Uninstall Windows Desktop Search & restore original search

PDKelly

Jun 28, 2008, 9:11:01 AM6/28/08
I thought I'd give the new Desktop Search a try but prefer the original that
came with XP. I've gotten rid of the new search but how do I restore the
original search that came with XP? It no longer works...

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 28, 2008, 1:16:01 PM6/28/08
Forwarded to WinXP General via crosspost.

Restore Search - Indexing Service (Line 287 Right)
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Hoolito2

Nov 2, 2008, 8:59:44 AM11/2/08

I was on the same boat as many of you. I couldn't find a reasonabe and
easy answer to my problem. Yes, you guessed it, I couldn't uninstall
Windows search. It was not even listed on my Add Remove Programs list. I
know it came with SP3 and I agreed to the installation. I didn't even
know what version I had installed.

Before I found my own answer, I came to this blog and some suggested to
mess with the registry.

Don't mess with the registry, if you don't know what you're doing or
you will end up reformatting your C:\ drive.

Instead, download and install CCleaner. Open CCleaner after
installation, go to Tools and you will find Windows Search on the
CCleaner own Uninstall list. Select it and uninstall it.

During the uninstallation process you will get a warning message
telling you that if you continue, some of the programs listed will not
work anymore. IGNORE IT! And continue with the installation. Then
re-boot.

I hope this helps. You can download CCleaner from Cnet.com

--
Hoolito2
Hoolito2's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/hoolito2.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

kms

Dec 31, 2008, 4:21:44 PM12/31/08

THANK YOU! THANK YOU. I registered on TechArena just to say this.
Somehow in installing Office 2007, I allowed an upgrade to the Instant
Search/Quick Search. It dragged down my whole modest XP system and
never seemed to work. I couldn't handle the first few tips I got from
my internet search on how to get back to the old explorer Find, so I
even tried Google Search--but who wants their results across multiple
browser pages?.

I thought I'd never be able to find files again! This advice was
perfect--simple and effective. THANK YOU!

--
kms
kms's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kms.htm

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 31, 2008, 5:35:21 PM12/31/08
And you would be replying to...?

You don't have to register at or use techarena.in to access this newsgroup

In your browser:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate

In your newsreader: