0x80010105 error when searching for updates

AKX

Oct 13, 2005, 2:38:03 PM10/13/05
Hello,

I've been getting a rather annoying error when I try to search for
updates in Windows Update (and Microsoft Update as well) -- it merely
tells me that there's been a problem, error code 0x80010105. The
\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log tails as follows (I removed some stars and
dashes from there):

2856 c38 Service ** START ** Service: Service startup
2856 c38 Agent * WU client version 5.8.0.2469
2856 c38 Agent * SusClientId = '532fdb4c-51c4-4c0d-a0e4-ce41a4379a9d'
2856 c38 Agent * Base directory: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
2856 c38 Agent * Access type: No proxy
2856 c38 Agent * Network state: Connected
2856 700 Agent Agent: Initializing Windows Update Agent
2856 700 Agent Agent: Initializing global settings cache
2856 700 Agent * WSUS server: <NULL>
2856 700 Agent * WSUS status server: <NULL>
2856 700 Agent * Target group: (Unassigned Computers)
2856 700 Agent * Windows Update access disabled: No
2856 700 DnldMgr Download manager restoring 0 downloads
2380 110 COMAPI -- START -- COMAPI: Search [ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2380 110 COMAPI - Online = Yes; Ignore download priority = No
2380 110 COMAPI - Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and IsHidden=1"
2380 110 COMAPI - ServiceID = {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}
2380 110 COMAPI WARNING: ISusInternal::BeginFindUpdatesEx failed,
hr=80010105
2380 110 COMAPI - WARNING: Exit code = 0x80010105
2380 110 COMAPI -- END -- COMAPI: Search [ClientId = <NULL>]
2380 110 COMAPI FATAL: Unable to initiate asynchronous search,
hr=80010105

Should the WSUS server be null or the target group unassigned? I have
tried to incinerate the SoftwareDistribution folder, re-register DLLs,
set security descriptors to no avail.

Does anyone else have (or had) this problem, and how was it resolved,
or can anyone give me any tips on how to fix this without reinstalling
Windows?

Very grateful for any replies (more so for the ones which help ;-),

AKX

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Oct 13, 2005, 2:51:10 PM10/13/05
AKX wrote:

If you don't have a WSUS server, yes, but if you have installed a
WSUS server, it should absolutely not be null.

> I have
> tried to incinerate the SoftwareDistribution folder, re-register DLLs,
> set security descriptors to no avail.
>
> Does anyone else have (or had) this problem, and how was it resolved,
> or can anyone give me any tips on how to fix this without reinstalling
> Windows?

0x80010105 is RPC_E_Serverfault

I have no idea what can cause this, and a search for 0x80010105 doesn't
come up with anything relevant as I can see.

Also check your event logs for any clues:

Start/Run --> eventvwr.msc

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

AKX

Oct 14, 2005, 8:45:23 AM10/14/05
Well, I forgot to mention that "Faulting application svchost.exe,
version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module wuaueng.dll, version 5.8.0.2469,
fault address 0x00068d9b." when I boot up with Automatic Updates on.
And no, no WSUS server, I'm trying to use Microsoft's Windows Update.
Starting (!) and re-starting the AU service or the BITS service doesn't
help either.
I suspect that some DLL might be corrupted along the way, so is there a
way to force a re-installation of the v6 Windows Update service?

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Oct 14, 2005, 9:10:18 AM10/14/05
AKX wrote:

Hi,

Download location for WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

If it says "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is
already installed.", run the exe with the command line switch
/wuforce, like this:

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce

AKX

Oct 14, 2005, 9:49:51 AM10/14/05

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> AKX wrote:
>
> > Well, I forgot to mention that "Faulting application svchost.exe,
> > version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module wuaueng.dll, version 5.8.0.2469,
> > fault address 0x00068d9b." when I boot up with Automatic Updates on.
> > And no, no WSUS server, I'm trying to use Microsoft's Windows Update.
> > Starting (!) and re-starting the AU service or the BITS service doesn't
> > help either.
> > I suspect that some DLL might be corrupted along the way, so is there a
> > way to force a re-installation of the v6 Windows Update service?
> >
> Hi,
>
> Download location for WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264
>
> If it says "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is
> already installed.", run the exe with the command line switch
> /wuforce, like this:
>
> WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce

IT WORKED! Thanks a ton!
You probably saved my computer from total annihilation :)
Now happily downloading updates. And I'll be sure to pass on the
knowledge to any and all people having a similar problem :)

Very grateful,
AKX