[FYI] MS announces a new version of KB908531 (MS06-015)

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 21, 2006, 12:32:18 AM4/21/06
According to the revised Security Bulletin MS06-015
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-015.mspx
MS will release an revised version of KB908531 (MS06-015) on
April 25th. For details please see the FAQ section of the bulletin.

FWIW,
Freudi

P.S.: F'up2 set to microsoft.public.windowsupdate (answers will
show up in the Windows Update newsgroup only)

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 21, 2006, 1:38:28 AM4/21/06

More info on http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2006/04/21/425838.aspx

> P.S.: F'up2 set to microsoft.public.windowsupdate (answers will
> show up in the Windows Update newsgroup only)

Once again set,
Freudi

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Apr 21, 2006, 2:44:50 AM4/21/06
Thanks for the update Ottmar.
Kaylene

--

===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Apr 21, 2006, 4:11:57 AM4/21/06
Thanks Freudi.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Mac

Apr 21, 2006, 4:13:20 AM4/21/06
You would think M$ could learn how to test...

kurttrail

Apr 21, 2006, 4:26:49 AM4/21/06
Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:

Thanks Freudi. I guess the bashing they took over this patch actually
worked at getting them to rework this patch.

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch

JD76

Apr 21, 2006, 6:59:01 AM4/21/06
Thank you Ottmar, I have read the blog from Stephen Toulouse and have 1 final
question. If you have applied the reg key fix and are no longer experiencing
problems. Is there no action required. Or are you better removing your reg
key fix and uninstalling the old ms06-015. Then reapplying the new fix via
AU? Thanks JD76.

oks...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2006, 10:58:22 AM4/21/06
I read the article about new update, and see that they would address HP
Share to web and Nvidia issues....
I have none of these on my computer, and yet have problems after
KB908531 update.

My XP prof sp2 does this:
When you rightclick anything it would sometime open a menu ok, but most
of the times:
show hourglass for a minute, then it disappears and nothing opens...
If you look in task manager - at the same time it happens Verclsid.exe
opens.

I found two solutions that make it go away:
1 - remove KB908531
2 - keep it and rename Verclsid.exe to Verclsid.old in hope that new
update coming out on april 25th will fix it...
I did send my comments on the article to microsoft, as their article
mentions only computers with share to web and nvidia drivers. But I
don't know how good they are checking those comments.

Do you know the sure way to contact microsoft about bugs???

Oksana

kurttrail

Apr 21, 2006, 12:51:22 PM4/21/06
kurttrail wrote:

> Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
>
>> According to the revised Security Bulletin MS06-015
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-015.mspx
>> MS will release an revised version of KB908531 (MS06-015) on
>> April 25th. For details please see the FAQ section of the bulletin.
>>
>> FWIW,
>> Freudi
>>
>> P.S.: F'up2 set to microsoft.public.windowsupdate (answers will
>> show up in the Windows Update newsgroup only)
>

> Thanks Freudi. I guess the bashing they took over this patch actually
> worked at getting them to rework this patch.

Why was this post pulled? There is NOTHING wrong with it that I can
see. Can anyone else see a problem with it?

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 21, 2006, 1:46:21 PM4/21/06
"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknownuniverse.org> schrieb:

> I guess the bashing they took over this patch actually
> worked at getting them to rework this patch.

The bashing in the newsgroups here? Not really. I'm sure not
having been the only one to had contact with MSRC since at
least Saturday. They seemed to have been somewhat impressed
by the amount of downloads of f.i. "my fix", which has been
downloaded more than 3.000 times in the meantime.

Anyway, it's good to see the giant moving.

Bye,
Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 21, 2006, 1:50:39 PM4/21/06
"JD76" <JD...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Thank you Ottmar, I have read the blog from Stephen Toulouse and have 1 final
> question. If you have applied the reg key fix and are no longer experiencing
> problems. Is there no action required.

Correct.

> Or are you better removing your reg key fix and uninstalling the old ms06-015.

Nope. The "updated update" will include the exact same fix for
HP's (outdated) Share-To-Web software, which has been described
in the KB article and been made available for download by Kelly
as VBS file and me as a ZIP file. Additional a registry fix for
outdated Nvidia video card drivers.

