Genuine Advantage not required?

BC

Sep 24, 2008, 4:46:20 PM9/24/08
Hello,

I am running winxp sp3. I logged in on an administrator account and
connected to the windows update site to download the OE update 938464. The
site offered and I accepted new windows update software. Then the regular
pattern seemed to change. I was expecting to get a genuine advantage check
d/l, but the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which
was the genuine advantage file.

I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.

Several of the updates offered were not security updates (the daylight
savings update, for one). I thought that genuine advantage had to be
installed before you could get more than the security updates. Has there
been a change in the policy or did I just loose a few more brain cells last
weekend?

Bill Cranor

Michael Jennings

Sep 24, 2008, 5:25:32 PM9/24/08
They're pushing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
again - they had given up shoving that one at people a while ago. It is not
WGA - you passed that before WU would show you any updates.
WGAN can be rejected at WU by unchecking it, then putting a check in the
"Don't show this update again" checkbox. You'll then need to live with the
"(!) Important You've hidden important updates" notice at WU. They used
to sneak WGAN out towards the end of the month - not with the regular
run - and not allow unwary users who accepted it to uninstall it. Google it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+Genuine+Advantage+Notification

"BC" <nomail@wontbedelivered> wrote in message

Shenan Stanley

Sep 24, 2008, 5:28:15 PM9/24/08

I am confused. You got what you expected - right? Everything worked,
right?

"I was expecting to get a genuine advantage check d/l, but the next screen
showed a list of available updates - one of which was the genuine advantage

file.'

Expected and received...?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 24, 2008, 7:01:35 PM9/24/08
> ...The site offered and I accepted new windows update software.

That was an updated version of a WGA-related ActiveX Control. This ActiveX
Control must be installed to be able to use Windows Update website.

> ...the next screen showed a list of available updates - one of which

> was the genuine advantage file.

That would be KB905474 (WGA Notifications tool), which is also frequently
updated. Installing KB905474 and/or updated versions of same remains 100%
optional.

Automatic Updates does NOT require or depend on either of the above.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Michael Jennings

Sep 24, 2008, 11:50:36 PM9/24/08
Freudi's KB905474-Uninstaller.exe remains available at patch-info.de,
under the old "ohne Gewähr" terms - no guarantee, it gets rid of it.
http://patch-info.de/artikel/2008/09/23/560#extended
WGA Notifications wasn't at WU yesterday when I checked, but it was
there today. I didn't install it, but I did grab Freudi's tool just in case.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

BC

Sep 25, 2008, 2:51:39 AM9/25/08

"Michael Jennings" <meta...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> They're pushing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
> again - they had given up shoving that one at people a while ago. It is
> not
> WGA - you passed that before WU would show you any updates.

Ahhh... that is the file that you _run_ to tell you that your Windows is
pirate. I thought they had switched WGA from a required d/l to an optional
d/l.

>> I had re-installed windows with an imageing program and that usually
>> triggers the re-installation of genuine advantage.

> I am confused. You got what you expected - right? Everything worked,
> right?

> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

I was the one that was confused -- as I usually am. I can't remember any
other time that ghosting Windows back on to the hard disk did not tirgger
the re-installation of WGA.

Sep 25, 2008, 2:40:50 AM9/25/08
I think that uninstaller hasn't worked since KB905474 was first updated,
Michael. YMMV.

Michael Jennings

Sep 25, 2008, 10:26:51 AM9/25/08
I don't feel like testing it either, but I guess now I'm obligated.
Morgan, morgan, nur nicht heute, sagen alle faulen leute.
Perhaps I'll try the likely failed experiment next week.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Michael Jennings

Sep 25, 2008, 5:44:28 PM9/25/08
Hey, PA Bear - you can believe in KB905474-Uninstaller.exe!
I ran BootItNG to shrink 35GB XP sp3 on C: into 20GB of image files.
Well, C: is backed up now. Then, after accepting KB905474 at WU,
it turned out that Freudi's file got rid of the latest WGA Notifications.
It works like it used to, with DOS boxes and a long count down alarm
box for the reboot. The program reported success, and WU offered
KB905474 again. I'm not as lazy as I thought. You were wrong.

"Michael Jennings" <meta...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ottmar Freudenberger

Sep 27, 2008, 5:52:45 AM9/27/08
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Michael Jennings wrote:
>> Freudi's KB905474-Uninstaller.exe remains available at patch-info.de,
>> under the old "ohne Gewähr" terms - no guarantee, it gets rid of it.
>> http://patch-info.de/artikel/2008/09/23/560#extended
>> WGA Notifications wasn't at WU yesterday when I checked, but it was
>> there today. I didn't install it, but I did grab Freudi's tool just in
>> case.

> I think that uninstaller hasn't worked since KB905474 was first updated,
> Michael. YMMV.

Ehm, it worked ever since and it still does. Where's your impression
of non-functionality coming from?

Bye,
Freudi

Jo-Anne

Sep 27, 2008, 12:21:00 PM9/27/08

> "Michael Jennings" <meta...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> They're pushing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
>> again - they had given up shoving that one at people a while ago. It is
>> not
>> WGA - you passed that before WU would show you any updates.
>

> Ahhh... that is the file that you _run_ to tell you that your Windows is
> pirate. I thought they had switched WGA from a required d/l to an optional
> d/l.

It's back to being a High-Priority update on WinXP Pro machines.

