SP2 installation fails to complete

Andr0cles

Dec 17, 2006, 10:10:01 PM12/17/06
During SP2 installation, I get an error message saying "Access Denied",
followed by "Service Pack 2 installation did not complete". Anyone know why
this is, and how to work around it?

Background info:
I had a working system with SP2 installed. Then following a hardware failure
(DIMM failed), I reinstalled windows XP as a repair installation from the
original CD (pre-SP2). Then automatic updates downloaded SP2 and attempted
to install it, but failed as described above.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 18, 2006, 1:24:05 AM12/18/06
Try this:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/acdensp2.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Andr0cles" <Andr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Andr0cles

Dec 22, 2006, 1:14:01 AM12/22/06
After much persistence, I have finally achieved success. So thank-you for
your pointer to the KB article id 873148. In fact, it took me eleven
attempts before the installation finally succeeded. Each cycle of
installation and restore following a failure took about an hour, so this was
about an eleven hour operation. Along the way, these are the registry keys I
had to set permissions on:

vnd.ms.radio
ADCCtl.ADCCtl.1
IMsiServer
.msi
.msp
.hta
.ivf
HCP
ADOX.Catalog
ADOX.Column
.dsn

Anyone had to do this more than eleven times?

Bernsona5

Dec 23, 2006, 2:04:00 PM12/23/06
I am having the same problem with reinstalling sp2.After deleting it.To see
if that would fix my other problems.Like when I install aol security center,
it would reconize windows xp sp2 firewall.I would have to choose to delet
that to have aol security cener. Still today I can't fix the prblem. Can you
help? Thank You.