Anyway, AutoUpdate and the Windows/Microsoft Update site will
check, if the machine is in trouble and install the "updated
update" if they feel, the machine may be.

HTH,
Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 21, 2006, 1:53:51 PM4/21/06
"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknownuniverse.org> schrieb:

> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
>>
>>> According to the revised Security Bulletin MS06-015
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-015.mspx
>>> MS will release an revised version of KB908531 (MS06-015) on
>>> April 25th. For details please see the FAQ section of the bulletin.
>>>
>>> FWIW,
>>> Freudi
>>>
>>> P.S.: F'up2 set to microsoft.public.windowsupdate (answers will

>>> show up in the Windows Update newsgroup only)

>> Thanks Freudi. I guess the bashing they took over this patch actually
>> worked at getting them to rework this patch.
>
> Why was this post pulled? There is NOTHING wrong with it that I can
> see. Can anyone else see a problem with it?

You may have overseen the passage I've underlined above. Your answer
is still in the *.windowsupdate newsgroup. Nothing to worry about.

F'up2 set again to microsoft.public.windowsupdate (answers will

show up in the Windows Update newsgroup only)

Bye,
Freudi

kurttrail

Apr 21, 2006, 2:02:31 PM4/21/06
Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:

Yeah, AFTER I sent the post, I noticed the Followup-To. My mistake.
Sorry.

Vince

Apr 21, 2006, 2:04:56 PM4/21/06
Hello:

I just read your post. Are you saying that the new update coming out April
25th is going to have a fix for the Nvidia Video Cards or are you saying you
have a fix for them.

I have one of those cards that do not have drivers above 6.14.10.5673 and it
is no longer supported. It is my secondary emergency machine and would hate
to have to purchase a new video card just for stand by machine.

Thanks

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 21, 2006, 2:12:59 PM4/21/06
"Vince" <willgivew...@ok.com> schrieb:

> I just read your post. Are you saying that the new update coming out April
> 25th is going to have a fix for the Nvidia Video Cards

Yes.

> I have one of those cards that do not have drivers above 6.14.10.5673 and it
> is no longer supported.

Just curious: Which video card model exactly?

Bye,
Freudi

Vince

Apr 21, 2006, 2:41:20 PM4/21/06
Thanks
Vince

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Vince

Apr 21, 2006, 2:57:01 PM4/21/06
About my video card Nvidia gave me a link to an older driver. My card has
not been supported in a while. I currently have the drivers installed that
came with XP.

If I remember when I tried to install the drivers that Nvidia Supplied I got
notice that my current drivers were newer.

My video card is "Nvidia TNT2 Model 64".

This is not a daily use machine so I will just wait for the update to come
down on April 25th before updateing this machine. I rarely goes on the net
mostly a product test machine prior to putting product on my main machine.

JD76

Apr 21, 2006, 3:39:02 PM4/21/06
Thanks Freudi I will leave as is and see if anything changes. I know this is
probably a silly question but not being too proficient on the internals of a
pc. how do I know what video card drivers I have installed? I have a sony
vaio laptop but not too sure on how to check. I know that I have a HP
photosmart 7550 printer and wish I had never installed it as it has always
given me trouble with some driver or other.

Thanks in advance JD76.

Vince

Apr 21, 2006, 4:14:03 PM4/21/06
Revise my Video Drivers:

I just did some more research and found that the Nvidia Drivers for my card
were updated last April and are 71.89 which means I have no issues.

I think I was confused because I have the Microsoft Drivers installed right
now and they use different Version Numberes. All that aside I was at a
friends house today and he had installed the update and has the exact same
video card with the same Windows XP default drivers installed. No issues on
the machine.

So it looks like I am good to go.

I think when I said the drivers were newer from Microsoft than Nvidia I must
have been remembering when I had 2003 Server Trial installed.

benupset

Apr 21, 2006, 5:12:02 PM4/21/06
Thanks. HP couldn't help me except to perform a "system restore" to get rid
of the update - but I was grateful for that. Microsoft Support wants to get
paid to allow me to contact them about their problem! No help at all. No
alert on their " support " site. Me thinks my next computer will be a
Macintosh.