Jo-Anne

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 27, 2008, 3:12:39 PM9/27/08

I dunno. I'm probably suffering from CRS Syndrome, Freudi. <eg>

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 27, 2008, 3:13:56 PM9/27/08
Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> They're pushing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
>>> again - they had given up shoving that one at people a while ago. It is
>>> not WGA - you passed that before WU would show you any updates.
>>
>> Ahhh... that is the file that you _run_ to tell you that your Windows is
>> pirate. I thought they had switched WGA from a required d/l to an
>> optional
>> d/l.
>>
> It's back to being a High-Priority update on WinXP Pro machines.

And your point is...?

Jo-Anne

Sep 27, 2008, 4:15:33 PM9/27/08

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
That it's back to being a required download on XP Pro machines, though not
on XP Home machines--although of course you could quibble with "required,"
since you can refuse it and get badgered by Microsoft every time you go to
the Windows Update page. But when something is high priority, most people
will download it, figuring it's necessary.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 27, 2008, 4:28:21 PM9/27/08

Repeat after me:

=> KB905474 is and already has been an Optional [1] update.

=> High Priority updates are Optional [2] updates. There is no requirement
whatsoever that they must be installed.

=> Updated versions of KB905474 will be offered whether you've ever
installed an earlier version or not.

======================

[1] KB905474 has been offered to WinXP Home machines in the past.

[2] If you have AU set to the Automatic setting or you do an Express install
at Windows Update website, High Priority updates will be installed.
--
~PA Bear

Jo-Anne

Sep 27, 2008, 4:50:36 PM9/27/08

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I know you don't have to install High Priority updates, but as you pointed
out, they WILL be installed with AU and with Express install unless you
specifically refuse them, unlike what Microsoft calls "Software, Optional."
And WGAN has this week become a High Priority update on XP Pro machines.
Could we agree to disagree on the word "required"? I know you can avoid the
installation, but then every time you go to Windows Update, you get "You've
asked us not to show you one or more high-priority updates but your computer
might be at risk until they are installed." That's a lot of pressure for
something that's not required.

Jo-Anne

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 27, 2008, 5:17:18 PM9/27/08

Given the amount of information out there, those foolish enough to have AU
configured to Automatic and/or use the Express option at Windows Update get
what they deserve (and chances are they couldn't care less about having WGA
Notification tool installed).

Repost: WGA Notification tool and the WGA-related ActiveX Control required
to use Windows Update website are not the same thing. The former is not
required at all; the latter is not required if one updates solely via
Automatic Updates.

Michael Jennings

Sep 28, 2008, 12:42:58 AM9/28/08

"Jo-Anne" <nap...@tbcnet.com> wrote in message

XP WGA is almost perfected, Jo-Anne - it's better than Vista's version:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=526
As the Ed Bott story (at the link) points out, WGAN can actually be helpful
to bandit afflicted users. So some of Microsoft's mendacity turns out *not*
to be untrue - woo woo! Incredible! But it phones home every fortnight, and
does not improve system performance, so, if you got it, get rid of it by using
Freudi's http://patch-info.de/WinXP/Downloads/KB905474-Uninstaller.exe
PA Bear prefers not to remember that in XP you can get rid of WGAN.
The Vista version is mandatory - you accept it when you acquire Vista.

Michael Jennings

Sep 28, 2008, 12:42:22 AM9/28/08
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Well, people generally are capable of making mistakes.
http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12354-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=51597&messageID=971723&start=-9743

Jo-Anne

Sep 28, 2008, 1:31:56 AM9/28/08
"Michael Jennings" <meta...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thank you, Michael! I read the article and enjoyed learning more about the
problems WGAN can cause. Fortunately, I haven't installed it on either of my
computers, so I won't need to use Freudi's uninstaller (although I've copied
your post to a folder in OE just in case...).

Jo-Anne

Ottmar Freudenberger

Sep 28, 2008, 6:08:42 AM9/28/08
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Given the amount of information out there, those foolish enough to have AU
> configured to Automatic and/or use the Express option at Windows Update get
> what they deserve (and chances are they couldn't care less about having WGA
> Notification tool installed).

Hm, I have to disagree here with you. It's *NOT* foolish to have AU

configured to Automatic and/or use the Express option at Windows

Update, these are the recommended setting for the average user. It's
not their fault if they get KB905474, nor if they are not interesseted
in the updates (and their contents) which are offered by Windows/Auto
Update. In general, it's absolutly okay to run Auto Update in this
mode.

What's still causing the confusion is that MS is pushing an optional,
not neccessary for whatever update as an important update. It may be
important to their politics but it's not important at all for the
users system. And of course, it's producing skepticism and "may" be
pushing users away from trusting MS in pushing out *neccessary*
updates in a responsible and respective way to endusers.
The result of that (pushing that piece of BS via the official update
channels and the discussions around that method and KB905474 itself)
"may" be users no longer trusting MS and/or turning off Auto Update
in general - and therefore running sooner or later systems whith
security holes not patched by in the meantime released "normal"
security updates for the system.

To sum up: It's *NOT* foolish that/if the average user has Auto
Update configured in automatic mode, but it's foolish *from MS* to
insist on pushing out KB905474 as an important update.

Bye,
Freu"Windows XP may be my last Windows version running at all"di

Alias

Sep 28, 2008, 7:20:50 AM9/28/08
Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:

> Bye,
> Freu"Windows XP may be my last Windows version running at all"di

Really? What OS do you plan to use?

Alias