Windows Update install Ideacom software

Jeffrey

Jan 13, 2009, 9:56:03 PM1/13/09
I just updated my laptop and I stupidly installed an update that said it was
for Ideacom Technology - Input - HID Touch Screen (PS/2).
It was installed and it messed up my touchpad and pointer.
I have tried to uninstall via the Device Manager but each time I do it keeps
reinstalling itself.

How do I remove this software?
It is not in the Add/Remove.

Windows XP Pro SP3
Dell Inspiron

Warren

Jan 13, 2009, 10:25:00 PM1/13/09
Yep, I fell for it too thinking it might have been associated with the
fingerprint reader. It was not. It took over my PS/2 mouse port and I had to
switch the mouse over to a USB port to get it working. I went into device
manager and uninstalled it and then grabbed the latest Intellipoint installer
(I have a MS mouse) and ran it and it took over the PS/2 mouser driver duties.

Try reinstalling your mouse driver, even if you have to pick one from a list
using the advanced installer option...

I've updated 4 systems today and on 3 of them this fubar Ideacom update has
appeared. I said "no thank you" and hid it from view the second two times.
Hopefully MS will get this fixed soom before it hurts too many others.

Shenan Stanley

Jan 13, 2009, 11:57:04 PM1/13/09

Device Manager, Roll-Back Driver.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/driverrollback.mspx

Otherwise...

Go to Dell, get the latest driver for your device(s) and install them.

Always go back to those who support said hardware for thehardware device
drivers. Always ignore hardware drivers for non-microsoft products from
Microsoft. IMHO.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

@discussions.microsoft.com harry

Jan 14, 2009, 12:25:00 AM1/14/09

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> the driver won't roll back or uninstall and dell has no mouse driver updates..the only solution as I see it is to install a new usb mouse instead...even uninstalling the windows update from add/delete doesn't help...

Paul

Jan 14, 2009, 12:42:01 AM1/14/09
YEah I did the same thing today recently and I got SCREWED thanks a lot
Microsoft. YOu better create a update patch that fixes this problem, I can
use my non-usb mouse now.

Alias

Jan 14, 2009, 5:37:02 AM1/14/09
Warren wrote:
> Yep, I fell for it too thinking it might have been associated with the
> fingerprint reader. It was not. It took over my PS/2 mouse port and I had to
> switch the mouse over to a USB port to get it working. I went into device
> manager and uninstalled it and then grabbed the latest Intellipoint installer
> (I have a MS mouse) and ran it and it took over the PS/2 mouser driver duties.
>
> Try reinstalling your mouse driver, even if you have to pick one from a list
> using the advanced installer option...
>
> I've updated 4 systems today and on 3 of them this fubar Ideacom update has
> appeared. I said "no thank you" and hid it from view the second two times.
> Hopefully MS will get this fixed soom before it hurts too many others.

Did it come via Automatic Updates or did you go to MS' update web site?

Alias

Jeffrey

Jan 14, 2009, 6:46:01 AM1/14/09
I found a solution. So far this has worked for me.

STEPS:
1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphidMODIFIED"

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human
Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under
"Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
problem should be fixed.

POSSIBLE EXPLANATION:
If you JUST uninstall the driver under "Human Interface Devices" it will
find the driver after the first reboot and reinstall itself. A second reboot
will show that your mouse is not working again.

By renaming or deleting the "idcphid.sys" file it can't reinstall itself
apparently.

gcapp99

Jan 14, 2009, 8:18:15 AM1/14/09

Here's how I fixed it on my XP desktop machine...

First, use a USB mouse temporarily to navigate; In Windows Explorer,
browse your C:\Windows\inf directory for "oemxx.inf" files. The "xx" is
a number assigned by Windows- mine was oem11.inf.

Right-click it, click "Properties". Look at the "Created" date- it
should be the same as the Windows Update session that installed it. Look
at the "Modified" date- mine said Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:14:56am-
the date the driver was packaged.

Delete it or drag it to a folder where Windows won't look for it, like
My Documents.

Open Device Manager, expand HID devices and delete the IdeaCom device.
Reboot. Done.

--
gcapp99
gcapp99's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gcapp99.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

harry

Jan 14, 2009, 8:38:12 AM1/14/09
jeffrey..yur solution works..it even deleted the wrong mouse and puts the
correct mouse back under hardware devices..thanks much..

Tommy

Jan 14, 2009, 8:39:01 AM1/14/09
When Windows Update starts, it creates a Restore Point before it modifies
anything.

I was able to get my system back to where it had been before I even ran
Windows Update by running System Restore (Start > All Programs > Accessories
> System Tools > System Restore) and then selecting that Restore Point.

Then I had to run Windows Update again to install the updates the really
wanted. This time, of course, I said Thanks but No Thanks to the Ideacom
update.
--
Tommy

Warren

Jan 14, 2009, 3:06:02 PM1/14/09
Actually this thing hijacked my PS/2 mouse when I tried it and switching over
to a USB mouse then allowed me to remove it. So I don't think this driver is
particular about what kind of pointing device you have --- whatever it is
will be hijacked. Now isn't that a friendly way to behave.

IMHO they should at least rename the update to BadIdeaCom.

"Jeffrey" wrote:
> It looks like this thing is messing up either a USB mouse setting or the
> touchpad/pointer setting.