Malke

Apr 21, 2006, 6:29:44 PM4/21/06
JD76 wrote:

> Thanks Freudi I will leave as is and see if anything changes. I know
> this is probably a silly question but not being too proficient on the
> internals of a
> pc. how do I know what video card drivers I have installed? I have a
> sony
> vaio laptop but not too sure on how to check. I know that I have a HP
> photosmart 7550 printer and wish I had never installed it as it has
> always given me trouble with some driver or other.

I'm not Freudi, but you can either look in the Adapter section of the
Display applet (under Settings>Advanced) or expand the Display category
in Device Manager (System applet). Since you have a laptop, you will be
using the proprietary drivers by Sony and you should leave them that
way. Laptops have proprietary hardware so you should always get drivers
from the laptop mftr. for your specific model laptop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

MowGreen [MVP]

Apr 21, 2006, 6:47:35 PM4/21/06
> Microsoft Support wants to get
> paid to allow me to contact them about their problem!

Sorry, you're wrong about that. Support for issues with Security updates
is FREE. Insist that you talk to a supervisor if the situation ever
arises again.
From : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspx

> Support:

> Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft
> Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls
> that are associated with security updates.

> International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries.
> There is no charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more
> information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International
> Support Web site

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 22, 2006, 2:39:16 AM4/22/06
"Vince" <willgivew...@ok.com> schrieb:

> Revise my Video Drivers:
>
> I just did some more research and found that the Nvidia Drivers for my card
> were updated last April and are 71.89 which means I have no issues.
>
> I think I was confused because I have the Microsoft Drivers installed right
> now and they use different Version Numberes. All that aside I was at a
> friends house today and he had installed the update and has the exact same
> video card with the same Windows XP default drivers installed. No issues on
> the machine.

Fine, that's good to know anyway.

F'up2 set to microsoft.public.windowsupdate

(Answers will show up there only)

Bye,
Freudi

DRX...@aol.com

Apr 22, 2006, 4:24:54 AM4/22/06

Malke wrote:
> JD76 wrote:
>
> > Thanks Freudi I will leave as is and see if anything changes. I know
> > this is probably a silly question but not being too proficient on the
> > internals of a
> > pc. how do I know what video card drivers I have installed? I have a
> > sony
> > vaio laptop but not too sure on how to check. I know that I have a HP
> > photosmart 7550 printer and wish I had never installed it as it has
> > always given me trouble with some driver or other.
>
> I'm not Freudi, but you can either look in the Adapter section of the
> Display applet (under Settings>Advanced) or expand the Display category
> in Device Manager (System applet). Since you have a laptop, you will be
> using the proprietary drivers by Sony and you should leave them that
> way. Laptops have proprietary hardware so you should always get drivers
> from the laptop mftr. for your specific model laptop.
>
> Malke

I continue to have IE6 problems on my Sony Vaio laptop following the MS
security update debacle. I have no HP stuff as far as I'm aware.

I've followed advice from various MVPs and installed Kelly's solution
but still have the IE6 problem and still my System Restore utility is
missing. I've tried to find it in Safe Mode too.

The error message I repeatedly get when on-line through AOL and trying
to open pages or use links is:

"DDE Server Window:rstrui.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.DLL is not a valid
windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

Any further assistance gratefully received.

Regards,

David.

Robin Walker

Apr 22, 2006, 7:44:16 AM4/22/06
oks...@gmail.com wrote:

> I read the article about new update, and see that they would address
> HP Share to web and Nvidia issues....
> I have none of these on my computer, and yet have problems after
> KB908531 update.
>
> My XP prof sp2 does this:
> When you rightclick anything it would sometime open a menu ok, but
> most of the times:
> show hourglass for a minute, then it disappears and nothing opens...
> If you look in task manager - at the same time it happens
> Verclsid.exe opens.

This is an interesting report, thank you.

This might be caused by another problematic shell extension (shell
extensions are for example the things that add themselves to your
right-click menu). Please download "ShellExView" from
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html and run it. Note down all the
listed items that are *not* by Microsoft and then list them here in a
follow-up to this post.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rd...@cam.ac.uk

oks...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2006, 3:12:33 PM4/25/06

Below is the list of my non MS extensions.
Since I renamed Verclsid.exe, and everything was back to normal I get
messages every day with 908531 update trying to reinstall, I let it do
it once, and it put new 'Verclsid.exe' in system32 folder, and my
problem came back. I deleted Verclsid.exe, and now ignoring win update
messages....
I also spoke to microsoft about my problem, they "Took a note of
it".....
I am surprised they did not ask me for this extensions list. There is
no way I have the time to disable one at a time to see which one is
conflicting with the update....
Thanks for the tip about this "ShellExView" program.

Oksana

Extension Name Product Name Company
&Google Google Toolbar for IE Google Inc.
Acrobat Elements Context Menu Adobe Acrobat Elements Adobe Systems Inc.
AcroIEHlprObj Class AcroIEHelper Library Adobe Systems Incorporated
AcroIEToolbarHelper Class
Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF
Display Panning CPL Extension
DriveLetterAccess Sonic Solutions
DriveLetterAccess Sonic Solutions
Google Toolbar Helper Google Toolbar for IE Google Inc.
HyperTerminal Icon Ext Microsoft® Windows® Operating
System Hilgraeve, Inc.
Illustrator Icon Handler Adobe Illustrator Adobe Systems Incorporated
Illustrator Icon Handler Adobe Illustrator Adobe Systems Incorporated
InDesign Icon Handler Adobe InDesign Adobe Systems Incorporated
iTunes iTunes Apple Computer, Inc.
Photoshop Icon Handler
PropPage Class Symantec Ghost Shell Extension Symantec Corporation
PropPage Class Symantec Ghost Shell Extension Symantec Corporation
RealOne Player Context Menu Class RealPlayer RealNetworks, Inc.
RealSearch RealPlayer (32-bit) RealNetworks, Inc.
RecordNow! ContextMenuExt RecordNow!
RecordNow! SendToExt RecordNow!
SmartFTP Shell Extension DLL SmartFTP Client SmartFTP
SSVHelper Class Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6 Sun
Microsystems, Inc.
WinZip WinZip WinZip Computing, Inc.
WinZip WinZip WinZip Computing, Inc.
WinZip WinZip WinZip Computing, Inc.
WinZip WinZip WinZip Computing, Inc.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 25, 2006, 11:39:00 PM4/25/06
<oks...@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Since I renamed Verclsid.exe, and everything was back to normal I get
> messages every day with 908531 update trying to reinstall, I let it do
> it once, and it put new 'Verclsid.exe' in system32 folder, and my
> problem came back.

Please let KB908531(v2) install again and see if the revised update
causes the same problems again on your machine. The revised version
of KB908531 has been released on April 25th and offered via Windows/
Microsoft/Auto Update for those not having installed KB908531 yet or
have had the problems described in MSKB arcicle 918165 after version 1
of KB908531 has been installed before April 25th.

Bye,
Freudi

JD76

Apr 26, 2006, 3:32:01 PM4/26/06
Thanks Malke much appreciated, I have a radeon driver. That's fine thanks
again. John.

oks...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2006, 10:00:37 AM4/27/06

Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:

> Please let KB908531(v2) install again and see if the revised update
> causes the same problems again on your machine. The revised version
> of KB908531 has been released on April 25th and offered via Windows/
> Microsoft/Auto Update for those not having installed KB908531 yet or
> have had the problems described in MSKB arcicle 918165 after version 1
> of KB908531 has been installed before April 25th.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Hi!
Thanks to all who responded.
New update from MS did not help in this case.
My problem was: Vexira antivirus conflicting with verclsid.exe (908531
update)
I just talked to Vexira techsupport, and they are working on the fix
for it, probably will be available in a week or 2.
As soon as I removed the whole vexira program (just disabling is not
helping) - my update was fine with the right-click.
Of course, I will put the antivirus back, and get rid of the MS update,
until I can get the new build of Vexira...
Thanks,
Oksana

astra...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2006, 12:48:12 PM4/27/06
I had this issue as well. I just talked to one of their support guys
and he directed me towards a FAQ they just posted.

http://support.vexira.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=788

It worked here just fine.

oks...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2006, 1:42:49 PM4/27/06
Did you try the network fix?

oks...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2006, 2:42:31 PM4/27/06
One last thing about vexira:
http://support.vexira.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=788

this fix is temporary, and the new build of the program(hopefully soon)
will restore the shell functionality.