Re: IE screwed up after 9 windows updates today

1 view

Unk

Oct 12, 2005, 12:37:06 AM10/12/05
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:19:02 -0700, "lightfxboy" <light...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yeah I'm having problems after the I completed the 9 updates this evening as
>well.
>When I rebooted my computer, I keep getting error messages stating I am
>missing ATL.DLL and some programs wont operate properly.
>I've tried to run System Restore, but it won't even run because of this
>missing file.
>I wasnt having any problems until these new Updates from Microsoft were
>downloaded and installed...
>
>PLEASE HELP!!!
>

>"neal007" wrote:
>
>> I can't view FLASH any more.
>>
>> Windows Update site won't load
>>
>> InstallShield 11 won't load
>>
>> Outlook 2003 TODAY page won't show
>>
>> This is consistent among two machines, both updated with today's updates
>> (Windows XP Pro .Latest)

ATL.DLL belongs in the C:\Windows\System32\ folder. There is a copy of it in the
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\ folder. Just do a copy & paste, and reboot.
Copy & Paste the following to the Start, Run box:

copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\ATL.DLL C:\Windows\System32\

neal007

Oct 12, 2005, 12:48:04 AM10/12/05
I uninstalled KB896688 (Cumulative Security Update for IE for Windows XP) and
my problems went away. For me (on my two XP Pro systems) this KB update
killed IE and applications that use IE for its interface, such as
InstallShield 11.

This KB needs to be recalled ASAP!

kilbot

Oct 12, 2005, 1:22:31 AM10/12/05
Thanks for that fix neal007.

I had problems with Firefox after installing the Windows updates. Flash
was not showing, some background images were not showing and even the
Microsoft style sheets were not coming through... when I try to link to
the images directly it said "file not found" even when I knew it was
there (and could be viewed in IE).

The problems were fixed after uninstalling KB896688. There is
definitely something buggy with this patch.

Sam

Oct 12, 2005, 2:00:13 AM10/12/05
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:48:04 -0700, "neal007"
<nea...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I uninstalled KB896688 (Cumulative Security Update for IE for Windows XP) and
>my problems went away. For me (on my two XP Pro systems) this KB update
>killed IE and applications that use IE for its interface, such as
>InstallShield 11.
>
>This KB needs to be recalled ASAP!

I wonder if that explains why ActiveSync died after I installed the
updates today. It refused to synch with my PDA. Uninstalling all the
updates fixed the problem. I may try reinstalling them, except
KB896688 to see what happens.

Sam

PA Bear

Oct 12, 2005, 1:59:27 AM10/12/05
No problems here (WinXP SP2 on two machines) with 896688.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Alias

Oct 12, 2005, 7:47:26 AM10/12/05

"neal007" <nea...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I can't view FLASH any more.

I can.

> Windows Update site won't load

Mine does on three computers.

> InstallShield 11 won't load

Mine does.

> Outlook 2003 TODAY page won't show

Office 2003 sucks.

> This is consistent among two machines, both updated with today's updates
> (Windows XP Pro .Latest)

The only update I did not update was the Malicious Tool. Hmmmm, never do in
fact.

Did you disable your AV auto scan before installing?

Alias

Alias

Oct 12, 2005, 7:49:42 AM10/12/05

"kilbot" <paul.ki...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I wonder why I had no problems. The only thing I didn't download and install
was the Malicious Removal Tool. Did you disable your AV's auto scan before
installing?

Alias

Alias

Oct 12, 2005, 8:17:19 AM10/12/05
Start/Control Pane/Add Remove Program. Tick where it says "Show Updates" at
the top right of the window. Click on the update and then on remove.

That said, I have it installed and have no problems on three computers.

Alias

"oknowhi" <okn...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> HOW do I UNINSTALL KB896688 ? where do I go to unistall one of htese
> downloads?? It has screwed up my IE6 also, etc. Thanks. DAN

> "neal007" wrote:
>
>> I can't view FLASH any more.
>>

>> Windows Update site won't load
>>

>> InstallShield 11 won't load
>>

>> Outlook 2003 TODAY page won't show

oknowhi

Oct 12, 2005, 9:23:01 AM10/12/05
Thanks. :)

Alias

Oct 12, 2005, 9:56:48 AM10/12/05
You're welcome.

Alias
"oknowhi" <okn...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

Chopper

Oct 12, 2005, 11:30:12 AM10/12/05
I installed all 9 updates. Norton and MSNtool bar stopped working. When I
uninstalled KB902400 everythink was ok (so far!).
--
JDW

"DBuckner" wrote:

> I have this problem also. =( Any fix for this MS??

oknowhi

Oct 12, 2005, 11:48:07 AM10/12/05
I have WinXP SP2. When I intsalled all the updates today my IE was screwed
up. There were no drop down memu items on top toolbar showing but they would
drop down if I scrolled over them, my start menu lost all its small icons,
any folders I went to showed icons only and I could not change it back to
list like I normally have them, and a few other things were "changed" I don't
remember. So after reading the posts here, I UNINSTALLED all of the days
updates ( I had 8 of them) and then reinstalled one by one (this time with my
AV off) except I did not reinstall KB896688( only downloaded and saved it).

Everything is back to normal on my system now. I am a bit afarid to try to
reinstall 896688 again but may later. At least I know if I UNINSTALL my
system returns to normal.

I was hoping if there was an error in it that MS would send out a correction.

DBuckner

Oct 12, 2005, 1:31:14 PM10/12/05
I have found the same as Tom. Removing KB896688 corrects the Windows Update
issue & also Outlook Today 2003. The other machines I have that I have
installed KB896688 on seams fine, but they also have Office XP and not 2003
installed.

I removed KB896688 to have everything back to normal. I then tried
installing it again and everything was broke. I have uninstalled it for now
to keep things working.

Dave

"Tom" wrote:

> I have the same problem. I narrowed the problem down to the KB896688 update.
> IE works properly if I uninstall this update. It has only happened on one of
> my three XP pro systems with SP2. The other two are working fine with the
> update.

Ian Easson

Oct 12, 2005, 2:01:03 PM10/12/05
When I installed all the updates, I was unable to use Windows Update or
Microsoft update, because it said that I had to enable user persitance on the
Security tab. When I checked, it was enabled. There was a link to further
solutions in some knowledge base items. None of the solutions worked. I
rolled back to before installing yesterday's updates, and all worked again.
I then installed all but the KB896688 update (cumulative IE update), thinking
this was the culprit. However, I still have the problem. At this point, I
am going to back out of all yesterday's updates so I can get some real work
done.

oknowhi

Oct 12, 2005, 2:47:10 PM10/12/05
What I finally did was went to KB896688 on MS downloads site and thne DL it
from there to SAVE and then decided to try it again installing from my own
computer and MY IE and computer all works fine. I also made sure I had my AV
disabled this timewhen saving it and when installing it withnothing else
running or open. I think what happened when trying to DL all 8 from WIN
Update something got corrupted in the process of DL or installation.

Prior to that after uninstalling all 8 of them I installed one at a time but
from the costume update option, no express. And then as I said I went to the
main site to find it and DL to SAVE there. Then waited an hour and insatlled
it and now all of them are installed and my computer is running fine.

:)

oknowhi

Oct 12, 2005, 3:00:03 PM10/12/05
Now if I could only type and spell correctly !!!

DBuckner

Oct 12, 2005, 5:17:08 PM10/12/05
Well after 2 hours of removing updates and adding them one at a time, then
downloading KB896688 from support.microsoft.com and installing it I get the
same issue as before. I wish this did the trick for me as well. =(

Dave

Sam

Oct 12, 2005, 8:44:13 PM10/12/05
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:00:13 -0700, Sam <ret...@home.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:48:04 -0700, "neal007"
><nea...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I uninstalled KB896688 (Cumulative Security Update for IE for Windows XP) and
>>my problems went away. For me (on my two XP Pro systems) this KB update
>>killed IE and applications that use IE for its interface, such as
>>InstallShield 11.
>>
>>This KB needs to be recalled ASAP!
>
>I wonder if that explains why ActiveSync died after I installed the
>updates today. It refused to synch with my PDA. Uninstalling all the
>updates fixed the problem. I may try reinstalling them, except
>KB896688 to see what happens.
>
>Sam

I finally figured out that the problem was the update KB902400. Once
this update was uninstalled, ActiveSync now works.

PA Bear

Oct 13, 2005, 1:30:19 AM10/13/05
Sam wrote:
<snip>

>> I wonder if that explains why ActiveSync died after I installed the
>> updates today. It refused to synch with my PDA. Uninstalling all the
>> updates fixed the problem. I may try reinstalling them, except
>> KB896688 to see what happens.
>>
> I finally figured out that the problem was the update KB902400. Once
> this update was uninstalled, ActiveSync now works.

You may want to rethink this after reading...

SANS - Internet Storm Center - Cooperative Cyber Threat Monitor And
Alert System - Current Infosec News and Analysis:
http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=759

Sam

Oct 13, 2005, 2:54:06 AM10/13/05
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:30:19 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Sam wrote:
><snip>
>>> I wonder if that explains why ActiveSync died after I installed the
>>> updates today. It refused to synch with my PDA. Uninstalling all the
>>> updates fixed the problem. I may try reinstalling them, except
>>> KB896688 to see what happens.
>>>
>> I finally figured out that the problem was the update KB902400. Once
>> this update was uninstalled, ActiveSync now works.
>
>You may want to rethink this after reading...
>
>SANS - Internet Storm Center - Cooperative Cyber Threat Monitor And
>Alert System - Current Infosec News and Analysis:
>http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=759

I will reinstall it, once I can figure out how to get around the
security restrictions it imposes on my XP, sp2 system. With it
installed, it prevents me not only from synching my PDA, but from
installing new support software. (It prevented me from putting in a
new video driver). Until then, I'll have to take my chances.

If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to reconsider.

Sam

Thrain

Oct 13, 2005, 10:11:09 AM10/13/05
SAME PROBLEM HERE!
Installed KB896688 and then went back to windows update and he
complained about the fact I didn't have the right activex control.
Every program that uses an activex control in IE didn't work anymore.
Uninstalled it and everything works again.

thebridge

Oct 14, 2005, 12:19:25 AM10/14/05
My computers problems persist as well.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Oct 14, 2005, 1:33:08 PM10/14/05
You know.... I may have an 'issue' here... albeit not caused by the KB896688
update, because I've not installed it yet, but I do have the KB902400 update
installed.

I'm working with Virtual Server on another system, and last night I
attempted to access the Virtual Server Admin Console from this client. When
putting a running session into remote control mode, the website is supposed
to install an ActiveX control to support that functionality. But the ActiveX
control would not even initiate the installation!

I'm going to uninstall the KB902400 update from this system and see if
that's related. Stay tuned.

"Thrain" <vleuge...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Oct 14, 2005, 2:31:48 PM10/14/05

I have just confirmed that KB902400 /IS/ interfering with my ability to
execute the Virtual Server 2005 Remote Control ActiveX control when
installed on my XP SP2 system. I uninstalled the update, rebooted, and
accessed the VSRC facility, and it worked without complaint.

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <onsitech...@news.postalias> wrote in message

Sam

Oct 14, 2005, 3:27:35 PM10/14/05
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:31:48 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<onsitech...@news.postalias> wrote:

>I have just confirmed that KB902400 /IS/ interfering with my ability to
>execute the Virtual Server 2005 Remote Control ActiveX control when
>installed on my XP SP2 system. I uninstalled the update, rebooted, and
>accessed the VSRC facility, and it worked without complaint.

Do you think that could be related to why my ActiveSync fails to work
and I have trouble installing some software while it's installed? If
so, then why are only some installations affected?

Sam

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Oct 14, 2005, 4:05:33 PM10/14/05

It all boils down to changes the update made in the COM+ system.. I'm sure.

It appears to be an ActiveX problem because the ActiveX controls are
probably calling COM+ components, and those calls are failing, resulting in
the failure of the ActiveX control.

It may well be the same issue with ActiveSync, if active sync is making a
call to a COM+ component that is failing. The manifestation visible to the
user would be that the /application/ is failing, when, in reality, it's the
component behind the application that is failing.

As to why only 'some' are affected.... I don't have an answer for that one,
but I'm sure there's a commonality in the configurations.

"Sam" <ret...@home.net> wrote in message

Sam

Oct 14, 2005, 5:13:31 PM10/14/05
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:05:33 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<onsitech...@news.postalias> wrote:

>It all boils down to changes the update made in the COM+ system.. I'm sure.
>
>It appears to be an ActiveX problem because the ActiveX controls are
>probably calling COM+ components, and those calls are failing, resulting in
>the failure of the ActiveX control.
>
>It may well be the same issue with ActiveSync, if active sync is making a
>call to a COM+ component that is failing. The manifestation visible to the
>user would be that the /application/ is failing, when, in reality, it's the
>component behind the application that is failing.
>
>As to why only 'some' are affected.... I don't have an answer for that one,
>but I'm sure there's a commonality in the configurations.
>
>"Sam" <ret...@home.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:31:48 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
>> <onsitech...@news.postalias> wrote:
>>

>>>I have just confirmed that KB902400 /IS/ interfering with my ability to
>>>execute the Virtual Server 2005 Remote Control ActiveX control when
>>>installed on my XP SP2 system. I uninstalled the update, rebooted, and
>>>accessed the VSRC facility, and it worked without complaint.
>>
>> Do you think that could be related to why my ActiveSync fails to work
>> and I have trouble installing some software while it's installed? If
>> so, then why are only some installations affected?
>>
>> Sam

Please let me know if I can provide any information about my system
setup that might help track this bug down.

Sam

PA Bear

Oct 14, 2005, 6:39:02 PM10/14/05
Lawrence, have you read MVP Susan Bradley's post here about 902400?
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/11a22641c4bbabb0/1686370297212b7c?q=author:sbra...@pacbell.net&rnum=1&hl=en#1686370297212b7c

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Oct 14, 2005, 9:16:46 PM10/14/05
Yes.. I did... read it as it was posted.

I doubt, though, that there will be a lot of systems hit by group membership
changes. There are obviously other things at work than just that glitch,
though, in the long run, I suspect (based on the other info from MS) that a
lot of these issues will be ultimately tracked back to somebody mucking with
default system access permissions.

In my case, though, I've still not sorted out the actual cause, though I'll
be looking into it over the weekend. I highly doubt it's a permissions
issue, as I've not mucked with anything configured on my own system.

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Oct 15, 2005, 11:06:21 AM10/15/05
Hi Lawrence,

Have you considered open up a support case with Microsoft for
this issue?

Regards,
Torgeir

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

J@discussions.microsoft.com Gary J

Oct 15, 2005, 12:29:28 PM10/15/05
Side note on Tuesday's updates:

After using Windows Update to install the patches, I started receiving the
following error in the application log:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line 44 of
d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.

My Symantec virus update, Spy Sweeper program, Adobe Reader updater and
Windows Update itself stopped working.

I removed all updates applied that day, rebooted and all programs returned
to normal. I ran Windows Update again and applied all updates EXCEPT:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051
Vulnerabilities in MSDTC and COM+ Could Allow Remote Code Execution (902400)

rebooted and everything is running fine - there is something seriously wrong
with MS05-051 (in my opinion). I'm running XP SP2 Pro, while my wifes
computer (XP SP2 Home) took all updates without a problem. Go figure :-)

Gary J

Oct 15, 2005, 12:36:30 PM10/15/05
Ignore, I see this has been addressed in topic:

KB909444 addresses issues with installation of MS05-051

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Oct 15, 2005, 12:46:02 PM10/15/05

Actually, it hadn't gotten to the point of being motivated enough to
actually pick up a telephone... (I hate telephones!)

As it turns out, the 'fixes' from KB909444 resolved the issue.

I did this pursuant to applying KB896688 and KB902400 (in that order) to a
virgin XP SP2 VM environment, and was not able to reproduce my VS2005/VMRC
error -- this led me to believe that it /was/ something on my system
contributing to the malfunction.

While the VMRC wasn't listed in the KB article, and the permissions appeared
to be okay on my system, I applied the fixes via the command line
instructions, anyway. Reinstalled KB902400 (I had previously installed
KB896688 after tracing the problem to KB902400), and it's all working
perfectly now.

My advice now, to anybody experiencing issues with KB902400, even if the
cause is not yet documented in KB909444, would be to reapply the security
permissions to the %windir%\registration folder.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.B...@hydro.com> wrote in message

Sam

Oct 15, 2005, 4:33:25 PM10/15/05
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:46:02 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<onsitech...@news.postalias> wrote:

>Actually, it hadn't gotten to the point of being motivated enough to
>actually pick up a telephone... (I hate telephones!)
>
>As it turns out, the 'fixes' from KB909444 resolved the issue.
>
>I did this pursuant to applying KB896688 and KB902400 (in that order) to a
>virgin XP SP2 VM environment, and was not able to reproduce my VS2005/VMRC
>error -- this led me to believe that it /was/ something on my system
>contributing to the malfunction.
>
>While the VMRC wasn't listed in the KB article, and the permissions appeared
>to be okay on my system, I applied the fixes via the command line
>instructions, anyway. Reinstalled KB902400 (I had previously installed
>KB896688 after tracing the problem to KB902400), and it's all working
>perfectly now.
>
>My advice now, to anybody experiencing issues with KB902400, even if the
>cause is not yet documented in KB909444, would be to reapply the security
>permissions to the %windir%\registration folder.

I can verify that this fixed my problem. After fixing the permissions
for c:\windows\registration I could load KB909444 just fine.

Sam

PA Bear

Oct 16, 2005, 8:44:56 PM10/16/05
Sam, have you contacted PSS again to tell them this issue is resolved?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

CC: MarieM

Sam

Oct 17, 2005, 10:01:39 PM10/17/05
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:44:56 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Sam, have you contacted PSS again to tell them this issue is resolved?

Yes!

Sam

PA Bear

Oct 18, 2005, 2:36:45 PM10/18/05
Thanks. I have done so as well.
--
~Robear

"Sam" <ret...@home.net> wrote in message

f23angel

Nov 1, 2005, 12:39:04 AM11/1/05

"neal007" wrote:

> I can't view FLASH any more.
>
> Windows Update site won't load
>
> InstallShield 11 won't load
>
> Outlook 2003 TODAY page won't show
>
> This is consistent among two machines, both updated with today's updates
> (Windows XP Pro .Latest)

I had the same problem and found this fix on google
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm
just download the program and everything will be fine again

i hope this helps!!!