Alias

Jan 14, 2009, 7:27:32 PM1/14/09

Two things:

Always set a restore point before doing updates. Is there one that can
take you back to before you downloaded the botched hardware driver from
Micro$lut?

Never download hardware drivers from MS. Never. Personally, I only
download security updates as I have no use for Windows Media Player 11,
Defender, No Care, etc.

Alias

Sharpe Fan

Jan 14, 2009, 7:57:20 PM1/14/09

"Jeffrey" <Jef...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I found a solution. So far this has worked for me.
>
> STEPS:
> 1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
> C:\windows\system32\drivers.
>
> 2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphidMODIFIED"
>
> 3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human
> Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under
> "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")
>
> 4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
> problem should be fixed.
>
> POSSIBLE EXPLANATION:
> If you JUST uninstall the driver under "Human Interface Devices" it will
> find the driver after the first reboot and reinstall itself. A second
> reboot
> will show that your mouse is not working again.
>
> By renaming or deleting the "idcphid.sys" file it can't reinstall itself
> apparently.

I don't have the driver "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under
"Human Interface Devices"

I did (unfortunately) do the update and lost control of my mouse unless I
use a USB port, but I don't have this file, which is the one for the update,
or at least not in the place you specified.

I do have the "idcphid.sys" file.

Do you know what would explain this and how I can get my system to run like
it used to?

I tried the restore function and it was unable to restore. I also renamed
the "idcphid.sys" file as you suggested and just rebooted. That didn't
solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.

John

onelive

Jan 15, 2009, 2:49:01 AM1/15/09
I had pretty much the same problem. After I installed the optional Hardware
update for "IdeaCom", my mouse quit working. I tried to restore, but it had
an error. Also tried to uninstall the "IdeaCom" driver (under HID heading
under device manager), but it kept reloading itself after restarting my
computer.

Well, for right now at least, I got my mouse working again and the IdeaCom
driver / HID heading is nowhere to be seen under the device manager.

What I did was I went to the IdeaCom driver under the HID heading and
clicked update driver. Afterwards, the mouse started working again and the
IdeaCom / HID heading was gone (under device manager) - don't know where it
went.

I am using a WIN XP SP3, Dell 2400 desktop w/ a regular mouse.

Hopefully this can also work for you...

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 15, 2009, 3:27:37 AM1/15/09
Another way to fix it-

For some reason, I couldn't uninstall the errant driver. But I *could*
update/replace it. So I simply mapped it to a conventional Logitech PS2
driver and voila, all is well.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

m@discussions.microsoft.com dave m

Jan 15, 2009, 3:25:01 PM1/15/09
add me to the list. running a dell inspiron e1595 with a synaptic touchpad.
failed due to this update. thanks for this post and the fix.

if ms update people reads this board... shame on you for releasing this
driver in this fashion when it's not for a device on my system! :P

Kamen

Jan 15, 2009, 4:25:05 PM1/15/09
I suggest that we tell these guys how lame they are:

http://www.ideacom.com.tw/en_4_1.htm

Alias

Jan 15, 2009, 7:48:20 PM1/15/09

Now you know that hardware drivers should be gotten from hardware
manufacturers, not Mickey Mouse. Switch to a USB mouse and update your
touch pad's drivers using the Synaptic web site and your problem should
be resolved.

The Kings of Redmond don't read this newsgroup so your plea for a fix
will fall on deaf ears.

Alias

Notan

Jan 16, 2009, 2:05:33 AM1/16/09
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Jeffrey wrote:
>> I just updated my laptop and I stupidly installed an update that
>> said it was for Ideacom Technology - Input - HID Touch Screen
>> (PS/2).
>> It was installed and it messed up my touchpad and pointer.
>> I have tried to uninstall via the Device Manager but each time I do
>> it keeps reinstalling itself.
>>
>> How do I remove this software?
>> It is not in the Add/Remove.
>
> Device Manager, Roll-Back Driver.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/driverrollback.mspx
>
> Otherwise...
>
> Go to Dell, get the latest driver for your device(s) and install them.
>
> Always go back to those who support said hardware for thehardware device
> drivers. Always ignore hardware drivers for non-microsoft products from
> Microsoft. IMHO.

Interesting...

Tuesday, when this update appeared, I chose to *not* install it.

Today, when I checked for update, it wasn't there.

Maybe some of the MS folks are listening, after all.

"Maybe" being the operative word.

--
Notan

dave m

Jan 16, 2009, 7:55:01 AM1/16/09
understood alias, i fixed it thanks to the top post in this thread. just
didn't know if ms monitored here or not. not that i care to help them either
way, just that for less technical people, this patch will screw them, and if
they went looking it would help to know that they're not alone and that it's
fixable.

dave

Matt

Jan 17, 2009, 3:52:02 PM1/17/09
Jeffrey,

This worked perfect for me. I am using windows xp. Thanks a lot.

it matter?@discussions.microsoft.com does it matter?

Jan 18, 2009, 10:36:01 PM1/18/09
hello

i also have fallen to pray to the stupid update, for me it came in automatic
updates and when i have gone to my computer/ manage then device manager and
getting rid of human interface has semi worked for me it'll make things a
little easier, i dont know if itll come back tho and thats what im waiting for

idjit

Jan 21, 2009, 4:04:09 PM1/21/09
Thanks Jeffrey that did the trick, rename, uninstall, reboot. nice and simple
and didn't require bringing up my greatest enemy Regedit.