Re: Update KB925902 has disabled the AVG control centre

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 3, 2007, 2:19:56 PM4/3/07
"Demon" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I've just had the update noted above installed and upon rebooting the AVG
> control centre will not start as the error that comes up states that the file
> user32.dll was written to memory because the file
> C:\windows\system32\shell.dll (I can exactly remember if it was shell.dll or
> shell32.dll was the file in question) was written to memory that is allocated
> for windows dll's (although not all of those words are correct)

Hm, you're running a Personal Firewall Saftware (i.e. ZoneAlarm) too?
I would give uninstalling AVG and reinstalling it *after* a reboot of
Windows a try.

Bye,
Freudi

Jordan Russell

Apr 3, 2007, 2:30:46 PM4/3/07
Demon wrote:
> I've just had the update noted above installed and upon rebooting the AVG
> control centre will not start as the error that comes up states that the file
> user32.dll was written to memory because the file
> C:\windows\system32\shell.dll (I can exactly remember if it was shell.dll or
> shell32.dll was the file in question) was written to memory that is allocated
> for windows dll's (although not all of those words are correct) which means
> that without the control centre for my anti-virus running I'm not fully
> protected and I can't get any updates for it in the future and the only thing
> I can do at this moment is to remove the offending update untill this update
> is fixed.

Yup, there's definitely something wrong with this update.
On one of my XP machines, I now get this message on every boot:

"RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation : The system DLL user32.dll
was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The
relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX
occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor
supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

RTHDCPL.EXE is the Realtek sound driver control panel.

I wonder how soon we can expect a fix...

--
Jordan Russell

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 3, 2007, 2:41:23 PM4/3/07
"Jordan Russell" <j...@nospam.nospam> schrieb:

> Yup, there's definitely something wrong with this update.

Not really. And yes, you really *don't* want to uninstall the
update, believe me.

> On one of my XP machines, I now get this message on every boot:
>
> "RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925902/en-us
There's until now one issue mentioned related to the Realtek HD
Audio Control Panel. There's even a hotfix mentioned in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us - you have to call MS
Support to get a download link for that one.

Bye,
Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 3, 2007, 2:45:10 PM4/3/07
"Demon" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I'm not using a personal firewall just the one that comes with standard with
> xpsp2 but I'll give your suddestion a try anyway and see if it helps but if
> it doesn't then I'm gonna have to say bye-bye bad update

Since KB925902 fixes a very, very big security hole which threatens users
not having KB925902 installed potentially on very website, reading any mail
and much more, you should IMHO reconsider that. I *don't* recommend unin-
stalling KB925902 in *any* case!

Maybe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us fixes the issue you ran
into too, if the reinstallation of AVG doesn't do the trick.

Bye,
Freudi

Donna Buenaventura

Apr 3, 2007, 2:42:03 PM4/3/07
That's one of the known issue. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925902

"Jordan Russell" <j...@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Robyn

Apr 3, 2007, 3:04:03 PM4/3/07
I am getting it as well, and I use a realtek driver which is not functioning
at the moment.

I guess we all have to click this link and ask Microsoft kindly to give us
that link to fix this problem the newest update gave us!!

So use this link and contact them

"Karl Pech" wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a similar problem with this update. I just installed it.
> After the reboot i got the following error box where
> I can only press 'OK':
>

> ###
> RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegales Verschieben einer System-DLL
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Die System-DLL "user.dll" wurde im Speicher verschoben.
> Die Anwendung wird nicht einwandfrei ausgeführt. Die Datei wurde
> verschoben, da die DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX"
> einen Adressbereich belegt, der für Windows-System-DLLs
> reserviert ist. Besorgen Sie sich vom DLL-Lieferanten eine neue DLL.
> ###
>

> I will try to translate it to English:
>

> ###
> RTHDCPL.EXE - illegal movement of a system dll
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The system dll "user.dll" was moved in memory.
> the application is not working properly. the file was moved
> ,because the dll "C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX"
> is occupying address space, which is reserved for windows system
> dlls. Get a new dll from your dll-supplier.
> ###
>
> I don't use any Anti-Virus/Firewall-Software (except the Windows SP2
> built-in
> Firewall), so I don't know why this error occures now?
>
> I tried to reboot but the error stays.
>

> I search for rthdcpl.exe on my system: If I go to system control
> ("Systemsteuerung") where is an Icon called "Realtek HD Sound Effect
> Manager".
> If i double-click on it, nothing happens; it doesn't work anymore;
> And its icon also disappeared from the system tray. ;-(
>

> (Maybe this update can be fixed with an other update?)
>

> With kind regards
> Karl

Donna Buenaventura

Apr 3, 2007, 3:16:39 PM4/3/07
You could try to repair AVG. Reinstall only if repair will not fix the AVG
control center.

Donna
"Demon" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 3, 2007, 3:40:47 PM4/3/07
"Fridgeman" <Frid...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> It would appear that we have a bad update,

Nope, a very, very important one which does not fix all potential
side effects.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us for a hotfix.

Bye,
Freudi

chad...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2007, 5:50:32 PM4/3/07
On Apr 3, 9:04 pm, Robyn <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am getting it as well, and I use a realtek driver which is not functioning
> at the moment.
>
> I guess we all have to click this link and ask Microsoft kindly to give us
> that link to fix this problem the newest update gave us!!
>
> So use this link and contact themhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us

> --
> Robyn
>

> "Karl Pech" wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have a similar problem with this update. I just installed it.
> > After the reboot i got the following error box where
> > I can only press 'OK':
>
> > ###
> > RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegales Verschieben einerSystem-DLL
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > DieSystem-DLL"user.dll" wurde im Speicher verschoben.

> > Die Anwendung wird nicht einwandfrei ausgeführt. Die Datei wurde
> > verschoben, da dieDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX"

> > einen Adressbereich belegt, der fürWindows-System-DLLs
> > reserviert ist. Besorgen Sie sich vomDLL-Lieferanten eine neueDLL.
> > ###
>
> > I will try to translate it to English:
>
> > ###
> > RTHDCPL.EXE - illegal movement of asystemdll
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Thesystemdll"user.dll" was moved in memory.

> > the application is not working properly. the file was moved
> > ,because thedll"C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX"

> > is occupyingaddressspace, which isreservedforwindowssystem
> > dlls. Get a newdllfrom yourdll-supplier.
> > ###
>
> > I don't use any Anti-Virus/Firewall-Software (except theWindowsSP2
> > built-in
> > Firewall), so I don't know why this error occures now?
>
> > I tried to reboot but the error stays.
>
> > I search for rthdcpl.exe on mysystem: If I go tosystemcontrol
> > ("Systemsteuerung") where is an Icon called "Realtek HD Sound Effect
> > Manager".
> > If i double-click on it, nothing happens; it doesn't work anymore;
> > And its icon also disappeared from thesystemtray. ;-(

> > (Maybe this update can be fixed with an other update?)
>
> > With kind regards
> > Karl- Hide quoted text -

hi there
same problem guys with this update and real tek.....
any suggestions?
what if i uninstall the update?
thnxs

PA Bear

Apr 3, 2007, 6:04:55 PM4/3/07
chad...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 3, 9:04 pm, Robyn <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I am getting it as well, and I use a realtek driver which is not
>> functioning at the moment.
>>
>> I guess we all have to click this link and ask Microsoft kindly to give
>> us
>> that link to fix this problem the newest update gave us!!
>>
>> So use this link and contact
>> them http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

[Does anybody /read/ these replies?]

See:

The Realtek HD Audio Control Panel may not start, and you receive an error
message when you start the computer: "Illegal System DLL Relocation":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

PA Bear

Apr 4, 2007, 12:59:54 PM4/4/07
AVG AV /does/ have a Repair option. It was used to upgrade from AVG AV v7.1
to v7.5, Demon.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Demon wrote:
<snip>
> And one other thing AVG anti-virus doesn't have a repair feature so it's
> just leave it as it is or remove the whole thing

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 4, 2007, 1:08:29 PM4/4/07
"Demon" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>> Since KB925902 fixes a very, very big security hole which threatens users
>> not having KB925902 installed potentially on very website, reading any mail
>> and much more, you should IMHO reconsider that. I *don't* recommend unin-
>> stalling KB925902 in *any* case!
>>
>> Maybe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us fixes the issue you ran
>> into too, if the reinstallation of AVG doesn't do the trick.

> That fix won't work as is deals with a completely different conflict then
> what I'm dealing with since it's a completely different file that causes the
> AVG control centre to not work properly

Have you even *tried* installing it? It most likely *will* fix the
issue you see.

> so I've dumped the update

The worst ideas of all, if you ask me.

Bye,
Freudi
--
Macht euer Windows sicherer: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com - jetzt!
http://www.microsoft.com/germany/sicherheit/

PA Bear

Apr 4, 2007, 9:04:34 PM4/4/07
I'm running AVG Free v7.5 in WinXP SP2 here, I've installed 925902, and I'm
not getting any errors, AVG AV-related or otherwise.
--
~PA Bear

Demon wrote:

>>> That fix won't work as is deals with a completely different conflict
>>> then
>>> what I'm dealing with since it's a completely different file that causes
>>> the AVG control centre to not work properly
>>
>> Have you even *tried* installing it? It most likely *will* fix the
>> issue you see.
>>

> Actually it doesn't as it only fixes the problem with the Hhctrl.ocx file
> and NOT the shell32.dll file (and that is the correct filename) that is
> causing the AVG control centre not to run properly so I've now wasted even
> more time restoring and reinstalling this faulty update and then applying
> this useless hotfix which I didn't even need in the first place and to be
> honest I'm going to be partily rebuilding this computer in a few months
> and
> I don't want a gaping security hole in it when it's done so microsoft had
> better cough up a hotfix for shell32.dll and they'd better make it quick.

>>> so I've dumped the update
>>
>> The worst ideas of all, if you ask me.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Freudi
>> --
>> Macht euer Windows sicherer: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com - jetzt!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/germany/sicherheit/

>> Infos zu aktuellen Patches für IE, OE und WinXP: http://patch-info.de

>> Letzte Aktualisierung: IE - 13.02.07 / OE - 12.12.06 / WinXP - 03.04.07
>>

> And just FYI I'm using the free edition of AVG and the only option I get
> when I went to uninstall it is to uninstall it

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 4, 2007, 11:03:00 PM4/4/07
"Demon" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

[KB935448]

>> > That fix won't work as is deals with a completely different conflict then
>> > what I'm dealing with since it's a completely different file that causes the
>> > AVG control centre to not work properly
>>
>> Have you even *tried* installing it? It most likely *will* fix the
>> issue you see.
>>

> Actually it doesn't as it only fixes the problem with the Hhctrl.ocx file
> and NOT the shell32.dll file (and that is the correct filename)

*Please* install KB935448 and complain afterwards if it doesn't resolve
the issue you ran into.

FWIW I've made the same observation as PA Bear did:
AVG Free 7.5 with KB925902 (plus KB935448) installed and *no* problems
what so ever. This may be based on the fact that I don't have Resident
Shield and E-Mail Scanner installed since I'm using the On Access
scanning downloaded/received files in front of opening them anyhow.

> And just FYI I'm using the free edition of AVG and the only option I get
> when I went to uninstall it is to uninstall it

Uninstalling and reinstalling afterwards may be an alternative, as I've
mentioned before.

Bye,
Freudi

Demon

Apr 5, 2007, 3:52:02 AM4/5/07

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "Demon" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> [KB935448]
> >>
> >> Have you even *tried* installing it? It most likely *will* fix the
> >> issue you see.
> >>
> > Actually it doesn't as it only fixes the problem with the Hhctrl.ocx file
> > and NOT the shell32.dll file (and that is the correct filename)
>
> *Please* install KB935448 and complain afterwards if it doesn't resolve
> the issue you ran into.

I DID install KB935448 and it only contained one file and that was the
Hhctrl.ocx which wouldn't help since I don't have realtek HD audio on this
computer and I'm not even using the onboard sound anymore (I'm using a
creative X-fi Xtreme audio soundcard if that would even help)

> FWIW I've made the same observation as PA Bear did:
> AVG Free 7.5 with KB925902 (plus KB935448) installed and *no* problems
> what so ever. This may be based on the fact that I don't have Resident
> Shield and E-Mail Scanner installed since I'm using the On Access
> scanning downloaded/received files in front of opening them anyhow.
>
> > And just FYI I'm using the free edition of AVG and the only option I get
> > when I went to uninstall it is to uninstall it
>
> Uninstalling and reinstalling afterwards may be an alternative, as I've
> mentioned before.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

The only way I'm going to find out if this is correct is to update my
fathers media centre laptop since that has both AVG 7.5 free edition and
realtek HD audio so if the update on that only has the Hhctrl.ocx problem
then the problem boils down to a bug in my computer which will probably be
sorted out once I've rebuilt my computer although I'll be downloading the
latest build of AVG 7.5 free edition just to be on the safe side.
And also I did reinstall AVG and as soon as avgcc.exe (which is the
programme file for the control centre) tried to start up it came back with
the same error and just to make a point the control centre has to be on so I
can get all the updates (and I have everything turned on in AVG)

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 6, 2007, 3:39:23 AM4/6/07
"Demon" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> KB935448 and it only contained one file and that was the
> Hhctrl.ocx

Sure, and KB925902 does *not* contain an new version of shell32.dll
so what?

Entry #544 in http://www.grisoft.com/doc/59/us/crp/0 may surprise
you.

Bye,
Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 6, 2007, 4:47:56 AM4/6/07
"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> schrieb:

> Entry #544 in http://www.grisoft.com/doc/59/us/crp/0 may surprise
> you.

Direct link: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/51/us/crp/0/num/544#faq_544

Bye,
Freudi

PA Bear

Apr 6, 2007, 12:06:17 PM4/6/07

<VBEG>
--
~Robear

Tom

Apr 8, 2007, 10:10:19 AM4/8/07

I had the described problems with 3 PC today.

2 of mine had a Realtek onbord soundchip and the problem could be solved withh the newest driver from Realtek website. Pretty long download, there must be a lot of trouble with it in the last days.

My problem occurs with avgcc.exe and I am still looking for a solution. Maybe I change to another freeware viirus scanner for the time being.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

PA Bear

Apr 8, 2007, 10:16:32 AM4/8/07