in your Windows folder). This new version of
Windows Update is also the solution to be installed by the KB entries
you referred to. It is like getting a medicine against headache (while
you don't suffer from it), but the medicine causes a headache. The
only thing to do is swith automatic updates Off and also make sure the
Automatic Updates service doesn't start.
I have a second computer, an Intel-based notebook with a SIS chipset,
which received the same updates and works fine.

Now, since the problem seems to be specific for AMD and/or nVidia
based computers, the question is, whom can we expect a solution from?
Microsoft for a fix to Windows Update, or AMD / nVidia for updated
drivers?

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jun 26, 2007, 4:38:37 PM6/26/07
laurens....@solcon.nl wrote:

> Yes, Robin, there is a known issue with Windows Update causing the
> computer to "hang". But the problem I am also experiencing (also an
> AMD / nVidia system) is different; there is no process using 100% CPU
> but the screen just freezes. At first you are still able to move the
> mouse cursor, but not across the task bar, until you double-click
> something.
> This problem appears to be caused by a "SelfUpdate" for Windows
> Update, which installs Windows Update version 7.0.6000.374 (check the
> "WindowsUpdate.log" file in your Windows folder). This new version of
> Windows Update is also the solution to be installed by the KB entries
> you referred to. It is like getting a medicine against headache (while
> you don't suffer from it), but the medicine causes a headache. The
> only thing to do is swith automatic updates Off and also make sure the
> Automatic Updates service doesn't start.
> I have a second computer, an Intel-based notebook with a SIS chipset,
> which received the same updates and works fine.
>
> Now, since the problem seems to be specific for AMD and/or nVidia
> based computers, the question is, whom can we expect a solution from?

It's possibly an nVidia chipset driver problem. Ensure that you have the
very latest nForce chipset drivers from trhe nVidia site.

Also check for BIOS updates from the PC vendor.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]

rd...@cam.ac.uk

Kenneth

Mar 19, 2008, 5:04:02 PM3/19/08
My brother inlaws computer which is nearly identical to my wifes computer is
having the same problem, my wifes computer runs fine. Both AMD 5600+ with
nvidia chipset. I have contacted windows tech support about a month ago with
no response. This is the first time a search on the forums has come up even
though it is an old thread. I'm going down this weekend to work on it some
more, update drivers etc... any suggestions or hints on where to look for
problems should this re-occur? Updates currently disabled for a temp fix.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 19, 2008, 10:44:26 PM3/19/08
Please begin a new thread about /your/ problems, Kenneth. Please see this
page http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm for information we'd need to be able to
assist you properly.
Or you (or your BIL) may want to...

Support for Windows Update: