windows update as a red x

knownothing

Jan 2, 2010, 2:59:01 PM1/2/10
I have windows vista. when i open windows update it has a red x inside the
shield thing. i click on check for updates. it says "windows update cannot
currently check for updates, because the service is not running. you may need
to restart your computer." i have restarted my computer plenty of times and
nothing works. also, i have clicked the button that says install updates and
then shuts down the computer but it shuts down before the updates start
installing. the last update i installed was in october. any suggestions?

Shenan Stanley

Jan 2, 2010, 3:06:09 PM1/2/10

Please be very specific when giving your OS information (BTW - I appreciate
you gave any information on your OS at all!) - here's some tips on how to
get very specific:

You can obtain and supply the edition and version information:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

All that can be important in solving your specific issues.

Since I do not yet have this information from you, I can only suggest
some basic stuff and some stuff with caveats that you will have to
determine (based off the information you collect and share using the
above methods) which you need/should/could do.

Basic stuff:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

You also should run a full CHKDSK and defragmentation.

Windows Vista CHKDSK:
http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-vista-chkdsk.html

Windows Vista Defragmentation:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Improve-performance-by-defragmenting-your-hard-disk

Continue by fixing your Windows Update system...

32-bit Operating System:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

64-bit Windows Vista:

Download, install and run...

System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Try to get updates.

Come back and let us know.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

knownothing

Jan 2, 2010, 5:19:01 PM1/2/10
it worked!! thank you so much!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 2, 2010, 6:23:46 PM1/2/10
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

knownothing

Jan 2, 2010, 7:32:01 PM1/2/10
i have mcafee. but all i had to do was to reset Windows Update components. i
did that and then the windows update worked and i was able to install the 19
waiting downloads

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 2, 2010, 8:47:26 PM1/2/10
kewl

Mark

Jan 28, 2010, 2:59:01 PM1/28/10
I have Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Version 6.0 (Build 6002: Service
Pack 2)

I have Windows Internet Explorer 8, Version 8.0.6001.18882

I tried all of the steps mentioned in this article but I still get the same
red X.

What do I need to do to solve the update problem?
Mark